Author Topic: What the Haters Got Wrong About Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Comments on GMOs  (Read 776 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Marc Brazeau
Food and Farm Discussion Lab
August 13, 2014

Like anything relating to GMOs, Neil deGrasse Tyson’s recent off the cuff remarks on GMOs and his exhortation to ‘chill out’ was met with competing choruses of cheers and jeers. I watched the reaction unfurl on his Facebook page and on Chris Mooney’s posts in Mother Jones. These were interesting vantage points for related reasons. Chris Mooney writes about the politics of science and is particularly interested in how political loyalties tend to scramble our brains when it comes to picking and choosing which science we choose to accept (or even understand). Neil deGrasse Tyson is a great champion of the scientific method. So it was especially embarrassing and disconcerting to see their corresponding readers and fans parade through to lodge their disagreement with Tyson’s remarks based on a number of common and easily debunked misconceptions and fallacies.
More

Offline olde north church

As long as we can all agree CANOLA® oil is a foul-tasting abomination not fit for mammal or machine, I'll agree! :beer:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

As long as we can all agree CANOLA® oil is a foul-tasting abomination not fit for mammal or machine, I'll agree! :beer:

fair enough!  :beer: