Author Topic: 'The End of SeaWorld'  (Read 1086 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'The End of SeaWorld'
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kenneth-lerer/the-end-of-seaworld_b_5680119.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000044

Kenneth Lerer Become a fan
Co-founder of the Huffington Post

'The End of SeaWorld'
Posted: 08/14/2014 6:01 pm EDT Updated: 08/15/2014 11:59 am EDT

SeaWorld, as we know it today, is over. It's only a matter of time. The company is finished. Here's why.

1. The SeaWorld brand is now tarnished, at best. Toxic? Likely. The brand represents the torture of whales for an increasing population of concerned citizens. If you love whales (and who doesn't), you don't like SeaWorld.

2. Wall Street has turned on SeaWorld. The stock is down over the last year by 45% and $1.6 billion in market cap has evaporated. You can sometimes fight City Hall, but it's nearly impossible to fight Wall Street. And Wall Street is done with SeaWorld.

3. Consumers are turning away from SeaWorld with attendance dropping 4.3 percent over the first 6 months of 2014. It takes forever and a day for consumers to return to a company once they have walked away. And they usually never come back.

4. The internet has turned against SeaWorld. "Blackfish," The Oceanic Preservation Society, The Dodo, over 100,000 users on Change.org and many other sites have made it their business to actively campaign against SeaWorld's mistreatment of animals. SeaWorld can't survive that, plain and simple.

5. SeaWorld has proven itself totally inept in dealing with 1, 2, 3 and 4. They haven't got a clue.

Business as usual is not a solution. SeaWorld can hold on for a few more years, as its stock continues to fall into the single digits and its market cap becomes untenable. Or SeaWorld management and investors can hit the reset button. Begin a program to provide a better life for the whales it has in captivity, be a world-wide leader and symbol of caring for animals, save its brand and save the company. I'm sure they can figure out a better use for those tanks.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: 'The End of SeaWorld'
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:24:31 pm »
It's a shame. There used to be a SeaWorld in NE Ohio. It was really a great experience. However, if I had known of the mistreatment of the animals, I wouldn't have gone.

Surely a similar experience can be crafted without animal abuse?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:41:28 pm »
It's a shame. There used to be a SeaWorld in NE Ohio. It was really a great experience. However, if I had known of the mistreatment of the animals, I wouldn't have gone.

Sandusky?.....I think in that area....anyhoo took my boys there several times when they were young
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:49:57 pm »
Sandusky?.....I think in that area....anyhoo took my boys there several times when they were young

No, closer to Cleveland, Aurora to be exact. Sandusky is where Cedar Point is located.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:28 pm »
Yeah, Sea World treated the animals badly, but the bright side I try to draw from all of it is that millions and millions of people became captivated by and fell in love with these animals which resulted in them caring about their well-being in the wild. I like to think that the sacrifices of these animals are not completely in vain.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:49:14 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:10:28 pm »
Yeah, Sea World treated the animals badly, but the bright side I try to draw from all of it is that millions and millions of people became captivated by and fell in love with these animals which resulted in them caring about their well-being in the wild. I like to think that the sacrifices of these animals are not completely in vain.

goopo

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:31:47 pm »
Hard to say. The Canadian “clone,” if you will, of SeaWorld, MarineLand of Niagara Falls, Ontario, has been dogged by many of these same allegations for a very long time. So it may be something systemic to the industry, sadly.

Or just another case of environmentalists run amok.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024