Author Topic: White House hasn’t ruled out sending Obama to Ferguson  (Read 697 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House hasn’t ruled out sending Obama to Ferguson
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:40:27 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/215489-white-house-hasnt-ruled-out-sending-obama-to-ferguson

By Amie Parnes - 08/19/14 11:27 AM EDT

The White House has weighed sending President Obama to Ferguson, Mo., and has not ruled out a visit in upcoming weeks, according to sources familiar with the internal decisionmaking.

For now, the White House believes a trip by Obama to Ferguson would do more harm than good, by diverting resources on the ground at a pivotal time for law enforcement.

One senior administration official familiar with the talks said Obama didn’t rule a trip in or out at this point, but added that there are no immediate plans for the president to go to the St. Louis suburb.

A presidential trip would require heavy security at a time when state and local authorities, along with the Missouri National Guard, are dealing with demonstrations, protests and looting in the wake of the killing by a police officer of an unarmed black teenager.

Another night of clashes between police and demonstrators erupted Monday, leading to dozens of arrests and reports of shots being fired by some protestors.

“The volatility of the situation demands that the president go down there when the time is right to make sense of what is going on in Ferguson,” said Jim Manley, a Democratic strategist and a former longtime aide to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Manley expressed some skepticism about what the White House can do to ease the violence. Obama has called for calm twice this week, observers point out, and nightly outbreaks have continued to occur.

“I am not sure what more the White House can do except around the margins, like clamping down the programs that is giving all this military equipment to police departments,” Manley said. “This is less, I think, about legislating than changing people's hearts and minds.”

Obama announced Monday that Attorney General Eric Holder will visit the area on Wednesday. The Department of Justice's Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Director Ronald Davis is also being dispatched the areas to advise law enforcement officials there.

On Tuesday, Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who has spoken with the president in recent days, called an Obama visit a “bad idea” because of the strain it would put on local police.

“A presidential visit requires a lot of security from local officials,” McCaskill said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." “Right now out local officials have their hands full. It is a very bad time for a presidential visit for the practical reasons — many of these people are not getting enough sleep. We are really taxing all of the jurisdictions on the police forces.”

Obama did not directly answer a question posed to him by a reporter Monday about whether he considered visiting the community, which has seen an outbreak in violence over the last two weeks since the shooting.

Taking a neutral approach, Obama said he has to be “very careful about not prejudging these events before investigations are completed.”

“The [Department of Justice] works for me and when they're conducting an investigation, I've got to make sure that I don't look like I'm putting my thumb on the scale one way or the other,” Obama said.

“So it’s hard for me to address a specific case beyond making sure that it’s conducted in a way that is transparent, where there’s accountability, where people can trust the process, hoping that as a consequence of a fair and just process, you end up with a fair and just outcome,” Obama said. 

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: White House hasn’t ruled out sending Obama to Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:42:12 pm »
Do they have a golf course in Ferguson?

Oh, I get it.  Gotta get the homies back on the government plantation...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:42:54 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
The White House has weighed sending President Obama to Ferguson

This headline stands out.....I equate the WH and Obama as one in the same...this headline suggests two separate entities....Obama and the WH.......so who is the WH?
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »
What could Obama even hope to achieve by making a trip there? His presence there will do nothing.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »
This headline stands out.....I equate the WH and Obama as one in the same...this headline suggests two separate entities....Obama and the WH.......so who is the WH?

aka ValJar...

I'm sure they didn't intend for the truth to stick out like that.  Nice catch, myst...   :patriot:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:49:43 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »

Asking the important questions.  ^-^
-Socrates

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats: Obama shouldn't visit
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:51:46 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/215461-cleaver-obama-doesnt-need-to-visit-ferguson

August 19, 2014, 08:09 am
Democrats: Obama shouldn't visit

By Mario Trujillo

Two Missouri Democrats on Tuesday said it would be a bad idea for President Obama to visit Ferguson, Mo.

They said the last thing authorities in the St. Louis suburb need right now is to deal with the security surrounding a presidential visit, something they also said would also place unrealistic expectations on Obama.

“So, I don't think the president needs to come to Ferguson,” Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” program.

“It adds another distortion. We don't need that now. And we don't need any more people coming into Ferguson to help the poor people out during this time of trouble,” Cleaver said. “What we need is a sense of calm and anything other than that is going to be dangerous.”

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) went further calling a presidential visit a “bad idea” because of the increased burden it would put on police.

“A presidential visit requires a lot of security from local officials,” she said on the same show. “Right now our local officials have their hands full. It is a very bad time for a presidential visit for the practical reasons — many of these people are not getting enough sleep. We are really taxing all of the jurisdictions on the police forces.”

Attorney General Eric Holder will visit the St. Louis suburb on Wednesday. Ferguson has been roiled by protests and clashes after a white police officer shot and killed an unarmed black teenager 10 days ago.

Holder is leading a federal investigation and has ordered an autopsy of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

At least 31 people were arrested in Ferguson on Monday night. Some came from as far away as California and New York, according to media reports.

Obama is heading back to Martha's Vineyard, Mass., on Tuesday and has no plans to visit the city.

Cleaver was the mayor of Kansas City during the Rodney King riots in 1991. He said there is no book written on what to do or what to say. But he said urging Obama to visit the city would create unrealistic expectations.

“I think we put enormous pressure on anyone if we create the atmosphere that, if this person comes to town, everything is going to be OK,” he said.

Obama on Monday again plead for calm in Ferguson, noting that the majority of people are peacefully protesting.

“While I understand the passions and the anger that arise over the death of Michael Brown, giving into that anger by looting or carrying guns, and even attacking the police, only serves to raise tensions and stir chaos. It undermines, rather than advancing justice,” Obama said Monday.

Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Democrats: Obama shouldn't visit
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »

“It adds another distortion. We don't need that now. And we don't need any more people coming into Ferguson to help the poor people out during this time of trouble,” Cleaver said. “What we need is a sense of calm and anything other than that is going to be dangerous.”

Yeah, it adds 'distortion' doesn't it Congressman.

Jes representin da distrik, I know...

Offline Carling

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 05:31:24 pm »

Yeah, shouldn't the story be "Obama hasn't ruled out going to Ferguson?"
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:32:13 pm »
Asking the important questions.  ^-^

Posting the irrelevant comments.  ^-^
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Dexter

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:35:40 pm »
Posting the irrelevant comments.  ^-^

Oh, that stings. I truly care about what you think of the quality of my posts because I hold your opinions in the highest regard. Hopefully someday I will rival your constantly relevant, insightful and thought provoking postings.  ^-^
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:50:41 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates