Author Topic: The 3 Dumbest Things About Whole Foods Market  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
The 3 Dumbest Things About Whole Foods Market
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »
Steven Salzberg
Forbes
August 18, 2014

I have a love-hate relationship with Whole Foods Market. On the one hand, I love their fresh produce, their baked goods, and many other food choices there. On the other hand, they have embraced anti-science positions in the interest of keeping everything "natural."
More

Offline GourmetDan

Re: The 3 Dumbest Things About Whole Foods Market
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »

Those don't seem to be such bad things.

The GMO stance in particular.  I wonder about all of this bt corn that we're eating.  Doesn't seem like a good idea to ingest that much pesticide...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:10:18 am »
Interesting that they don't sell aspirin because it's supposedly not natural. Apparently they don't realize that aspirin is (or at least was originally, not sure of how they do it now) a tree bark extract and in fact can be found naturally.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:24:53 am »
Interesting that they don't sell aspirin because it's supposedly not natural. Apparently they don't realize that aspirin is (or at least was originally, not sure of how they do it now) a tree bark extract and in fact can be found naturally.

Salicylic acid, it's from a willow tree bark - but I think it is synthesized now. 

I have to admit I'm a natural foods and natural healing kind of hippie woman, and I always have been.  I just think that God made everything pretty perfect the way things grow in nature.  I'm not putting anyone down that has a different opinion, and I don't want to be convinced otherwise - I'm pretty happy with my position.

And I don't like Monsanto. 

I do like Whole Foods though, wish we had one around here where I live. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:56:48 am »
Salicylic acid, it's from a willow tree bark - but I think it is synthesized now. 

I have to admit I'm a natural foods and natural healing kind of hippie woman, and I always have been.  I just think that God made everything pretty perfect the way things grow in nature.  I'm not putting anyone down that has a different opinion, and I don't want to be convinced otherwise - I'm pretty happy with my position.

And I don't like Monsanto. 

I do like Whole Foods though, wish we had one around here where I live.

:thumbsup2: