Author Topic: Krauthammer: Obama Gave Justice Ginsburg 'Unseemly Nudge'  (Read 1200 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Krauthammer: Obama Gave Justice Ginsburg 'Unseemly Nudge'
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:01:32 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=588395

Newsmax
Krauthammer: Obama Gave Justice Ginsburg 'Unseemly Nudge'
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 09:17 PM

By: Greg Richter

President Barack Obama's comments speculating about openings on the Supreme Court were "unseemly," columnist Charles Krauthammer said Tuesday.

At a fundraiser Monday night, Obama told supporters of the need to keep the Senate in Democratic control as the November midterm elections approach.

"Not to mention the fact that we're going to have Supreme Court appointments," Obama added.

Appearing on Fox News Channel's "Special Report" on Tuesday, the conservative Krauthammer agreed the statement likely was intended to get the Democratic base out in a year when Democratic voters aren't excited.

"But it is mildly unseemly," he said.

Liberal activists have been urging Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is 81, to resign soon so Obama can appoint a younger successor in case Democrats lose the Senate.

The Senate must approve all presidential nominations, and if Republicans take control, as many expect, Obama will be forced to name more moderate justices if Ginsburg or liberal Justice Stephen Breyer, 75, dies or retires.

"Imagine that you are her," Krauthammer said of Ginsburg. "You have been now in the service of liberalism for half a century. You've given everything you've got. And now, in your later years, people want you to jump off a cliff."

He said he can understand activists calling on Ginsburg to resign, but not the president.

"Unless he's got a pipeline to Charon's boat or he's just sort of idly speculating, I think that is a fairly unseemly nudge from the president," Krauthammer said. "After half a century, I think a person deserves to retire on their own terms."

Substitute host Shannon Bream, who covers the Supreme Court, said all the justices have hired a full compliment of clerks, meaning they are staying at least until July 2015, well past the midterms.

Liberal panelist Kirsten Powers agreed that Obama's words were "unseemly," but added that if she were in Ginsberg's position she would consider resigning to keep the court's balance from moving to the right.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Krauthammer: Obama Gave Justice Ginsburg 'Unseemly Nudge'
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »
Given that Justice Ginsberg is also Jewish, I suspect she is reluctant to retire and give Obammy the opportunity to appoint the first Muzzie to the court...

:smokin:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »
Given that Justice Ginsberg is also Jewish, I suspect she is reluctant to retire and give Obammy the opportunity to appoint the first Muzzie to the court...

:smokin:
Either that, or Obama is squarely aiming for legacy here.

In the short term he has nothing to gain from replacing Ginsburg, one of the most liberal members of the court (if not THE most liberal) with someone else. But if Ginsburg dies or retires during a (increasingly unlikely) Republican presidency, that would shift the court.

That would also explain his continuing fundraising despite the term limits.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:19:48 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:49:49 am »
Ginsberg is Liberal. But old school style - she has about as much in common with Obama as you do.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:32:56 am »
I've posted about this a few times before, but I sense that deep down, Justice Ginsburg hates Obama's guts, and will be carried from the Court feet first before she'll permit him to appoint her successor...

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:33 am »
My first thought was Justice Scalia NOT making a comment at obama's comment.  Only from what I've read, Scalia and Ginsburg are friendly despite their political beliefs.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Politics4us

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »
Bush appointed Roberts, and he wound up siding with Obama on a few matters. It may not matter if a Republican becomes president and appoints a judge.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »
Bush appointed Roberts, and he wound up siding with Obama on a few matters. It may not matter if a Republican becomes president and appoints a judge.
And he came far too close to appointing Harriet Miers. Fortunately many of us dodged a bullet and we got Alito instead, a fine jurist.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024