Author Topic: Lawmaker urges mental health reforms after Robin Williams's death  (Read 3412 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/214962-gop-lawmaker-pushes-mental-health-reform-after-robin-williamss-death

Lawmaker urges mental health reforms after Robin Williams's death

By Elise Viebeck - 08/12/14 03:19 PM EDT

Rep. Tim Murphy on Tuesday called for action on mental health reform in response to the death of actor Robin Williams.

"Perhaps Robin Williams' greatest gift to us, if we choose to accept it, is a focused determination to help those with brain illness and finally take real action to stop the loss of one more precious life," Murphy (R-Pa.) said in a statement.

Law enforcement officials on Tuesday said the late actor committed suicide, though the final determination will be made by a coroner in Marin County, Calif., where the actor lived.

The actor’s death has put a spotlight on mental illness and prompted conversations about rising rates of suicide around the country.

Murphy wrote legislation at the behest of GOP leaders to overhaul the mental health system in response to the 2012 elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

The measure has proven too controversial to move in one piece, though Murphy is keeping up the pressure.

House Republican leaders indicated in June that they would move some provisions individually, but Murphy argues that leaving out key components makes the reform effort unserious.

His bill would loosen standards for involuntary mental health treatment, increase psychiatric beds and gut the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which critics say does not help people who are seriously ill.

A range of powerful outside groups are uneasy about these reforms, leading to the wider stalemate.

A spokeswoman for the House Energy and Commerce Committee expressed hope that some portions of the bill would move in September.

Murphy, a psychologist, said mental health problems have become a “national crisis that demands our response.”

“There are nearly 40,000 suicides each year. Over the last decade the annual suicide rate among Mr. Williams' age group has increased nearly 30 percent. In what other discipline of medicine would we ignore such staggering statistics?”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Lawmaker urges mental health reforms after Robin Williams's death
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
My mother's congresscritter, unfortunately. Good grief, Mr. Murphy - this is not a federal matter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:27:17 pm »
Robin Williams repeated this statement, made earlier by somebody else,

"suicide is a permanent solution, for a temporary problem."

For the depressed, often they go into something like remission for awhile, everything seems great. They might take themselves off their meds, to avoid the side effects which can be bad.

Then the depression comes roaring back with a vengeance, they may isolate, and boom--suicide.

I have friends with depression, and we will be talking about this for certain.

The technical name is "dual diagnosis" which means substance abuse/addiction and mental illness.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »
I was wondering how long it would be before the government used this. I'm just surprised the first had an R behind his name.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:59:16 am »
I am 1000% in favor.

Robin Williams was never shy about taking about his demons. It's a fitting tribute to him.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:10:10 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:04 am »
I support this because of two personal tragedies in regards to depression. I had two members of my family commit suicide because they were suffering from extreme depression. One hanged himself in his cellar and his mother found him and the other overdosed on black tar heroin four months ago. The one that hanged himself I was going to get him that morning to have him committed to one of our local institutions.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:11:04 am by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:30:44 am »
I support this because of two personal tragedies in regards to depression. I had two members of my family commit suicide because they were suffering from extreme depression. One hanged himself in his cellar and his mother found him and the other overdosed on black tar heroin four months ago. The one that hanged himself I was going to get him that morning to have him committed to one of our local institutions.

Sorry about your family tragedies.  I agree that access to mental health treatment should be easier for people to get, and the taboo about seeking help needs to go away.  Mental illness is real - and it's not the "fault" of those who suffer from it. 

I'm not comfortable with the government stepping in this way though.  Things like that should be initiated and administered by health care professionals and not bureaucrats. 

I had to convince my father to agree to commit himself into a mental facility and the whole experience was devastating to him and to myself.  There needs to be much more done to learn how to treat it.  In my father's case, I think they went overboard on medication - so I think people should look at other alternatives if medications are not helping.  (I can certainly understand WHY institutions rely heavily on medication - but I don't think they are a long-term solution.)   
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
Sorry about your family tragedies.  I agree that access to mental health treatment should be easier for people to get, and the taboo about seeking help needs to go away.  Mental illness is real - and it's not the "fault" of those who suffer from it. 

I'm not comfortable with the government stepping in this way though.  Things like that should be initiated and administered by health care professionals and not bureaucrats. 

I had to convince my father to agree to commit himself into a mental facility and the whole experience was devastating to him and to myself.  There needs to be much more done to learn how to treat it.  In my father's case, I think they went overboard on medication - so I think people should look at other alternatives if medications are not helping.  (I can certainly understand WHY institutions rely heavily on medication - but I don't think they are a long-term solution.)

I think that let the state and local government provide the money but health care professionals(the ones who have certified degrees in psychiatry and psychology) must be running the show, I do agree that government should not be making those decisions but they can deliver the money. But there are special cases where you get people that are too delusional that they are harmful to themselves and to others.There are many homeless people who are wandering the streets tonight who are extremely mentally ill. Maybe a little government can get them the help they need. I do agree that there a tendency of over medicating people but every thing is trial and error when it comes to medication. In other words, finding the correct combination of drugs that are therapeutic so this person can be a productive member of society.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:07:05 am by Trigger »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:05:35 pm »

"Perhaps Robin Williams' greatest gift to us, if we choose to accept it, is a focused determination to help those with brain illness and finally take real action to stop the loss of one more precious life," Murphy (R-Pa.) said in a statement.

Might want to start by learning to differentiate between a "brain illness" and "mental illness".  They are not interchangeable.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »

Won't be long before they'll commit all of you for the 'brain illness' of opposing the government...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 09:00:45 am »
Won't be long before they'll commit all of you for the 'brain illness' of opposing the government...

Its better having these people wandering the streets of America. There are veterans with PTSD from Iraq and Afganistan are killing themselves because they are not getting the proper treatment. Do you think that they should  end the nightmare they live with day after day with therapeutic counseling and drug treatment? Vets are have a high possibility with depression that leads to suicide.Most of jails and prisons are filled with people with mental illness. Those people would be housed in homes for the criminally insane where they would get treatment while they serve out their sentences. These homes can be managed by the state where their will be under the watchful eye of psychological bar associations made up of certified health care professionals. I only know of two in the state of California. the first is Patton is a major forensic mental hospital operated by the California Department of State Hospitals and the second is Atascadero.

http://www.stripes.com/report-suicide-rate-spikes-among-young-veterans-1.261283
http://www.jaapl.org/content/35/4/406.full
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:49:28 am by Trigger »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 12:01:36 pm »
While I in no way disagree with you - the state of mental health care is despicable - I'd be cautious about making it government run.

Maybe run it on the AA model? People need help, they can get help. No stigma involved. Doctors who actually give a crap about you. A massive support network there for you, with people who know where you are coming from because they've been through it themselves.

SPQR

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:43 am »
While I in no way disagree with you - the state of mental health care is despicable - I'd be cautious about making it government run.

Maybe run it on the AA model? People need help, they can get help. No stigma involved. Doctors who actually give a crap about you. A massive support network there for you, with people who know where you are coming from because they've been through it themselves.

Where the people who cannot afford personal help the get finances to pay for their help? That is why the government provide the money while certified health care professionals set up the system. The government will not have any say in designing the system. When the mentally ill enter the penal system who pays for them the taxpayer. We pay for their housing,food medicine and health care. It would be cheaper to treat people when they are not in the penal system.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:43:02 am by Trigger »

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 11:22:22 am »
Ahh yes.  Just another hook to get Obamacare permanently buried in our collective hide.

Why is it so many people so often forget that old, but oh so true, canard:  let the Devil pay the piper, and the Devil calls the tune.

Does anyone remember the Soviet's use of psychiatry, and government control thereof?  Remember that political dissent was labeled a psychiatric disorder and grounds for involuntary, usually life-long, confinement?

But that would never happen here, would it?  I dunno, but if the politicians in control are willing to use the IRS against their political opponents, why would anyone other than an effing moron - or a lib/prog - think that wouldn't happen with the federal department of mental health is beyond me.

SPQR

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 06:25:34 am »
Ahh yes.  Just another hook to get Obamacare permanently buried in our collective hide.

Why is it so many people so often forget that old, but oh so true, canard:  let the Devil pay the piper, and the Devil calls the tune.

Does anyone remember the Soviet's use of psychiatry, and government control thereof?  Remember that political dissent was labeled a psychiatric disorder and grounds for involuntary, usually life-long, confinement?

But that would never happen here, would it?  I dunno, but if the politicians in control are willing to use the IRS against their political opponents, why would anyone other than an effing moron - or a lib/prog - think that wouldn't happen with the federal department of mental health is beyond me.

From your comments, I guess better for  to have delusional homeless and psychotic homeless people wandering the streets of America looking in trash cans for food. While out in the streets homeless women run the risk of being raped.I have heard the stories over and over again.I guess that its all right with you for our war Veterans returning from Iraq and Afganistan sutffering from PTSD. They relive their horror over and horror over again suffering severe shellshock.. Family members you cant deal with a mentally ill person. Perhaps there is a mentally ill person in your family. I guess that its all right with you that an estimated 54 million Americans suffer from some form of mental disorder in a given year .I guess that its all right with you mentally ill people are clogging our jails and costing more money to hold them there. zIts cheaper to treat them in group homes/institutions than in jail. I guess its all right with you that our veterans have the highest rate of suicide and depression. Its difficult for them to get the help because the cannot get the help from the Veterans Administration because its broken down. I guess that Its better to hate Obama and keep these people in a perpetual state of delusion rather spend a few bucks. If we spent a few bucks we can get them to be productive members of society. Why don't you show little compassion that you are lacking. These are human beings but you rather play politics.

http://www.stripes.com/report-suicide-rate-spikes-among-young-veterans-1.261283
http://www.jaapl.org/content/35/4/406.full
http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequences/homeless-mentally-ill.html
http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/recognizing-warning-signs
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:11:18 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 07:35:30 am »

My cousins committed suicide because they could not afford any treatment. If the money was there maybe my cousins would still be alive today.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:06:19 am by Trigger »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:37 am »
My cousins committed suicide because they could not afford any treatment. If the money was there maybe my cousins would still be alive today.

And maybe they wouldn't. The chance would have been nice, but I consider suicide like alcoholism. You get the urge. Maybe they'd be alive. Maybe they'd have done it anyway. We can't know. All we know is that loss hurts like the deepest pits of hell.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 09:34:21 pm »

With all due respect, how do you know?  Robin Williams had all the money in the world for treatment, and still he committed suicide.  One can point to any number of well-heeled individuals who committed suicide despite their wealth.

That being said, I'm not averse to the concept of a good method of providing a better safety-net; what I am virtually certain of, however, is that the federal government doesn't provide safety-nets, it provides swamps and sink-holes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:35:23 pm by Oceander »

SPQR

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 04:54:39 am »
With all due respect, how do you know?

I have met people who have severe mental problems through the Relief Society of the LDS church. Mormons are to help people in need and provide help.We are in constantly involved in the homeless community so we see these things.  In 1989,Ensign Magazine(which is the official magazine of the LDS church) the Relief Society wrote an article titled "Mental Illness: In Search of Understanding and Hope". It gives information on all the mood disorders and how to deal with . The reason Robin Williams committed suicide because there was no one to help him in his time of need. He was possibly self medicating himself with alcohol or drugs.Also there is a stigma attached for people are mentally ill or depressed. They languish in the shadows then it gets to a point its easier to kill oneself. That is why he kept it quiet for so long. Maybe you should check out these websites  about people who have depression,mentally ill and suicide:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20521915_4,00.html
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20521915_7,00.html
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20521915_9,00.html

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/02/mental-illness-in-search-of-understanding-and-hope?lang=eng

*UPDATED*
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:45:55 am by Trigger »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 12:17:32 pm »
The reason Robin Williams committed suicide because there was no one to help him in his time of need. He was possibly self medicating himself with alcohol or drugs.
Speculative nonsense.

SPQR

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 03:14:49 am »
Speculative nonsense.

According to the UK Mail Online Robin Williams checked himself into a rehab clinic. I have linked the story for you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722538/Robin-Williams-checked-Minnesota-rehab-center-focus-continued-commitment-sobriety-tragic-death.html

Online mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »
Then it appears he was well aware of the availability of help "in his time of need," but since none of us can read the mind of a dead man, it's silly to claim to know what he was thinking or feeling when he decided to hang himself.

SPQR

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:41 am »
Then it appears he was well aware of the availability of help "in his time of need," but since none of us can read the mind of a dead man, it's silly to claim to know what he was thinking or feeling when he decided to hang himself.

Himself not his family. Usually people who have depression keep it to themselves. Both of my aunts never knew that their sons had depresson until it was too late.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:30:15 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 01:47:05 am »
Himself not his family. Usually people who have depression keep it to themselves. Both of my aunts never knew that their sons had depresson until it was too late.

There is a stigmatism toward people who have depression. That is why many of them who do not turn to their families for help

http://www.mentalhealth.wa.gov.au/mental_illness_and_health/mh_stigma.aspx