Author Topic: Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon  (Read 2216 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:17:11 pm »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/21/us-usa-islamicstate-idUSKBN0GL24V20140821

Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon

WASHINGTON Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:53pm EDT

(Reuters) - The sophistication, wealth and military might of Islamic State militants pose a major threat to the United States that may surpass that from al Qaeda, U.S. military leaders said on Thursday.

"They are an imminent threat to every interest we have, whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters at the Pentagon about the militant group, which has seized a third of Iraq and released a video this week showing one of its fighters beheading an American hostage.

Asked if Islamic State posed a threat to the United States comparable to that of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Hagel said the group was "as sophisticated and well-funded as any group we have seen.

"They are beyond just a terrorist group. They marry ideology, a sophistication of ... military prowess. They are tremendously well-funded. This is beyond anything we've seen."

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the group could pose a direct threat to Western countries through the return of European or U.S. nationals to their home countries after having fought in Syria or Iraq.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:24 pm »
I was wondering when we'd get a new boogeyman to keep the cash flowing into the military-industrial complex.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »
I was wondering when we'd get a new boogeyman to keep the cash flowing into the military-industrial complex.

/snicker

can't you come up with anything even slightly less cliched?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:10 pm »

/snicker

can't you come up with anything even slightly less cliched?

Apparently not. I personally find it way too convenient that we all of a sudden have the perfect justification for waging more war in Iraq. However I am just a conspiracy nut, so pay no attention. It's not like we had anything to do with these guys becoming more militarized...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:51:57 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:50:58 am »
Apparently not. I personally find it way too convenient that we all of a sudden have the perfect justification for waging more war in Iraq. However I am just a conspiracy nut, so pay no attention. It's not like we had anything to do with these guys becoming more militarized...

I think we had a LOT, if not EVERYTHING to do with ISIS being trained and equipped with our weapons.  All these little rebel groups that Obama & Co wanted to overthrow the old bosses, you know we helped them!

I'm not sure if the intention is to help the military/industrial complex though - I'm thinking more that the intention is to help the Muslim Brotherhood take over the Middle East.  The joke is on the buffoonish Obama, Hillary & Kerry though, because once we help them with the Middle East - they will come for the rest of the world.  It's apocalyptic. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Dexter

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
I think we had a LOT, if not EVERYTHING to do with ISIS being trained and equipped with our weapons. 

That's what I was implying with my sarcasm there.  :-P

I'm not sure if the intention is to help the military/industrial complex though - I'm thinking more that the intention is to help the Muslim Brotherhood take over the Middle East.  The joke is on the buffoonish Obama, Hillary & Kerry though, because once we help them with the Middle East - they will come for the rest of the world.  It's apocalyptic.

Do you think Obama is intentionally trying to bring an apocalypse, or does he have something else to gain? Who benefits the most from perpetual war in the Middle East? There is no way these guys would ever become more than just a nuisance. We have more military might than the rest of the world combined. The entirety of the rest of the world could try to conquer us and at most we would destroy each other. If the threat they pose it terrorist attacks, well, there is nothing we can do about that anyway. If extremists in the Middle East or anywhere else want to use sneak attacks on us, there is a good chance they will be successful. It's damn near impossible to track and stop a well planned sneak attack. ISIS being a military power in the Middle East or not doesn't change that in any way.

However I personally feel that us getting the hell out of there and letting the Middle East deal with its own problems would increase the likelihood of them NOT attacking us. One of the most common messages to us from these terrorists is that they want us out of their countries and they want us to let them resolve their own issues. On that much I am inclined to agree with them. Dropping more bombs and killing more people isn't going to make Middle East extremists any less likely to attack us. The state of things right now makes it clear to me that not only have we not made the situation over there better, we have actually managed to make it worse.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:20:22 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »

This "boogeyman" you speak of want your head and mine on a pike, and for them to claim world domination as they usher in their twisted version of the end-of-days. And us pulling back and letting the Middle East solve their own problems is a sign of short sightedness at best.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:25:45 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Dexter

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 12:27:18 pm »
This "boogeyman" you speak of want your head and mine on a pike, and for them to claim world domination as they usher in their twisted version of the end-of-days. And us pulling back and letting the Middle East solve their own problems is a sign of short sightedness at best.

How much success do you think ISIS is going to have when they storm the Californian coastline?
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:43:08 pm »
However I personally feel that us getting the hell out of there and letting the Middle East deal with its own problems would increase the likelihood of them NOT attacking us.

:silly:

As a veteran, it sickens me to think about how many of my brothers and sisters in uniform as well as civilians have died or have been maimed by Islamic Fanciest, and this goes back to the Marine barracks bombing in Lebanon back when I served. Tens of thousands of good people, and I’m tired of it. This evil must be destroyed.   Ignoring them is NOT going to get them to ignore us – just the opposite. Do I need to remind you that the first attempt to blow up the foundation of one of the Twin Towers so it would topple over on the other, happened during a placid time in 1993 when we were ignoring the Middle east?  And again in 2001 we were again just going about our business with our heads in the sand. Your belief that if we leave them alone they will leave us alone is lunacy.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »
:silly:

As a veteran, it sickens me to think about how many of my brothers and sisters in uniform as well as civilians have died or have been maimed by Islamic Fanciest, and this goes back to the Marine barracks bombing in Lebanon back when I served. Tens of thousands of good people, and I’m tired of it. This evil must be destroyed.   Ignoring them is NOT going to get them to ignore us – just the opposite. Do I need to remind you that the first attempt to blow up the foundation of one of the Twin Towers so it would topple over on the other, happened during a placid time in 1993 when we were ignoring the Middle east?  And again in 2001 we were again just going about our business with our heads in the sand. Your belief that if we leave them alone they will leave us alone is lunacy.

There is a fundamental difference between our brothers gone thanks to the Tali's or AQ and the damage being done by ISIL. ISIL is an army, and the media won't admit that. You still get pictures of ragged looking Arabs waving guns in the street and they are not like that at all. They are formidably organized, battle hardened thanks to Syria and they have some wickedly effective and inventive commanders. Some of the tactics are sheer genius.

I too am in favor of destroying every last one of them. This is one time that simply cutting off the head of the beast won't do. They won't splinter into factions this time - they have and believe in a very specific goal.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:54:19 pm »
How much success do you think ISIS is going to have when they storm the Californian coastline?

If they would only just pull up in Higgins boats – but come on you know that is not how they operate.   Do you even remember the two attacks on the Twin Towers in 1993, and 2001?  A sleeper cell launching a Westgate Shopping Mall type of attack is tens of thousands of times more likely than some invasion that could be turned back.   

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 01:02:16 pm »
Not to worry, everyone, the state dept. rejects ISIS statement it is at war with America.  Lurch has this one covered. :3:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:22 pm »

I'm curious.  Why do you think this administration is looking for "the perfect justification for waging more war in Iraq?"

I know leftists made up all kinds of silliness about why Bush went into Iraq, but what exactly are you saying is the reason Obama/Hagel want to go into Iraq?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 02:18:47 pm »

That's what I was implying with my sarcasm there.  :-P

Do you think Obama is intentionally trying to bring an apocalypse, or does he have something else to gain? Who benefits the most from perpetual war in the Middle East? There is no way these guys would ever become more than just a nuisance. We have more military might than the rest of the world combined. The entirety of the rest of the world could try to conquer us and at most we would destroy each other. If the threat they pose it terrorist attacks, well, there is nothing we can do about that anyway. If extremists in the Middle East or anywhere else want to use sneak attacks on us, there is a good chance they will be successful. It's damn near impossible to track and stop a well planned sneak attack. ISIS being a military power in the Middle East or not doesn't change that in any way.

However I personally feel that us getting the hell out of there and letting the Middle East deal with its own problems would increase the likelihood of them NOT attacking us. One of the most common messages to us from these terrorists is that they want us out of their countries and they want us to let them resolve their own issues. On that much I am inclined to agree with them. Dropping more bombs and killing more people isn't going to make Middle East extremists any less likely to attack us. The state of things right now makes it clear to me that not only have we not made the situation over there better, we have actually managed to make it worse.

The wild card in this whole thing is the religious fanatic part.  You can't predict or reason with that kind of thinking - you will always be on the defensive end of it. 

Yes, the old-school hawks and neo-cons did a bang-up job with the whole military/industrial complex thing - but it was necessary for the enemy we had at the time - the USSR.  Big machines and weapons.  Still do have to worry about that too, but now we have a different kind of enemy.  They're scattering all over the globe and laying their eggs everywhere - eggs that will hatch into a new religious fanatic that believes their religion tells them to kill innocent people in the name of Allah. 

Add to that grim picture - and we now have a leader that was actually brought up in that kind of society.  We have a leader whose first instinct and knee-jerk reaction is to naturally sympathize and understand the thinking of this new enemy of ours. 

Forget yesterday's thinking on the military industrial complex - this terrifying enemy doesn't care what you do - they hate you because you will not submit to THEM.  They are the most horrific bullies you can imagine in your worst nightmare - they won't come en masse to our shores until their implanted cells surround us all and rip our society apart with us always looking over our shoulder in fearful trepidations of where they will attack next.  THEN, their armies will come.

Their goal is a world-wide Caliphate and they don't care what they have to do to get it.  When you have a barbaric and ruthless bully enemy like that - all you can do is go medieval on them! 

If someone is going around your house at night, and setting little fires all over the place - you better damn well put those little fires out - or it's all going to go up in flames.  You don't worry about WHY they're doing it- you just have to STOP it now!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 02:21:49 pm »

The wild card in this whole thing is the religious fanatic part.  You can't predict or reason with that kind of thinking - you will always be on the defensive end of it. 

Yes, the old-school hawks and neo-cons did a bang-up job with the whole military/industrial complex thing - but it was necessary for the enemy we had at the time - the USSR.  Big machines and weapons.  Still do have to worry about that too, but now we have a different kind of enemy.  They're scattering all over the globe and laying their eggs everywhere - eggs that will hatch into a new religious fanatic that believes their religion tells them to kill innocent people in the name of Allah. 

Add to that grim picture - and we now have a leader that was actually brought up in that kind of society.  We have a leader whose first instinct and knee-jerk reaction is to naturally sympathize and understand the thinking of this new enemy of ours. 

Forget yesterday's thinking on the military industrial complex - this terrifying enemy doesn't care what you do - they hate you because you will not submit to THEM.  They are the most horrific bullies you can imagine in your worst nightmare - they won't come en masse to our shores until their implanted cells surround us all and rip our society apart with us always looking over our shoulder in fearful trepidations of where they will attack next.  THEN, their armies will come.

Their goal is a world-wide Caliphate and they don't care what they have to do to get it.  When you have a barbaric and ruthless bully enemy like that - all you can do is go medieval on them! 

If someone is going around your house at night, and setting little fires all over the place - you better damn well put those little fires out - or it's all going to go up in flames.  You don't worry about WHY they're doing it- you just have to STOP it now!

goopo
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
There is a fundamental difference between our brothers gone thanks to the Tali's or AQ and the damage being done by ISIL. ISIL is an army, and the media won't admit that. You still get pictures of ragged looking Arabs waving guns in the street and they are not like that at all. They are formidably organized, battle hardened thanks to Syria and they have some wickedly effective and inventive commanders. Some of the tactics are sheer genius.

I too am in favor of destroying every last one of them. This is one time that simply cutting off the head of the beast won't do. They won't splinter into factions this time - they have and believe in a very specific goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ugVorF6TayU

I agree with him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »

Watch their actions, just don't listen to what they say.  That's my advice on this.

Overseas:  How are they going to prosecute the war?  Are we going to be in it, to win it?  Or are we going to stick with the low-grade, perpetual war model?  That should provide insight as to whether or not the US (along with any willing allies) are intent on stopping this global threat, or are merely interested in plundering the treasury (and future) and willing to expend countless lives of the US (and allies) to continue to play a game of cat and mouse for years without end.  (Are we going to keep insisting on building roads & schools that will be destroyed within weeks of building/re-building?  Are we going to continue the decades old model of propping up one dictator after another, until said dictator is no longer "our dictator?"  Are we going to insist on attempting to force western style democracies onto feudal societies with centuries old "red lines" of their own?)

Domestic:  How are we going to go about weeding out the threat from within?  Will we be smart and target the groups within their communities and gathering places?  Will we be unapologetic about either deporting or imprisoning those that are fomenting terrorism (no matter what form it takes)?  Or are we going to continue to infringe upon the Liberties and Freedom of ALL Americans (so that we can be "fair")?  (Shall we keep fretting and wringing our hands about "training camps" built on the other side of the globe, while we allow the radicalization of American born terrorists in California??  (See the threads here about the latest guy currently locked up for 4 "jihad against Americans" murders in Seattle and NJ.)  Are we going to keep hardening the police state in America because of constant and escalating threats from terrorists that we refuse to deal with properly??

(You know my take on this, I am a part of a small minority that believes that Western Civilization must confront the scourge of islam and drive it out of Western Civilization, root and branch.  (Think of Fishhrman's "Apple Tree" analogy!)  But at the present I see no evidence that Western Civilization (except in small pockets, e.g., some European countries that are a decade or so further down the invasion road than the US) is anywhere close to becoming willing to call a Spade, a Spade, and deal with it appropriately.

So as I say, watch how the US proceeds along these lines, that'll give you an indication of what beasts are being served.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 03:00:13 pm »
You're absolutely right Katz!

:amen:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »
Katz gets a salute from me, too!   :patriot:

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 04:16:27 pm »

Gee, and poor judgment and lack of understanding to boot.

Did I ever say that "we" had nothing to do with arming, or helping to arm, these terrorists?  No, I did not.  In point of fact, I agree that we did.  Where we part company is that I prefer a little more reality and a lot less cliche than you apparently do.  The role we played (and continue to play) in arming groups like this has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with that cliched bogey man, the Military/Industrial Complex.  The political role during the Cold War had to do with fighting by proxy:  conflicts between the Soviet Union and the US (or sometimes China and the US) that were real but which were not so important that the two superpowers could risk becoming directly involved, in large part because that would run the risk of a Vietnam-style loss (and loss of face).  The trouble with war by proxy is that the proxies (a) usually don't agree with the principals when the war is over and (b) usually have a lot of left-over equipment that, once let off-leash by their principals, they turn to a variety of other projects, many of which had been suppressed by the principal during the proxy war.  You saw this, for example, with the arming of the Afghan rebels during the Soviet occupation - which was, in fact, one of the few pairs of clay shoes Reagan wore.

Then there are more abject failures - also known as liberal democrat party policies - such as Obama's ignominious abdication in Iraq which left tons and tons of material in the hands of weak local forces whom ideologically driven terrorists like ISIS could overwhelm with ease.  Had Obama not abdicated his responsibility as Commander in Chief to the luddites, antediluvians, and "useful idiots" - otherwise known as the democrat party base - and maintained US forces in Iraq, these weapons would not have fallen into ISIS' hands.

In other words, the reason ISIS is so well armed now has very little to do with the MILITARY/INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX (looks so much more scary in all caps, don't it) and everything to do with liberal democrat party politics.

To be perfectly blunt, 'twas Barack Obama and the liberal democrats who armed ISIS.

I'd suggest a return to high school, but unfortunately these days you wouldn't learn a whit more of real history or real thought.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:36 pm »

/snicker

strawman argument.  are you saying that the 9/11 hijackers stormed the coastlines in Boston and New York City?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »
Watch their actions, just don't listen to what they say.  That's my advice on this.

Overseas:  How are they going to prosecute the war?  Are we going to be in it, to win it?  Or are we going to stick with the low-grade, perpetual war model?  That should provide insight as to whether or not the US (along with any willing allies) are intent on stopping this global threat, or are merely interested in plundering the treasury (and future) and willing to expend countless lives of the US (and allies) to continue to play a game of cat and mouse for years without end.  (Are we going to keep insisting on building roads & schools that will be destroyed within weeks of building/re-building?  Are we going to continue the decades old model of propping up one dictator after another, until said dictator is no longer "our dictator?"  Are we going to insist on attempting to force western style democracies onto feudal societies with centuries old "red lines" of their own?)

Domestic:  How are we going to go about weeding out the threat from within?  Will we be smart and target the groups within their communities and gathering places?  Will we be unapologetic about either deporting or imprisoning those that are fomenting terrorism (no matter what form it takes)?  Or are we going to continue to infringe upon the Liberties and Freedom of ALL Americans (so that we can be "fair")?  (Shall we keep fretting and wringing our hands about "training camps" built on the other side of the globe, while we allow the radicalization of American born terrorists in California??  (See the threads here about the latest guy currently locked up for 4 "jihad against Americans" murders in Seattle and NJ.)  Are we going to keep hardening the police state in America because of constant and escalating threats from terrorists that we refuse to deal with properly??

(You know my take on this, I am a part of a small minority that believes that Western Civilization must confront the scourge of islam and drive it out of Western Civilization, root and branch.  (Think of Fishhrman's "Apple Tree" analogy!)  But at the present I see no evidence that Western Civilization (except in small pockets, e.g., some European countries that are a decade or so further down the invasion road than the US) is anywhere close to becoming willing to call a Spade, a Spade, and deal with it appropriately.

So as I say, watch how the US proceeds along these lines, that'll give you an indication of what beasts are being served.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   :patriot:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »
If they would only just pull up in Higgins boats – but come on you know that is not how they operate.   Do you even remember the two attacks on the Twin Towers in 1993, and 2001?  A sleeper cell launching a Westgate Shopping Mall type of attack is tens of thousands of times more likely than some invasion that could be turned back.   

As I mentioned above, waging war in the Middle East will not make us any safer from terrorist attacks. Unless your goal is the complete extermination of giant groups of people in the Middle East there is really nothing we can do about nut jobs that sneak attack us.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:39 pm »
what exactly are you saying is the reason Obama/Hagel want to go into Iraq?

I thought my first post made that clear.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »

ISIS does not have the means to wage actual war against the United States. They wouldn't even stand a chance against Israel. If those are the goals of ISIS, their leadership is going to have a very rude awakening. If we decide to take them out we will do so easily. They could never pose a real threat to U.S citizens on U.S soil. You may be thinking "terrorist attacks" but I would like to once again reiterate that waging war in the Middle East is not going to decrease the likelihood of us getting hit by another sneak attack.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:26:54 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates