Check Out This New, Incredibly Stupid And Deadly Online Dare That’s Sweeping America
By Steve Straub On August 10, 2014
Teenagers doing stupid things is nothing new, but this takes the stupidity to a whole new level…
US health officials have warned of the dangers posed by the latest deadly dare sweeping the internet: The Fire Challenge.
Those taking part in the challenge douse themselves in flammable liquids and set fire to themselves, then extinguish the flames as quickly as they can, uploading the videos onto sites including YouTube and Facebook.
Santa Clara county health officials in California have warned of the dangers posed by the game, and say that several taking part in it have suffered severe burns as a result.
“A number of kids have suffered second- and third-degree burns across the country,” said Joy Alexiou, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center spokeswoman. “There are long-term consequences. Weeks if not months of rehab, lifelong scarring and disfigurement and movement loss, because the tissue will be tight when it heals.”
A 15-year-old boy in Buffalo, Texas, died of his injuries after reportedly taking part in the challenge, and another 15-year-old in Kentucky was badly burned after seeing the stunt on Facebook and attempting to copy it, said Alexiou.
On 2 August, California teen Fernando Valencia, 16, suffered third-degree burns to his neck and stomach after pouring nail polish remover over himself and lighting it as part of the dare.
“Being burned alive was one of the worst things you can imagine,”he told news station KABC. “It’s my fault. I can’t say nothing else besides it was a dumb idea.”
continued with videos at link