Author Topic: Russia: Apparent U.S. sub driven from Barents Sea  (Read 749 times)

rangerrebew

Russia: Apparent U.S. sub driven from Barents Sea
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »

The Associated Press
Aug. 9, 2014 - 06:00AM | militarytimes.com

MOSCOW — Russian state news agencies say the country's navy claims to have driven away a submarine believed to be American that entered Russia's northern waters.

The reports Saturday cited an unnamed representative of the navy's general staff as saying the incident occurred Thursday in the Barents Sea. The Barents Sea lies off northwest Russia and the Russian navy's Northern Fleet is based on its shores.

The reports said the fleet sent several vessels and an anti-submarine Il-38 aircraft to drive the submarine away.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140809/NEWS08/308090047/Russia-Apparent-U-S-sub-driven-from-Barents-Sea
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:35:44 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Russia: Apparent U.S. sub driven from Barents Sea
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45:02 pm »
...as far as we know....

:smokin:

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:59:47 pm »
...as far as we know....

:smokin:

My sister-in-law's brother flew P-3s and said you won't find one of our subs if it doesn't want you to.  Maybe it was Chinese or Iranian and they just claim it was American.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:31:53 pm »
My sister-in-law's brother flew P-3s and said you won't find one of our subs if it doesn't want you to.  Maybe it was Chinese or Iranian and they just claim it was American.

Coulda' been British, Swedish or Norwegian too.  No way they could positively ID an American sub, and of course the US will neither confirm or deny.

I highly doubt they chased one of our subs anywhere. This is the Russians making claims nobody will ever refute, nor will they ever prove.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:32:24 pm by Chieftain »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:01:17 am »
Coulda' been British, Swedish or Norwegian too.  No way they could positively ID an American sub, and of course the US will neither confirm or deny.

I highly doubt they chased one of our subs anywhere. This is the Russians making claims nobody will ever refute, nor will they ever prove.

Could be Canadian, too. Canada, Russia and Denmark are currently in a fair old fight about ownership of the North Pole.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:29 am »
Could be Canadian, too. Canada, Russia and Denmark are currently in a fair old fight about ownership of the North Pole.

I thought Santa had fee simple to it?!?  :silly: