Author Topic: Romney: It's Ryan's turn to run for president  (Read 1031 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney: It's Ryan's turn to run for president
« on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/215736-romney-its-paul-ryans-turn-to-run-for-president#ixzz3B7rpSyel

August 22, 2014, 07:16 am
Romney: It's Ryan's turn to run for president

By Mario Trujillo

Mitt Romney on Thursday night said that Rep. Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) should make his own run for president in 2016.

"He's very generous. But I had my turn. It's his turn now," Romney, the 2012 GOP nominee, said about his former vice presidential running mate.

Romney made the comments during a joint interview with Ryan on Fox News — their first since the failed campaign. The two later appeared at an event in Chicago, where Romney quizzed Ryan about his new book, "The Way Forward."

During the interview, they were asked who would make a better president.

"I'll give it to him," Ryan said. Ryan has asserted he would like to see Romney run for president a third time, something the former Massachusetts governor has continually ruled out.

The interview also touched on President Obama's foreign policy and the events taking place in Ferguson, Mo.

Romney pointed to Hillary Clinton's disagreement with Obama about not arming Syrian rebels soon enough and her criticism that: “Great nations need organizing principles, and ‘don’t do stupid stuff’ is not an organizing principle."

Clinton later called Obama to assure him the comments were not an attack on his administration.

"I think Hillary Clinton tried to explain it by saying there wasn't a foreign policy in effect," Romney said. "And rarely did I agree with what Hillary Clinton had to say, but on that topic I think we agreed."

He said it is strange that Clinton, a likely candidate for president, is now trying to distance herself from the administration after serving as secretary of State for four years. 

He also called the administration's attempted reset with Russia during Obama’s first term "one of the most embarrassing incidents in American foreign policy."

On the protests in Ferguson following the police shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, Romney said the Justice Department has had an "appropriate level of involvement."

"I think that the federal government needed to communicate that this is a high priority and provide confidence to the people in the community that this was not going to be swept under the rug," he said.

Ryan agreed, saying, "We all have to take a deep breath, not prejudge this situation and make sure that the truth comes out so that justice can be served."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Romney: It's Ryan's turn to run for president
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:09:47 pm »
Ryan, if nominated, would be next in a line of unelectable Republican nominees.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:49:00 pm »
Ryan, if nominated, would be next in a line of unelectable Republican nominees.

IF he get's the nomination it will be over the STRONG objection of conservatives everywhere. I don't think that will happen this time.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »
Here's the irony - he's one of the few people who, like Romney, might actually make a competent president - but we'll never know because the left and the right can agree on one thing - they all hate him because he's not just like they are.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:27:31 pm »
We're almost through with Obama's reign of terror (okay, a little over dramatic).

But, keeping in mind that Obama's an example of an extreme leftist in the oval office, I'd be happy to get a Trumanesque-type Democrat in the WH, or an empty can of orange juice. Both roughly the same.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:58:12 pm »
No, no, and f-ing NO.

Ryan wants to ensure the complete destruction of the Republican Party and this country by giving 30+ million illegals citizenship.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »
No, no, and f-ing NO.

Ryan wants to ensure the complete destruction of the Republican Party and this country by giving 30+ million illegals citizenship.

I don't think Truman would've signed on to that! Or any American president pre-Kennedy.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:20:40 pm »
"He's very generous. But I had my turn. It's his turn now," Romney, the 2012 GOP nominee, said about his former vice presidential running mate.

Romney doesn't begin to agree with that statement.  He wants the job, is qualified and maybe has learned the mistakes of 2012.  Ryan could do a competent job, but his leadership quals are lacking, and by 2016 if not already, most of America sees what a lack of leadership experience and skills can result in.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:17:42 am »
Romney doesn't begin to agree with that statement.  He wants the job, is qualified and maybe has learned the mistakes of 2012.  Ryan could do a competent job, but his leadership quals are lacking, and by 2016 if not already, most of America sees what a lack of leadership experience and skills can result in.

I would in the main tend to agree.  Thinking over my comments viz. Ryan - I don't think he really has the yen to be a leader the way that the president needs to be a leader - Reagan was a leader and even Clinton was a leader, both more so than Ryan.  Ryan is a good policy driver, is perhaps the better word.  He probably would have made a pretty decent vice president and would probably make a very good long-term leader in Congress.

Romney, I think, has the potential to be a leader in that vein - I think we saw some glimpses of it in the 2012 campaigns - but he didn't let that potential blossom in 2012 which, I think, hurt his chances.  I think with a little more attention he could achieve the same sort of kitchen-table demeanor that Reagan managed - not as a copy or clone of Reagan, but in a similar way, akin to Reagan - and that would generate the sort of attraction a leader begets, and which I think was lacking a bit in 2012.  This is particularly the case when he started to pull his punches against Obuttocks.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:25:02 am »
IF he get's the nomination it will be over the STRONG objection of conservatives everywhere. I don't think that will happen this time.

well...there's that ACU lifetime rating of 91%, so probably not everywhere.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 12:30:50 am »
well...there's that ACU lifetime rating of 91%, so probably not everywhere.

ACU ratings seem to me like opinions, everyone's got one and most are no better than anyone elses.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:52 am »
I would in the main tend to agree.  Thinking over my comments viz. Ryan - I don't think he really has the yen to be a leader the way that the president needs to be a leader - Reagan was a leader and even Clinton was a leader, both more so than Ryan.  Ryan is a good policy driver, is perhaps the better word.  He probably would have made a pretty decent vice president and would probably make a very good long-term leader in Congress.

Romney, I think, has the potential to be a leader in that vein - I think we saw some glimpses of it in the 2012 campaigns - but he didn't let that potential blossom in 2012 which, I think, hurt his chances.  I think with a little more attention he could achieve the same sort of kitchen-table demeanor that Reagan managed - not as a copy or clone of Reagan, but in a similar way, akin to Reagan - and that would generate the sort of attraction a leader begets, and which I think was lacking a bit in 2012.  This is particularly the case when he started to pull his punches against Obuttocks.

Yes, whether we agree with everything Romney has done, he's a conservative and has demonstrated leadership in several areas, business, government and the Olympics.  You're right, his fighting skills were less than apparent in 2012, which I assume he has thought about for the past couple of years.  Ryan as you say, would make a great policy developer, but little evidence of being an implementer.  In any case, the difference between Romney and the current office holder is astronomical.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:55 am »
(I promised myself I'd keep my powder dry on Romney but I keep getting drawn in)

If Romney ran again, I'd support him. I want someone dull in the White House, not a party animal but an economic geek. After having a communist in the White House even Romney looks conservative.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:23 am »

ACU ratings seem to me like opinions, everyone's got one and most are no better than anyone elses.

True, though with the ACU, they at least measure it against 25 major bills each year, and what they consider as "conservative" positions...as opposed to just single issue organizations.  And those who consider him anything but conservative have to at least consider such metrics.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 12:45:48 am »
Message to GOP: Screw your silly-ass "turn system"! Try thinking out of the box for a change!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 12:47:44 am »
(I promised myself I'd keep my powder dry on Romney but I keep getting drawn in)

If Romney ran again, I'd support him. I want someone dull in the White House, not a party animal but an economic geek. After having a communist in the White House even Romney looks conservative.

I think about Obama holding a meeting, trying to understand the issues.  Does he ask probing questions?  I seriously doubt it as he is likely afraid of having to express an opinion on the answers and worse having to make decisions in such groups as his National Security Council.  Romney however thrives on such interaction.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 12:49:24 am »
Message to GOP: Screw your silly-ass "turn system"! Try thinking out of the box for a change!

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 01:18:33 am »
Yes, whether we agree with everything Romney has done, he's a conservative and has demonstrated leadership in several areas, business, government and the Olympics.  You're right, his fighting skills were less than apparent in 2012, which I assume he has thought about for the past couple of years.  Ryan as you say, would make a great policy developer, but little evidence of being an implementer.  In any case, the difference between Romney and the current office holder is astronomical.

Hate to disagree but I think you've understated the difference between Romney and the current office holder by several orders of magnitude!  :silly:

With the rest, I agree.  I was initially less than keen on Romney based on some of the things he did as governor of Mass., but as things went on he certainly grew on me and by the general election I quite happily voted for him, not just against Obama.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:21:04 am by Oceander »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 01:28:42 am »
Hate to disagree but I think you've understated the difference between Romney and the current office holder by several orders of magnitude!  :silly:

Well just damn...my old comptometer has always worked in the past.  :pondering:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »

:thumbsup3: :thumbsup3: :thumbsup3:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 08:52:34 pm »
What do they do? Draw numbers at the Bob Dole Deli, while the juke box plays "It's My Turn"?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee