Author Topic:  (Read 325 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:29:14 PM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »
Looks like the FRC's Sprigg is going to pick up where Rev. Phelps left off. A narrow but deep niche.

He hasn't looked into A.A. very deeply, or he would have hesitated to use the analogy.

People in A.A. don't condemn drinking, or claim it is immoral. Is Sprigg prepared to state he feels that way about homosexuality? I didn't think so.

And while modern science has moved in the direction of alcoholism/drug addiction as an illness of sorts (disease theory), science regarding homosexuality has moved in the opposite direction.

But it should serve Sprigg as an adequate (narrow) niche for the duration of his career. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
And you take Slate.com as the truth?  They are so far to the left they make DailyKos look normal.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »
Looks like the FRC's Sprigg is going to pick up where Rev. Phelps left off. A narrow but deep niche.

He hasn't looked into A.A. very deeply, or he would have hesitated to use the analogy.

People in A.A. don't condemn drinking, or claim it is immoral. Is Sprigg prepared to state he feels that way about homosexuality? I didn't think so.

And while modern science has moved in the direction of alcoholism/drug addiction as an illness of sorts (disease theory), science regarding homosexuality has moved in the opposite direction.

But it should serve Sprigg as an adequate (narrow) niche for the duration of his career.

Can't disagree with any of this.

The FRC is becoming a fringe group.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
In reverse:

Slate.com Abuses Robin Williams's Death to Promote Homosexual Propaganda

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
Can't disagree with any of this.

The FRC is becoming a fringe group.
Yet a visit to Dr. Dobson has been obligatory for GOP candidates.

Conservatism in America has morphed from Goldwater-Friedman classical liberalism (secular state), to right wing religious fundamentalists.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »

Conservatism in America has morphed from Goldwater-Friedman classical liberalism (secular state), to right wing religious fundamentalists.

The caveat is that it's social conservatism.  I'm mostly a social liberal, and I don't go to church, but I believe in keeping as much money as possible in the hands of those who earn it.  I'm more of a Reagan or Limbaugh conservative in that I tend to focus more on fiscal and security issues, and how to effectively have government administrate the best solutions to each.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:02:25 PM by jmyrlefuller »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf