Author Topic: Obama: ‘Not My Decision’ to Pull Troops Out of Iraq By Joel Gehrke  (Read 422 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/385069/obama-not-my-decision-pull-troops-out-iraq-joel-gehrke

Obama: ‘Not My Decision’ to Pull Troops Out of Iraq
By Joel Gehrke
August 9, 2014 2:11 PM

President Obama refused to take responsibility for the lack of U.S. troops in Iraq, saying that American soldiers had to pull out due to political pressure from Iraqi leaders.

“This issue keeps on coming up as if this was my decision,” Obama retorted when asked if he had any second thoughts, in light of the terrorist force taking over regions of Iraq, about having pulled all American troops out of the country. “The reason that we did not have a follow-on force in Iraq was because a majority of Iraqis did not want U.S. troops there and politically they could not pass the kind of laws that would be required to protect our troops in Iraq,” he said.

A report in The New Yorker showed how President Obama failed to secure the status of forces agreement necessary to leave the troops in place after 2011.

Dexter Filkins explained:

President Obama, too, was ambivalent about retaining even a small force in Iraq. For several months, American officials told me, they were unable to answer basic questions in meetings with Iraqis—like how many troops they wanted to leave behind—because the Administration had not decided. “We got no guidance from the White House,” Jeffrey told me. “We didn’t know where the President was. Maliki kept saying, ‘I don’t know what I have to sell.’ ” At one meeting, Maliki said that he was willing to sign an executive agreement granting the soldiers permission to stay, if he didn’t have to persuade the parliament to accept immunity. The Obama Administration quickly rejected the idea. “The American attitude was: Let’s get out of here as quickly as possible,” Sami al-Askari, the Iraqi member of parliament, said.

When Obama announced the withdrawal, he portrayed it as the culmination of his own strategy.

“After taking office, I announced a new strategy that would end our combat mission in Iraq and remove all of our troops by the end of 2011,” he said. “So today, I can report that, as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obama: ‘Not My Decision’ to Pull Troops Out of Iraq By Joel Gehrke
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:50:10 am »
If Obama the Worm ever took an Ex-Lax, he would truly be the most transparent president in history.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:21 am »
What a weasel! 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:38:45 am »
This must have a pathological root. It must.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 03:06:10 am »
:facepalm2:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 03:53:30 am »
I've heard the "Iraqis asked us to leave" talking point several times lately. 

Got it.

"The Iraqis asked us to leave - and it was Bush's fault we were there in the first place."

If Obama & Co repeat it often enough, it becomes the truth.  He is sociopathic - and his followers are psychopathic.   
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!