Author Topic: AP Poll: Country Moves Towards GOP On Every Significant Issue  (Read 1068 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AP Poll: Country Moves Towards GOP On Every Significant Issue
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/07/ap-poll-country-moves-toward-gop-every-issue

by John Nolte 7 Aug 2014, 9:25 AM PDT

Although you wouldn’t know it from the lack of media coverage, or even the AP's own write-up of the poll (which gives new meaning to the phrase "buried lead"), a new Associated Press-GfK poll offers nothing but harrowing news for Democrats and the media who love them.

Buried in the "pox on both houses" rhetoric we're hearing from the media, what you will find in a little place I like to call Reality are the actual numbers, which show consequential movement towards the GOP on almost every issue voters are most concerned with. 

On the question of who voters would rather see win control of Congress, since May, Democrats have lost a 6 point 31-37% advantage. Both parties are now tied at 33% -- a full 6 point shift towards the GOP in just 6 weeks..

Since May, on the issue of handling the economy, the public has moved 4 points towards the GOP: a 25-27% advantage has now grown to 30-24%. On the federal budget, the GOP is up a full 5 points, 28-23%. On healthcare, the GOP has cut the Democrats advantage from 8 to just 5 points, 27-32%.

On the question of who should handle immigration, there has been a complete flip to the GOP. In May Democrats led 29-23%; today the GOP leads 29-25%. On managing the federal government, Republicans lead 27-24%; when it comes to protecting the country the GOP nearly doubles Democrats with 33-18% advantage.

When it comes to handling America's image abroad and handling an international crisis, the GOP leads by 24-27% and 29-20%, respectively.

While the media try to save Obama's final two years in office by focusing on birth control and gay marriage, at 87% and 76% levels, the public rates the issues of the economy and federal budget as "extremely or very important."

Immigration sits at 66% (an issue only New Media is covering); healthcare 77%, and gas prices 67%.

Meanwhile, the stories dominating the news, Israel and the Ukraine, rate only 42% and 38%.

The media is wholly unconcerned with the big issues huge majorities care about. Regardless, on every one of those issues, the public is moving towards Republicans.

The momentum is with the GOP and no amount of "it's an anti-incumbent electorate" anti-science talk will change that.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: AP Poll: Country Moves Towards GOP On Every Significant Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:24:13 pm »
Immigration is the hot issue, and the GOP has done everything it could to blunt it's effectiveness.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:59:36 pm »
I'll believe it when someone other than Breitbart says it.

Whether it's the mainstream media distorting the truth to fit a narrative, or Breitbart doing it, it's still distorting the truth.

I have ZERO faith in the American people to make the right decisions anymore.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:42:31 pm »
I'll believe it when someone other than Breitbart says it.

Whether it's the mainstream media distorting the truth to fit a narrative, or Breitbart doing it, it's still distorting the truth.

I have ZERO faith in the American people to make the right decisions anymore.

I'm with you.

Humans are reasonably good at determining where their interests lie. Americans are still human, (sort of).
It doesn't take a lot of education, effort, or intelligence to figure out more people in the country create more competition for finite resources. That could mean, jobs, merchandise, or government handouts, to name a few.

It's not unreasonable to expect that Americans aren't too keen on massive amounts of new citizens. The problem is, the GOP has done nothing to differentiate themselves from Democrats on this issue. If Boehner had his way, amnesty would be over and done, and this wouldn't even be an issue anymore. The public would just have to deal with it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »
Immigration is the hot issue, and the GOP has done everything it could to blunt it's effectiveness.

Besides your obvious hostility to the Republicans, you have a habit of being wrong on most everything. You think the GOP is not handling the immigration issue very well, even though the poll says otherwise.  You likely expect some frontal assault on immigrants themselves, which would doom any effort to take the political advantage.

The GOP has to fly under the radar on this issue.  The bill passed last Friday was exactly the right one:  don't spend a lot of money on refugees, change the law so that they can be returned to their home countries quickly, and stress the importance of border security.

Amnesty is going to kill the Democrats this fall, if Obama does what everyone thinks he's going to. It's best to let them do it, and not give the Dems a chance to make us the issue.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:15:46 am »
I'm with you.

Humans are reasonably good at determining where their interests lie. Americans are still human, (sort of).
It doesn't take a lot of education, effort, or intelligence to figure out more people in the country create more competition for finite resources. That could mean, jobs, merchandise, or government handouts, to name a few.

It takes ignorance to think America will be greater with fewer people.  Fewer thinkers.  Fewer artists.  Fewer inventors.  Fewer lucky accidents.  Everybody who is taxed, and by that I mean everybody, contributes to our federal, state, and local government and economy.  Every child supports a doctor, a teacher, a store that sells child seats and toys.  The list is endless.   Workers consume stuff which creates jobs, and they pay taxes right out of their pay check.  I want more workers in the US and as you know there are fewer workers available as the baby boomers move into retirement.

We live in a global economy.  There are no finite resources.  We have barely scratched the surface of this planet and soon we will be reaching for the stars.  Mankind continues to find better ways to find, extract, and utilize those resources.

Brighter days are just months away.

It's not unreasonable to expect that Americans aren't too keen on massive amounts of new citizens. The problem is, the GOP has done nothing to differentiate themselves from Democrats on this issue. If Boehner had his way, amnesty would be over and done, and this wouldn't even be an issue anymore. The public would just have to deal with it.
Doesn't Boehner get some credit for stepping aside and letting Speaker Cruz get some limelight for re-crafting a DOA sham bill?
One that truly reflects the Republican desire to deport children?   :vote:

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:06:37 pm »
Besides your obvious hostility to the Republicans, you have a habit of being wrong on most everything. You think the GOP is not handling the immigration issue very well, even though the poll says otherwise.  You likely expect some frontal assault on immigrants themselves, which would doom any effort to take the political advantage.

The GOP has to fly under the radar on this issue.  The bill passed last Friday was exactly the right one:  don't spend a lot of money on refugees, change the law so that they can be returned to their home countries quickly, and stress the importance of border security.

Amnesty is going to kill the Democrats this fall, if Obama does what everyone thinks he's going to. It's best to let them do it, and not give the Dems a chance to make us the issue.

Yes, I am hostile to Republicans. They attack their own, and they would have passed amnesty to fit with Obama's agenda, had there not been an uprising.

As for wrong... we'll see.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »
If, as many people keep saying, we need more workers to replace the many Americans who are out of work - and for some reason cannot work these jobs that require workers (or is it just that they won't work cheaper under the table?) --- IF --- we are so desperate for "workers" --- --- --- then they need to come to the US LEGALLY and be DOCUMENTED after background checks, etc - have shown them to be productive law-abiding people. 

Let. Them. Do. It. According. To. A. Legal. Process.

Is that so hard to understand?  Or is it more an issue of us needing a cheap labor/slave third class peon to satisfy big business/big donors?  Can we at least be honest about that?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »
If, as many people keep saying, we need more workers to replace the many Americans who are out of work - and for some reason cannot work these jobs that require workers (or is it just that they won't work cheaper under the table?) --- IF --- we are so desperate for "workers" --- --- --- then they need to come to the US LEGALLY and be DOCUMENTED after background checks, etc - have shown them to be productive law-abiding people. 

Is that so hard to understand?  Or is it more an issue of us needing a cheap labor/slave third class peon to satisfy big business/big donors?  Can we at least be honest about that?

That is what's frustrating Alice, both Democrats and GOPe would say we're racist for wanting such "extreme" measures.

If we are a nation of laws, this is simple, common sense. Apparently there are those on this board who find "their guy winning" preferable to rule of law.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »
That is what's frustrating Alice, both Democrats and GOPe would say we're racist for wanting such "extreme" measures.

If we are a nation of laws, this is simple, common sense. Apparently there are those on this board who find "their guy winning" preferable to rule of law.

Yep.  Now, it's totally about "the ends justifies the means" with both of our political parties.  That's really something to be proud of, isn't it?  I weep for America. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »

The. Legal. Process. Is. Broken.
If illegals thought they could enter legally they would enter legally.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:13:28 pm »
The. Legal. Process. Is. Broken.
If illegals thought they could enter legally they would enter legally.
They have been entering illegally for decades, under democrat and Republican administrations. The last major deportation was in the 1950s.

But more important than entering is staying. That is how there got to be so many of them.

And that has worked for them. Little downside, since very few are ever deported. Instead they enjoy a better standard of living, and send some money back home for awhile.

For all the tough talk, the most conservative Republican President put in place amnesty in 1986. Not a democrat, but Reagan no less. (I know, I know Reagan's apologists always say he claimed it was a mistake, like his abortion plan as governor, etc.)

Some form of normalization is likely. I favor legal residence for some qualifying workers, with chance for citizenship only with many conditions, and a long wait.

But as a practical matter, it doesn't make much difference to illegals, since it hasn't mattered much for decades. For long enough for them to marry here, have citizen children and grandchildren.

I went on a vacation and stopped where I lived aa a small boy, Fort Morgan Colorado. On the street I lived on, I talked to a woman. She stepped in when I started to talk to her grandfather, who spoke only Spanish.

They moved there from East Los Angeles, following the Rodney King riots in LA. Apparently had family there, too. Her experience and my own have more in common than initially might come to mind.

The California town I moved (back) to from Colorado is now dubbed "Guadalahabra" (from La Habra, since it has many Hispanics). The town next door is Whittier, home to Richard Nixon as a congressman. My mother's hometown, where her elementary school pictures in the 1930s include many brown faced school children.

The fact is people have crossed from Mexico into California, Texas, New Mexico since the Spanish colonial era, and a massive wall isn't going to stop it. (And back, too.)

If you live where Hispanics are 5% or less, and only recently--consider California, Texas, and New Mexico are at least 38%.

It may seem feasible to deport less than 5%, but it is known to be ridiculous to people living with 38%, most of them citizens or legal residents.

Finally how to deport them? Do we question people on the street? Make them sew a sombrero on their clothing?

The loudest voices in "conservatism" include calls for deportation. That will not happen. America's voters are not calling for it.  If you continually find yourself among those calling loudly for unpopular outcomes, plan on being frustrated and angry.

Deportation will not happen.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 08:14:48 pm »
And the Democrat wing of the Republican party speaks. Why does it always come down to some sort of accusatory tone? "You can't deport them all?!" "Would you throw them all in jail?" "It's not their fault!"

I've typed it enough times... it gets tiresome, because the Democrat wing of the Republican party reads as well as their Democrat allies. They don't comprehend, or ignore, or simply press their attack because it's fun, or something, who knows?

Close the border.

Democrat/GOPe says, "You can't do it, it's too big, too expensive, too complicated."

C'mon, let's take a stroll to a place called reality. An enforced border would be cheaper than giving welfare to anyone who can walk across an open border. Yes, an enforced border would still allow some to sneak across. Some. As in a fraction of what is coming across now, jihadis, Arabs, Asians, Hispanics, whoever wants in.

Build a barrier, enforce the border.

If Mexico can do it on their southern border, why can't we? In fact, take a stroll into Mexico from the US and see how it works out for you?

In case you missed it... build a barrier, enforce the border.

Then, once that's done, make them all citizens, throw them a party, give them all tickets to Yankees games, I don't care.

Enforce the border.