Author Topic: Gregory got $4M to quietly leave NBC  (Read 393 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gregory got $4M to quietly leave NBC
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:09:45 pm »
http://pagesix.com/2014/08/16/david-gregory-was-paid-4m-to-leave-nbc/?_ga=1.268364301.2000287648.1407846170

Gregory got $4M to quietly leave NBC

By Emily Smith and Stephanie Smith

August 16, 2014 | 7:42pm

Ousted “Meet the Press” anchor David Gregory was paid $4 million to leave NBC and signed a contract not to speak out against the network, sources told Page Six.

Gregory, 43, who moderated the show for six years, was unceremoniously dumped from the political program on Thursday after dismal ratings and months of speculation about his departure.

He has been replaced by NBC White House correspondent Chuck Todd.

A source said Gregory’s contract extended into next year, so NBC had to pay him for the rest of the term, plus an extra fee to ensure his silence.

In return, he was asked to sign a nondisparagement clause, which explains — despite the drama behind the scenes — his saccharine message on Twitter to announce his departure.

“I leave NBC as I came — humbled and grateful. I love journalism, and serving as moderator of MTP was the highest honor there is,” he tweeted, adding, “I have great respect for my colleagues at NBC News and wish them all well. To the viewers, I say thank you.”

David Gregory        ✔ @davidgregory
Follow

I leave NBC as I came - humbled and grateful. I love journalism and serving as moderator of MTP was the highest honor there is . (1 of 2)
3:02 PM - 14 Aug 2014

David Gregory        ✔ @davidgregory
Follow

(2 of 2) I have great respect for my colleagues at NBC News and wish them all well. To the viewers, I say thank you.
3:03 PM - 14 Aug 2014

But quietly, sources say, Gregory is “angry and humiliated” at the way he was treated by NBC suits who let him twist in the wind through months of painful speculation before finally pulling the plug. Page Six reported that Gregory confronted NBC brass last week after continuous ­rumors he would be replaced by Todd.

NBC has tapped Andrea Mitchell to host this week’s show, denying Gregory a chance to say farewell — or anything else — on air. Todd takes over on Sept. 7. NBC declined to comment.

Gregory’s future may be at CNN. Page Six has reported that the network was developing a pilot for him, while others speculate he could land on “Crossfire” with Newt Gingrich, which could use an authoritative moderator.

Meanwhile, Ann Curry, another NBC colleague who suffered an awkward departure, lent Gregory support via Twitter.

Quoting the Dalai Lama, she wrote:

Ann Curry        ✔ @AnnCurry
Follow

.@DavidGregory Hoping "in place of this turmoil come confidence,integrity+dignity, heroic qualities all human beings...aspire to."-HHDL
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Gregory got $4M to quietly leave NBC
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:19:24 am »
Didn't he recently ask a trough direct question at a press conference about 3-4 months ago?

Or get tough with Siusan Wriight on Meet the Press?

His virtual execution from the MSM serves as a warning to everybody else.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald