Author Topic: Feinstein: 'It takes an army to defeat an army'  (Read 531 times)

rangerrebew

Feinstein: 'It takes an army to defeat an army'
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:30:24 am »

By Martin Matishak - 08/08/14 02:46 PM EDT

The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Friday said the extremist group the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS or ISIL) must be confronted forcefully by the U.S., though she stopped short of calling for boots on the ground.

“It takes an army to defeat an army, and I believe that we either confront ISIL now or we will be forced to deal with an even stronger enemy in the future,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said in a statement.

The group is “operating with military expertise, advancing across Iraq and rapidly consolidating its position,” she added.

“Inaction is no longer an option,” according to Feinstein.

The senior lawmaker also said it had “become clear” that the group is recruiting and training fighters from Western countries and possibly sending them back to cities in the U.S. and Europe in order to “attack us in our backyard.”

“We simply cannot allow this to happen,” Feinstein warned.

Late Thursday, President Obama said he had authorized the military to execute targeted airstrikes to aid Kurdish fighters and refugees under attack from ISIS.

Friday morning, Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby announced a pair of U.S. F/A-18 fighter jets dropped 500-pound laser-guided bombs on a mobile artillery piece near the Kurdish capital city of Erbil, where some U.S personnel are currently stationed.

Feinstein said ISIS is capturing new Iraqi towns every day and pointed out that militants now control the country’s biggest dam in Mosul.

ISIS is “engaging in a campaign of ethnic cleansing that appears to be attempted genocide,” she said. “I believe that once this group solidifies its hold on what it calls the Islamic State, its next target may be Baghdad.”

Read more: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/214721-feinstein-it-takes-an-army-to-defeat-an-army#ixzz39tD9B8lQ
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Feinstein: 'It takes an army to defeat an army'
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:45:07 am »
I know she's a hard core progressive and often says stupid things, but I will grant DiFi this - she takes her job on the intelligence committee totally seriously.

Second time I've agreed with her in less than a month.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:33:10 pm »
Holy SH*T! Unlike the Putter in Chief, she gets it!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 01:20:36 pm »
“Inaction is no longer an option,” according to Feinstein.

It was always going to take a powerful Democrat to goad this administration to action. Hillary's been saying it privately that Obama has his "hand off the tiller."

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »

Obama: 'Let's cut U.S. troop strength even more'
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:27:50 pm »
I posted in another thread that, according to military times, the US may need to put 15,000 boots on the ground.  Feinstein may have just fired the first salvo to soften the American people as to what Obama has in mind.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »
I posted in another thread that, according to military times, the US may need to put 15,000 boots on the ground.  Feinstein may have just fired the first salvo to soften the American people as to what Obama has in mind.

I think she's trying to get him to move in the right direction, because DiFi is in a position to see the same intelligence he has access to, and she knows damned well that a couple of 500 pounders on a single artillery piece means nothing.  She also knows exactly what ISIS/ISIL have captured from the disintegrating Iraqi army and what it is going to take to address it properly.  I don't think she has any more confidence in this President than anyone else, but is still trying hard not to directly say he's full of shit....

DiFi is a dedicated Democrat, but she is one of the few who has by choice been immersed in reality via National Intelligence for quite some time.  She is worth listening closely to on these matters because she is admonishing Obama on a fairly regular basis.  I suspect she is far less polite around select company....