Author Topic: UK plane drops first aid in Iraq  (Read 376 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
UK plane drops first aid in Iraq
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:17:48 am »
A British military aircraft has made the first drop of UK humanitarian aid in northern Iraq.

The Ministry of Defence said the plane had carried out its mission overnight.

It came a day after the government said the aid effort would focus on helping thousands of members of the Yazidi minority, who are trapped on a mountain after fleeing from Islamist militants.

Downing Street said on Saturday the UK would work with the US to try to "avert a genocide" there.

Parallel to the aid effort, US planes have been carrying out air strikes against fighters from the Islamic State (IS), which has been attacking Yazidi areas.

The militant Islamist group, formerly known as Isis or Isil, has seized swathes of territory across Iraq and Syria in the past few months and has threatened Iraqi minority groups.
Inclusive government

Two British C130 cargo planes are involved in delivering the aid to those who have fled from IS's advance.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28730743

While I hate to baselessly speculate - I am damned proud we are helping, and apparently so are the French with their own drops - some of those aid boxes loaded in the video report are a VERY familiar shape and size.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink