Author Topic: UKIP defends MEP's 'Hitler speech' advice  (Read 404 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
UKIP defends MEP's 'Hitler speech' advice
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:24:09 am »
UKIP has defended one of its MEPs who allegedly advised prospective party candidates to learn from the speaking style of Adolf Hitler.

According to the Mail on Sunday, Bill Etheridge described the Nazi dictator as a "magnetic and forceful" performer who "achieved a great deal".

The West Midlands MEP spoke at a public speaking seminar at the Young Independence Conference in Birmingham.

UKIP said Mr Etheridge was discussing the style of great public speakers.

The newspaper says Mr Etheridge told the class: "Look back to the most magnetic and forceful public speaker possibly in history.

"When Hitler gave speeches, and many of the famous ones were at rallies, at the start he walks, back and forth, looked at people - there was a silence, he waited minutes just looking out at people, fixing them with his gaze.

"They were looking back and he would do it for a while. And then they were so desperate for him to start, when he started speaking they were hanging on his every word.

'I'm not saying direct copy - pick up little moments."

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28729098

The UKIP apple didn't fall very far from the National Front tree.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: UKIP defends MEP's 'Hitler speech' advice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:46:08 am »
EC wrote above:
[[ The UKIP apple didn't fall very far from the National Front tree. ]]

I know you've got good credentials here, EC, but if any party has a chance of saving your country from toppling over to islam, it's going to be UKIP, or the English Defense League, or perhaps a coalition of right-wing parties.

No one else has the sand to do what's required any more.

That goes for the rest of Western Europe, as well.

The left won't save the place (but will accelerate the collapse).
The "middle" won't save the place (but will wring their hands).
The "conservative" parties won't save the place (because there aren't any mainstream Western European conservatives left).

That leaves the job to only one end of the political spectrum: the far right.

That's why the far right is making impressive gains in Western European politics in recent years.

I would expect such trends to continue...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: UKIP defends MEP's 'Hitler speech' advice
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:58 am »
I sort of agree - yet disagree.  :shrug:

UKIP grew out of two distinct aspects - both of which will be familiar to you from your own experiences with people. Fear of change, and extreme xenophobia/isolationism. You no doubt know people with either or both. So do I - it's just something you avoid talking about if you want to have a quiet pint.

The USA seems to be trying to enter an isolationist phase right now on both sides of the aisle. You got the Worm's side, that is terrified of foreign policy. You got the Repub side, that doesn't want foreigners. People still listen to Ron Paul, for God's sake! (Yes, he's good on fiscal, but in terms of world politics, he wants to pull up the drawbridge after filling the moat with sharks.) UKIP is the same mind set.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink