Author Topic: Bond, Bourne and the CIA - the legacy of Ian Fleming  (Read 536 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Bond, Bourne and the CIA - the legacy of Ian Fleming
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »
Ian Fleming died 50 years ago today.

Chas Early
BT
August 11, 2014

Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, died 50 years ago this week. Here are eight reasons to raise a glass of vodka martini - shaken, not stirred - to the great man.

He's best remembered as the creator of James Bond, but before he became a successful author, Ian Fleming was a man of many parts. Something of a playboy in his younger years, he was a traveller and a linguist before he worked as a journalist and a stockbroker in the 1930s.

At the outbreak of war, Ian Lancaster Fleming was commissioned as a Lieutenant Commander in the Naval Intelligence Division, and worked at the Admiralty directly under the Director of Naval Intelligence Admiral John Godfrey.
More

Wikipedia

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Bond, Bourne and the CIA - the legacy of Ian Fleming
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 04:40:05 pm »
My dad always had a Ian Fleming paperback next to his ashtray.

Once I became familiar with the Bond 007 genre on the big screen, I started to read him.

IMO, he was a 'blue-collar' espionage writer...compared say, to Tom Clancy...who IMO, spent too much time on the technical specs of the weaponry, for example.

Ian Fleming novels are written for Everyman.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Bond, Bourne and the CIA - the legacy of Ian Fleming
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:08 am »
Fleming's style is pretty unique.

Fast paced, descriptive - his attention to detail in settings is really notable - but almost conversational. It's the sort of thing you hear if you get a few professionals together in a pub over a pint or two.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink