Author Topic: Federal Agents Storm Couple’s Property, Seize $60,000 Car for Violating Emissions Standards  (Read 386 times)

rangerrebew

Federal Agents Storm Couple’s Property, Seize $60,000 Car for Violating Emissions Standards

Natalie Johnson / August 01, 2014

Homeland Security agents raided a North Carolina couple’s property and seized their $60,000 Land Rover Defender, claiming it violated EPA emissions standards. Jennifer Brinkley said the agents didn’t give her a chance to defend her rights to keep the car before hauling it away. She and her husband have 35 days to appeal the alleged violation, but the government won’t reveal the car’s location.

http://dailysignal.com/print/?post_id=152729
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:09:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
According to a lot of Land Rover forums I've read as well as sites like Car Throttle, there have been a lot of Defenders seized in the past few months. Pretty much anyone with a Defender, even the 25 year old plus ones that should be legal due to their age, are at risk.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I thought the Department of Homeland Security was created to protect Americans against terrorist threats.

Now they're seizing privately-owned cars from peaceful law-abiding citizens because the government says they emit too much exhaust?

Think you're still free?

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline olde north church

I thought the Department of Homeland Security was created to protect Americans against terrorist threats.

Now they're seizing privately-owned cars from peaceful law-abiding citizens because the government says they emit too much exhaust?

Think you're still free?

Perhaps a few of these owners.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

rangerrebew

Think you're still free?

Is the EPA running around testing exhaust pipes on cars or do they just guess?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
A great example of how a government program (department, etc.) takes on a permanent life of its own, expanding their mission way beyond anything reasonably related at the onset.

Both political parties have enabled the DHS to grab far more power and scope, than just keeping the homeland safe against attack.

If they really lack sufficient budget money to seal the border, maybe they should stop wasting their budget money on follies such as gray market vehicles.

There are probably tens of thousands of budget line items, where money is wasted and priorities are wrong.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This is only the beginning.

If the government can seize a car because it's emitting too much in the way of pollutants, in time I expect to see the same government begin seizing homes, based on the same rationale.

In that case it will be a fireplace or furnace emitting too much soot or carbon dioxide.

After all, we now have the EPA asserting that it has regulatory rights over "the waters of the United States" -- which in their view means just about any water anywhere.

How much longer until we see a similar regulatory push to control the "airways of the United States", which will mean any air, anywhere -- even the air directly over your real estate.

I'll take my tinfoil hat off now...