Author Topic: Ron Paul: Don’t Palestinians Have a Right to Defend Themselves Too?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The naivety is strong with this one.

....never once have I heard on TV — it might have been said, but I haven’t heard it yet — that the Palestinians have a right to defend themselves because they must feel oppressed. You know, they can’t go anywhere. They can’t go back and forth to Israel. They can’t go into Egypt. So they feel pretty well trapped too, but nobody says that this entrapment they have gives them a right to defend themselves from being imprisoned in this particular area....

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2014/august/05/ron-paul-don%E2%80%99t-palestinians-have-a-right-to-defend-themselves-too.aspx

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Ron Paul: Don’t Palestinians Have a Right to Defend Themselves Too?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:37:14 pm »
In Gaza, they took all of the relief supplies and infrastructural tools that the world (including Israel) gave them, and instead of building roads, hospitals, schools, markets or power generation facilities, they set about constructing miles of concrete tunnels to infiltrate Israel and kill its citizens, while using existing structures as storage facilities for guns, bombs and rockets to use against their neighbor.

It takes something in excess of simple ignorance or ideological blindness not see the truth here.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:42:24 pm »
"You know, they can’t go anywhere. They can’t go back and forth to Israel. They can’t go into Egypt. So they feel pretty well trapped too, but nobody says that this entrapment they have gives them a right to defend themselves from being imprisoned in this particular area...."

No matter how you feel about Ron Paul, this is an incredibly STUPID thing to say. They can't go into Israel, BECAUSE THEY KILL PEOPLE, IDIOT. They blow themselves up, on buses, restaurants, and shopping malls.

Are you stupid? Are you mental? Are you saying you want Israel to allow people in the country who have a written charter that states clearly that their ultimate goal in life is to die killing Jews? What a moronic idea. Israel cannot open the ports for them, because then all they do is bring in tanker after tanker of rockets, missiles, foreign terrorists, and weapons.

They can't go into Egypt for the same reason. All they do is cause trouble and try to overthrow the government.

Furthermore, to claim that doing a suprise launch of thousands of rockets deliberately into civilian areas is 'defending yourself' is beyond stupid. No country on Earth or in history would tolerate this under any circumstances. Is Paul saying this is legitimate behavior, under any circumstances? So I guess suicide bombs are also a legitimate form of 'defense' according to Paul.

In my mind, Ron Paul has just proven himself to be the crazy old fool so many people say he is.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »
Mr. Paul is not winning many gold stars for his conception of foreign affairs.

Stripped of the current context and as a matter of pure theory, yes, the palestinians have the right to defend themselves.  The problem is that they and the terrorists they harbor were, and are, the aggressors.  They have no more right to resist occupation by Israel for the purposes of destroying the terrorists' facilities than the Germans had to resist the Allies as they moved to destroy the Nazis.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »
On this issue, Ron Paul is wrong.  On economic and other issues, Paul is spot-on, but he is tenaciously and stubbornly wrong on this - and I suspect he knows he is wrong, but he has this libertarian boundary he will not cross - and it has been to the detriment of his presidential aspirations. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 04:34:43 pm »
De-fense
Noun
1.   Resistance against attack; protection

I don't think launching thousands of Qassam rockets at  peaceful Israeli Kibbutz's with innocent men women and children with the intention of killing as many Israelis as possible falls under the description of "defense".  Neither does tunneling under these small villages with the intention of murdering people in their sleep, slaughtering a classroom full of students, or dragging hostages away qualify as defense either.

The only ones I see "defending" themselves are the Israelis.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:36:59 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »
I know there are a number of libertarian leaning people here that would be overjoyed if Rand Paul would run in 2016. I can respect that.   But don't count me as one of them. If Rand Paul runs or even wins, media attention would flock to Ron Paul's  every word, hoping for an insane comment to go to press with. It would be an embarrassment and Rand would be forever answering questions from the media, "your dad said this, what do you say?"
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:41 pm »
On this issue, Ron Paul is wrong.  On economic and other issues, Paul is spot-on, but he is tenaciously and stubbornly wrong on this - and I suspect he knows he is wrong, but he has this libertarian boundary he will not cross - and it has been to the detriment of his presidential aspirations.

YOU, dear lady, are right as rain on all counts!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:26:30 pm »
Palestinians do have the right to defend themselves and they should be exercising it by extracting themselves from the choke hold Hammas and other Muslim extremists have on them.  In truth, Israel would be the least of their problems if the Palestinians pursued a peaceful, civilized society.  Instead, the people have the leadership they elected and the outcome they deserve.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 07:00:59 pm »
"You know, they can’t go anywhere. They can’t go back and forth to Israel. They can’t go into Egypt. So they feel pretty well trapped too, but nobody says that this entrapment they have gives them a right to defend themselves from being imprisoned in this particular area...."

No matter how you feel about Ron Paul, this is an incredibly STUPID thing to say. They can't go into Israel, BECAUSE THEY KILL PEOPLE, IDIOT. They blow themselves up, on buses, restaurants, and shopping malls.

Are you stupid? Are you mental? Are you saying you want Israel to allow people in the country who have a written charter that states clearly that their ultimate goal in life is to die killing Jews? What a moronic idea. Israel cannot open the ports for them, because then all they do is bring in tanker after tanker of rockets, missiles, foreign terrorists, and weapons.

They can't go into Egypt for the same reason. All they do is cause trouble and try to overthrow the government.

Furthermore, to claim that doing a suprise launch of thousands of rockets deliberately into civilian areas is 'defending yourself' is beyond stupid. No country on Earth or in history would tolerate this under any circumstances. Is Paul saying this is legitimate behavior, under any circumstances? So I guess suicide bombs are also a legitimate form of 'defense' according to Paul.

In my mind, Ron Paul has just proven himself to be the crazy old fool so many people say he is.

I agree with everything you've said.

And let's hope that Rand inherited his mother's sense of right and wrong and not his father's.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:45 pm »
Ron Paul in this statement reinforces why I am not a Libertarian.

If you go too far to the "right" you join hands with the left, and that's a very dangerous, and in this case, stupid place to be.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »
Isn't there another "ICE AGE" movie available for Mr. Paul to chase acorns in?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 08:03:32 pm »
Ron Paul in this statement reinforces why I am not a Libertarian.

I very much agree. I am very libertarian in most things but on issues of national defense and looking at the reality of the world, they are way off. The big L Libertarian party is just nuts. Unfortunately I think Republicans have become so self-defeating, if I have to label my political affiliation now it would be 'me'.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
I agree with everything you've said.

And let's hope that Rand inherited his mother's sense of right and wrong and not his father's.

I was hoping that but he seems to have inherited his father's sense on the border and has gone establishment on many things. I still think he could do well but he has been slipping lately.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »
Palestinians do have the right to defend themselves and they should be exercising it by extracting themselves from the choke hold Hammas and other Muslim extremists have on them.  In truth, Israel would be the least of their problems if the Palestinians pursued a peaceful, civilized society.  Instead, the people have the leadership they elected and the outcome they deserve.

That really is the key isn't it. Muslims currently and have always lived in Israel along side Jews and Christians freely, they serve in Parliament, own businesses, and are decent neighbors. They actually enjoy more freedom to be Muslim in Israel than they do in most Islamic countries. The Palestinians are the ones who separate themselves and are really just fighting a proxy war for Syria and Iran.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 08:15:11 pm »
The biggest of several elephants in this room is the stubborn fact that the rockets Hamas fires into Israel are being smuggled into Gaza via tunnels from Egypt.  Iran supplies them and Egypt and the world turn a blind eye to the smugglers who bring them in by the thousand.

As to Ron Paul, his biggest problem is he lacks the power of rational conversation, but not the power of speech....

:smokin:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:15:39 pm by Chieftain »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 01:48:24 am »
If they didn't fire rockets at Israel, they'd have nothing to defend themselves against.

It's not rocket science.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 01:25:37 pm »
I was hoping that but he seems to have inherited his father's sense on the border and has gone establishment on many things. I still think he could do well but he has been slipping lately.

Although dropped from great height, the acorn does not fall far from the oak.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:26:41 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
this alone disqualifies him from any presidential consideration