Author Topic: INTERVIEW: Why Pro Wrestler ‘MVP' Made the Trip to Ferguson  (Read 293 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
INTERVIEW: Why Pro Wrestler ‘MVP' Made the Trip to Ferguson
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:47 am »
Dave Zirin
The Nation
August 16, 2014

His name is Hassan Hamin Assad. But pro wrestling fans know him as Montel Vontavious Porter, otherwise known as MVP. In a sporting spectacle known for its profoundly backward representations of African-Americans, MVP has always chosen to showcase himself as a man of intelligence and confidence that—when playing the villain—could morph into grandiose cockiness. This past week, MVP—"acting as Hassan," as he said to me, made the decision to travel to Ferguson, Missouri, the site of the police killing of Michael Brown and subsequent clashes with a shockingly militarized police force. I was able to speak with MVP while he was in Ferguson about why he felt compelled to make the journey.

DZ: Why did you, MVP, decide to make this trip to Ferguson?

MVP: Because, I was sitting on the couch, watching the footage coming in.… And, I've been saying this over and over, I just got tired of shaking my fist at the TV. My biggest issue was watching the militarized St. Louis County Police come in with a heavy-handed approach, to peaceful protesters. Media blackout, arresting journalists, and I just felt like I had to speak up about our Constitution being trampled on and our constitutional rights being violated.
More

Wikipedia article on Montel Vontavious Porter