Author Topic: Obama rejects finding that he broke the law in Bergdahl swap  (Read 460 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/215787-obama-rejects-report-that-bergdahl-swap-was-illegal

August 22, 2014, 03:48 pm
Obama rejects finding that he broke the law in Bergdahl swap

By Justin Sink

The White House on Friday rejected findings by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office (GAO) that President Obama broke the law when he swapped Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban leaders from Guantánamo Bay.

"We strongly disagree with GAO's conclusion, and we reject the implication that the administration acted unlawfully," White House spokesman Eric Schultz said. "The president has the constitutional responsibility to protect the lives of Americans abroad, and specifically to protect U.S. servicemembers."

The GAO report, released Thursday, said the Pentagon violated a law that requires the administration to inform Congress at least 30 days before any prisoner exchange from Guantánamo Bay. It also said the Defense Department wrongly used $988,400 from a wartime appropriations to facilitate the transfer.

"The Department of Defense violated section 8111 of the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2014 when it transferred five individuals detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to the nation of Qatar without providing at least 30-days notice to certain congressional committees," the GAO wrote in its report.

Lawmakers have criticized the White House for failing to inform them about the prisoner swap and for freeing the Guantánamo detainees. Some have suggested Bergdahl, who is suspected of deserting ahead of his capture, was not worth the risk of freeing captured Taliban leaders.

The Pentagon maintained to the congressional investigators that providing notice of the exchange "would have interfered with the executive's performance of two related functions that the Constitution assigns to the president: protecting the lives of Americans abroad and protecting U.S. service members."

The GAO said it would not weigh in on the constitutionality of the law requiring congressional notification, but noted the legislation passed through the legislature and was signed by the president. But the White House seized on that point to argue that the administration's actions should not be considered a violation of the law.

"It's important for everyone here to understand that the GAO report expressly does not address the lawfulness of the administration's actions as a matter of Constitutional law," Schultz said.

On Thursday, Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said that, under the "exceptional circumstances" involved in the controversial prisoner swap, "the administration determined that it was necessary and appropriate to forego 30 days' notice."

"The executive branch must have the flexibility, among other things, to act swiftly in conducting negotiations with foreign countries regarding the circumstances of detainee transfers," Kirby said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: Obama rejects finding that he broke the law in Bergdahl swap
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »
Obama thinks he is like ship captains of old, HE is the law.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »

He's Gumby dammit!

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:52:05 pm »
Well I guess that settles that! Obama says he didn't break the law and I will be greatly surprised if even one person in official Washington challenges him on that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:01:22 pm »
Just like when Chancellor Palatine shouts "I AM THE SENATE!"
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »
When those five Taliban leaders are involved in killing American or NATO soldiers, this charlatan in the White House will be implicated in those deaths.

Lawless, clueless, and contemptible.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:13:38 pm »
When those five Taliban leaders are involved in killing American or NATO soldiers, this charlatan in the White House will be implicated in those deaths.

Lawless, clueless, and contemptible.

I really would like to believe that but I don't think the MSM would make it known.  They are still in protecting the incompetent (competent in their musings) black guy leading the country - from behind.