Author Topic: WNBA stars Brittney Griner, Glory Johnson announce they are engaged  (Read 724 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Austin Knoblauch
Los Angeles Times
August 16, 2014

WNBA standouts Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson have announced they are engaged to be married.

Griner proposed to Johnson on Thursday and posted a photo via Instagram on Friday showing her on one knee presenting a ring to Johnson.
More

Brittney Griner

Glory Johnson

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: WNBA stars Brittney Griner, Glory Johnson announce they are engaged
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:35:06 pm »
Congratulations to Glory Johnson and Juwanna Mann.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »
That makes me think of one of my childhood friends from way back.  From first grade on, we went to the same school, same sunday school, our dads were in the same fraternal organization - we had slumber parties together - we were close, but we lost touch after high school. 

She was a "tomboy" and played on the girl's basketball team in high school, and she was rough and tumble and could stand down any guy.  So were some of the other girls on the team!  They were different, and back then it never crossed my mind that some of them were lesbians - but I found out a few years ago while attending the funeral of my friend's father, that she is now married to a woman and they adopted a little girl together.  It all came together for me then, at first I was shocked, but then I could see that she had been "different" from me all along.  I do hope she is happy now because she was so intensely frustrated and angry in her youth. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
Alice - I admire you more and more, as time goes on.

One of my oldest living friends - we met courtesy of a shovel to the face (his, not mine) - came out last year. He finally found someone he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. They are not legally married, that being forbidden in Israel, but they had the full ceremony regardless, because we had a Rabbi and were going to use him. (He's the one that swung the shovel. We're an odd lot.).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:23:03 pm »
Alice - I admire you more and more, as time goes on.

One of my oldest living friends - we met courtesy of a shovel to the face (his, not mine) - came out last year. He finally found someone he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. They are not legally married, that being forbidden in Israel, but they had the full ceremony regardless, because we had a Rabbi and were going to use him. (He's the one that swung the shovel. We're an odd lot.).

:silly:   Heck, some of my very best friendships started out with us fighting!    :beer:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »
There are lesbians in the WNBA?  I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

That said, I'm still not sure that Griner isn't really a guy.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
   :silly:   Heck, some of my very best friendships started out with us fighting!    :beer:

I doubt "trying to kill each other" levels.  :laugh:

Still, we are friends, I trust him totally, and never, ever threaten him or hell on Earth will open. I did do one cruel thing. I signed off on them adopting. He hates kids, his partner loves them.  :beer:

Some times you get revenge when you can.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:30:46 pm »
That makes me think of one of my childhood friends from way back.  From first grade on, we went to the same school, same sunday school, our dads were in the same fraternal organization - we had slumber parties together - we were close, but we lost touch after high school. 

She was a "tomboy" and played on the girl's basketball team in high school, and she was rough and tumble and could stand down any guy.  So were some of the other girls on the team!  They were different, and back then it never crossed my mind that some of them were lesbians - but I found out a few years ago while attending the funeral of my friend's father, that she is now married to a woman and they adopted a little girl together.  It all came together for me then, at first I was shocked, but then I could see that she had been "different" from me all along.  I do hope she is happy now because she was so intensely frustrated and angry in her youth. 

Agreed