Author Topic: Obama Makes Surprise Appearance to Kick Off Gay Games  (Read 563 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Makes Surprise Appearance to Kick Off Gay Games
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:01:41 am »
- The PJ Tatler - http://pjmedia.com/tatler -

Obama Makes Surprise Appearance to Kick Off Gay Games

Posted By Paula Bolyard On August 9, 2014 @ 9:31 pm In Culture,Sports | 6 Comments

President Obama made a surprise video appearance at the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Gay Games in Cleveland on Saturday. Joining Greg Louganis, Lance Bass, the Pointer Sisters, and Broadway’s Andrea McArdle and Alex Newell in celebrating the event, Obama said, “Since 1982 the Gay Games have given lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender athletes and supporters around the world a chance to come together to compete, celebrate, and inspire others.”

President Obama, who is vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard, noted how the country has changed since the games began in 1982. “We’ve also seen America change in that time, even since 2006, when the games were last held in the United States in my hometown of Chicago. We’ve come a long way in our commitment to the equal rights of LGBT people here and around the world,” he said.

As international crises continue to dominate the world stage, the president took a break from his vacation and busy golf schedule to record the message for the Gay Games, boasting about his accomplishments on behalf of the LGBT movement since becoming president.  ”I’m proud of my administration’s record and of the citizens who’ve helped push for justice.”

The president had a special message for those living in countries that persecute LGBT individuals, explaining what he believes to be the “very idea” of America. “You should know that the United States stands with you and for your human rights, just as our athletes stand with you on the field at these games,” he said. “After all, the very idea of America is that no matter who you are, what you look like, where you come from, or who you love, you can make it if you try. That’s who we are. That’s who we should continually strive to be. ”

Obama wished the athletes well. “We’re also a country that loves competition, so let’s get these games underway. Good luck to the athletes, have a great time in Cleveland and Akron, and go, Team U.S. A.!”

“The Gay Games is thrilled to have President Obama take his time to show his commitment to the Games’ mission of inclusion, participation and personal best,” said Hollie Ksiezyk, co-chair of the 2014 Gay Games.

Fellow co-chair Steve Sokany agreed. ”It was a special moment that no one in the arena will forget and a great way to kick off the exciting Games week,” he said.

Journalist Connie Schultz, wife of Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown, tweeted about how deeply moved she and Sen. Brown were by the opening ceremony:

Approximately 8,000 athletes are expected to participate in 36 events over the next week.

Watch the video of Obama on the next page.

Article printed from The PJ Tatler: http://pjmedia.com/tatler

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/08/09/obama-makes-surprise-appearance-to-kick-off-gay-games/

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama Makes Surprise Appearance to Kick Off Gay Games
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:46:05 pm »
Priorities ...   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »
Compare and contrast:
Prince Harry launching paralympic games for wounded vets
By Kate Briquelet NY Post
August 10, 2014 | 1:41am

Prince Harry recounted the horrors of war as he explained why he was launching a paralympic games for wounded service people.

“Loss of life is as tragic and devastating as it gets, but to see young lads . . . wrapped in plastic and missing limbs, with hundreds of tubes coming out of them, was something I never prepared myself for,” Harry wrote in the Sunday Times of London. “For me, this is where it all started.”

The prince is plugging the Invictus Games, a London tournament next month that will draw 400 injured servicemen and women from 14 countries.

The games, founded by Harry, who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan, will feature such events as wheelchair rugby, sitting volleyball and indoor rowing.

The Foo Fighters are slated to perform in a closing concert.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:56:41 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »
Just another of thousands of tax payer funded campaign stunts by Obama. How much did we pay to fly him from his 8000 sq. ft. multimillion dollar masion in Martha's vineyard and back for this nonsense.

He doesn't have time to attend his security briefings. He doesn't have time to do his job, you know, because he is too busy. Too busy doing what nobody knows?

But he has plenty of time for fundraising, golf, vaction, and stuff like this.

What a slacker loser, and America elected him. (twice)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:41 pm »
Priorities ...   **nononono*

Yep.  Always time for what's important to him.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:01:45 pm »

What a slacker loser, and America elected him. (twice)

I swear, my otherwise intelligent twin brother would vote for him again.  I must have deprived him of nourishment or oxygen while we were in the womb.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 02:14:04 pm »
I swear, my otherwise intelligent twin brother would vote for him again.  I must have deprived him of nourishment or oxygen while we were in the womb.

Same here Lando, although my brother is not so otherwise intelligent. He is a mega-LIV who has totally bought in to the cultural meme that Republicans are evil and Democrats are good.

You cannot argue with him because he doesn't know enough to even understand what you are telling him. And when you dumb it down for him to where he can understand it, then he just gets confused and shuts it out. He doesn't want to think. He doesn't want anything to be complicated. As long as he has his preconceived good/bad mindset, that is enough for him. He is happy with that because it makes everything easy.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »

Same here Lando, although my brother is not so otherwise intelligent. He is a mega-LIV who has totally bought in to the cultural meme that Republicans are evil and Democrats are good.

You cannot argue with him because he doesn't know enough to even understand what you are telling him. And when you dumb it down for him to where he can understand it, then he just gets confused and shuts it out. He doesn't want to think. He doesn't want anything to be complicated. As long as he has his preconceived good/bad mindset, that is enough for him. He is happy with that because it makes everything easy.

You summed up half the electorate.  **sigh**
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »
He doesn't want to think. He doesn't want anything to be complicated. As long as he has his preconceived good/bad mindset, that is enough for him. He is happy with that because it makes everything easy.

This is unfortunately the case for a lot of people. :(
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 07:43:01 pm »
You GOTTA have priorities!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:11:02 pm »

My brother has 3 Masters degrees and the dumb ass voted for Obama twice.  You can never talk to him about politics because its too easy to think of killing him.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »
You summed up half the electorate.  **sigh**

Sir Winston Churchill once said that the best argument against Democracy could be found in a ten minute conversation with the average voter....

:smokin:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 03:18:04 am »
Sir Winston Churchill once said that the best argument against Democracy could be found in a ten minute conversation with the average voter....

:smokin:

Most people just want somebody else to do their thinking for them, and never really get to the meat of the philosophy behind the opinion.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates