Author Topic: Sen. Jim Inhofe: ISIS Developing Bomb to Blow Up US City  (Read 630 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Jim Inhofe: ISIS Developing Bomb to Blow Up US City
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:38:58 am »

Sen. Jim Inhofe: ISIS Developing Bomb to Blow Up US City

Friday, August 22, 2014 08:59 AM

By: Drew MacKenzie

Oklahoma Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe has warned that Islamic State extremists are attempting to develop a weapon to blow up a major city in the United States.

"We're in the most dangerous position we've ever been in as a nation," the ranking GOP member of the Senate Armed Services Committee told Fox 25 TV in Oklahoma City.

Referring to the beheading of American journalist James Foley, Inhofe said that the terror group, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), has now set its sights on Americans and targets on U.S. soil.

"They're crazy out there, and they're rapidly developing a method of blowing up a major U.S. city, and people just can't believe that's happening," he said.

Inhofe also criticized President Barack Obama for his failure to find a strategy to deal with the ISIS crisis.

"He's going to have to come up with something that we're going to do because they're holding another hostage in place and the problem is, the president says all these things and he never does them," the senator added.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/Inhofe-ISIS-terror-US/2014/08/22/id/590280/?promo_code=E700-1&utm_source=Front_Page_Mag&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:39:34 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Sen. Jim Inhofe: ISIS Developing Bomb to Blow Up US City
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:45:00 pm »
And just how are they going to deliver something that large?

As for a nuke, they do not have that ability.  It is not something you build in a garage or tent.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:01:07 pm »
And just how are they going to deliver something that large?

As for a nuke, they do not have that ability.  It is not something you build in a garage or tent.

Garage sale in Pakistan.   You are forgetting, ISIS has millions of dollars to play with. They are far better funded that Al Qaeda, who were poor beggars in comparison. If someone is willing to sale it to them, they are more than willing to buy it.  How would they get it here? A ship pulling into a major port prior to the cargo being inspected would suffice.

But I don't think they need to go that far to get our attention. Look at the Westgate Mall attack in Keya. Imagine 3 or 4 of those simultaneously carried out on U.S. soil, with the treat of more on the way. It would bring our economy to a halt, and the terror felt tremendous.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »
I understand the need to tarnish OPapaDoc and his foreign policy record, but this kind of thing is alarmist and intended to whip the country into a frenzy to go after ISIS.  Strategically, that may not be the smartest move.  It may well be smarter to defend our interests (such as the Kurds) against ISIS but let them alone in Syria and even the Shiite portion of Iraq.  The ISIS caliphate fighting the Iranian caliphate is a win-win for us.

I think the neocon military industrial complex is in full tilt offense right now, doing everything possible to promote war.  We should be preparing for war.  But now is not the time to solve Assad's problem and Iran's problem for them.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:12 pm »
I understand the need to tarnish OPapaDoc and his foreign policy record, but this kind of thing is alarmist and intended to whip the country into a frenzy to go after ISIS.  Strategically, that may not be the smartest move.  It may well be smarter to defend our interests (such as the Kurds) against ISIS but let them alone in Syria and even the Shiite portion of Iraq.  The ISIS caliphate fighting the Iranian caliphate is a win-win for us.

I think the neocon military industrial complex is in full tilt offense right now, doing everything possible to promote war.  We should be preparing for war.  But now is not the time to solve Assad's problem and Iran's problem for them.

I wholeheartedly agree with respect to using this sort of alarmism.  Fear mongering is fear mongering, and it is never a valid replacement for rational persuasive discussion.  I happen to believe that there are valid reasons for going after ISIS now, not the least because we may be the only ones in a position to stop them from massacring one of the few groups of people who have been our consistent allies in Iraq - the Kurds - as well as from committing what amounts to genocide on the yazidi people.  They have clearly demonstrated both the will and the ability to commit large scale massacres and genocide, and I am of the view that that is a strong basis for attacking them, regardless of whether Iran and/or Syria gains some additional benefit from that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:18:01 pm by Oceander »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
But I don't think they need to go that far to get our attention. Look at the Westgate Mall attack in Keya. Imagine 3 or 4 of those simultaneously carried out on U.S. soil, with the treat of more on the way. It would bring our economy to a halt, and the terror felt tremendous.

Something like that is far more likely than a nuke.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't already happened or something like mass suicide bombers at malls during Christmas or at numerous sporting events at the same time.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »
Something like that is far more likely than a nuke.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't already happened or something like mass suicide bombers at malls during Christmas or at numerous sporting events at the same time.

It won't happen. Not for years. ISIL is organized as hell and they are very methodical. First they'll carve out their caliphate, than they'll deal with the immediate neighbours. Only after that will they get around to the US and Europe.

Think of this like a rattlesnake's warning buzz. They are saying leave us alone to do our thing, or you'll be in a world of hurt.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink