Author Topic: Alternative propulsion concepts power debate  (Read 913 times)

Online kevindavis007

Alternative propulsion concepts power debate
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:30:02 am »

There are topics in the space field that inflame passionate debate like few others. Bring up SpaceX, for example, and expect to see a phalanx of fans of the space transportation company square off against a cadre of its critics. Discussion of NASA’s Space Launch System heavy-lift booster, for example, frequently ends up in arguments on whether the vehicle is an essential element of any deep space exploration plans, or a pork barrel project. Middle ground is hard to come by; it is, after all, in the crossfire.

Another topic that, perhaps more surprisingly, also generates polarized debate is work on alternative propulsion systems. These efforts, done on the fringes of the research community, seek to exploit aspects of physics that may seem counterintuitive or simply incomprehensive to the average person to permit radical advances in space transportation. When a new development in this area is announced, as was the case a few weeks ago, some people embrace it without reservation as a breakthrough that will open up the solar system, if not the galaxy, while others reject it as being clearly infeasible, if not in violation of the laws of physics. Reality, though, can be a little more complex.

http://interstellar-news.blogspot.com/2014/08/alternative-propulsion-concepts-power.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Alternative propulsion concepts power debate
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
People should wait until we actually understand physics completely before making claims about what is or isn't possible. There are things in the universe that completely defy our understanding of physics, meaning our understanding is flawed or incomplete.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:02:54 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:44 pm »
People should wait until we actually understand physics completely before making claims about what is or isn't possible. There are things in the universe that completely defy our understanding of physics, meaning our understanding is flawed or incomplete.

I thinking that both sides tends to jump to conclusions... Well I think it is mostly anti human in space crowd..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:04:46 pm »
Physicists haven't come up with anything logical or easily understandable in several decades. All they have come up with is an increasingly convoluted, nonsensical gibberish that only they can comprehend. The longer we wait, the less we'll be able to understand.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:30 pm »
Physicists haven't come up with anything logical or easily understandable in several decades. All they have come up with is an increasingly convoluted, nonsensical gibberish that only they can comprehend. The longer we wait, the less we'll be able to understand.

I am going to have to disagree with everything you just said. Physicists have discovered much and have come very far in the last few decades. You not being able to grasp and understand the concepts involved does not mean they are gibberish or nonsensical; it simply means that it takes a certain kind of mind to understand it. There are a lot of things we still don't understand, but every year we understand a little bit more. Conquering physics and truly understanding the universe will be an instrumental part of our progress as a species. The idea that our understanding of physics will diminish over time is truly nonsensical. Do you think they are just making this stuff up?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:25:56 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 01:50:09 am »

Have to disagree with you on that one.  Easily understandable - maybe so - but logical, gotta part ways there.