Author Topic: How Pat Roberts and the GOP Lost Kansas  (Read 966 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
How Pat Roberts and the GOP Lost Kansas
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:07:31 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/08/06/How-Pat-Roberts-and-the-GOP-Lost-Kansas

How Pat Roberts and the GOP Lost Kansas
by DAN RIEHL  6 Aug 2014

If you want to truly understand politics, especially of the Right-leaning variety, you'll have to look beyond the dumbed-down, self-congratulatory so called journalism of Beltway establishment publications like Politico.

Here is their headline out of Kansas: How Pat Roberts beat Milton Wolf. But the real story has to be read between the lines.

Pat Roberts’ narrower-than-expected win over challenger Milton Wolf on Tuesday night — came with a big lift from party headquarters in Washington.

The Republican Party threw everything they had behind Roberts .... and what did they get for it? Less than 50% of their own base vote, that's what. The anti-Roberts vote was split, not "defeated."

Roberts defeated Wolf, 48 percent to 41 percent; a pair of minor candidates combined for the remaining 11 percent of the vote.

The D.C. GOP consultant class can back-slap all they want. They may even dance themselves silly right out of their expensive loafers. Unfortunately, all the results from Kansas last night proved is that the Republican Party continues to be a party at odds with its base. Furthermore, if they continue to try and ignore that reality, anything and everything they think they are winning now will be wiped away with a disastrous defeat in 2016.

At this point, given the problems with their base voters, they may not even capture their coveted Senate majority in the Fall. Only able to capture 48% of their own vote, the Republican establishment did not emerge energized and victorious out of Kansas last night - what it did was throw just enough money at Kansas to enable an aging, out of touch politician to cling to power for just a few more years.

Fifty-two percent of their base voted against that happening, yet the D.C. GOP still doesn't seem to care. That's not victory, it's a defeat waiting to happen just down the line. The future will prove that isn't going to be enough for anything like a return to real power for an old, corrupt Republican political establishment with no solid long term plan for America's future, ... let alone its own.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

Re: How Pat Roberts and the GOP Lost Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »
The GOP needs to realize that they have a big problem.  Most of these incumbents who won primaries contested by those awful tea party people won with maybe half of the total votes - or less - after throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the election.  There is a huge segment of their base that is unhappy with the status quo. To act like they have achieved some great victory is to not be living in the real world. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »
As opposed to that Tea Party darling, Justin Amash, who denigrated his opponent after winning Tuesday and even refused a congratulatory phone call.

If Amash is the future of the Republican Party, I want no part of it.  Rude, condescending, nasty snot-nosers like Amash are what will turn voters to the Democrats.

He's the Alan Grayson of the Tea Party.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »
I think it is a 50/50 situation at this point (from an abstract point of view, not polling or guesstimates).  Dan's points are certainly correct about the base, but as Sink has pointed out in other threads, many of the 2014 Senate contests will be, in a large degree, a referendum on the current occupant.  So, there may be enough "don't normally vote for the Republican" voters to overcome the loss of the base turnout.

:shrug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »
The GOP needs to realize that they have a big problem.  Most of these incumbents who won primaries contested by those awful tea party people won with maybe half of the total votes - or less - after throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the election.  There is a huge segment of their base that is unhappy with the status quo. To act like they have achieved some great victory is to not be living in the real world.

Turnout's down across the board because people are disgusted with Washington.  The "awful Tea Party people" put up some very lame candidates, just as they did in 2010.  Thankfully, none will make it on to the ballot, so the GOP does have a very good chance of picking up the Senate.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »
I think it is a 50/50 situation at this point (from an abstract point of view, not polling or guesstimates).  Dan's points are certainly correct about the base, but as Sink has pointed out in other threads, many of the 2014 Senate contests will be, in a large degree, a referendum on the current occupant.  So, there may be enough "don't normally vote for the Republican" voters to overcome the loss of the base turnout.

:shrug:

If the "base" (i.e., in some people's minds that equates to the Tea Party, even though it's less than 20% of the GOP) doesn't turn out when the Senate's at stake, then to hell with the base.   Why should the rest of the GOP give a damn what they think if they don't realize the importance of this election?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »
If the "base" (i.e., in some people's minds that equates to the Tea Party, even though it's less than 20% of the GOP) doesn't turn out when the Senate's at stake, then to hell with the base.   Why should the rest of the GOP give a damn what they think if they don't realize the importance of this election?

Well that's the thing right there, Sink.  It really doesn't much matter what the rest of the GOP thinks or if they give a damn or not, if people don't turn out to vote, then the elections will be hard to win.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:05 pm »
Well that's the thing right there, Sink.  It really doesn't much matter what the rest of the GOP thinks or if they give a damn or not, if people don't turn out to vote, then the elections will be hard to win.

If Republicans don't turn out to vote because they're in a snit that a cock-fighting supporter Bevin didn't beat McConnell, then they're no different from the my-way-or-the-highway Obama.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »

Firstly, if the tea party is "less than 20% of the GOP", then there were a lot of other GOP voters that were unhappy enough with the incumbents to vote for their opponents.  Sure, there were some flawed candidates that were promoted by tea party interests, but there were also good candidates as well who were unable to raise the "big money" to counter the establishment's big money donors. 

This segment of voters is still a fledgling movement, we aren't going to just go away - and we will learn as we go.  I don't think the GOP has heard the last from them - and yes - we DO realize the importance of this election!  To denigrate them and downplay their concerns with what is happening in Washington under their watch is not smart policy. 

The GOP needs to look in the mirror and ask itself, "is some of this criticism justified?"  "Have we lost our way?"  "What do we stand for - and fight for?" 

I won't stay home this Fall, but surely some will.  The Democrats call them "disenfranchised voters" - and they fight like hell for them on their side.  You NEVER see the Democrats treat their base like the GOP has been lately.  And when I say "base" - I mean people like myself.  You couldn't ask for a more loyal GOP voter than I have been over the last 40 years!  I have volunteered in many ways and have donated many of my dollars to the cause over the years - but the Republican Party has lost it's way and they need to be called on it.

The strategy of bulldozing some of their most passionate supporters into a mass grave is not indicative of good long term strategy. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »
If Republicans don't turn out to vote because they're in a snit that a cock-fighting supporter Bevin didn't beat McConnell, then they're no different from the my-way-or-the-highway Obama.

Functionally it may appear to be that way, but I think the motivations are far different.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 03:01:29 pm »

I know that is a reference to ME, since I am probably the only Kentuckian that posts here.  As I said in my last post above - I WILL turn out to vote this Fall - people DIED for my right to do so!  I have never skipped an election.  Until the GOP can see that maybe - just MAYBE - they are the problem, I think they are going to continue to be an impotent, damaged brand. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »
The GOP needs to realize that they have a big problem.

The GOP leadership understands reality.  It is a mistake to think that their plans are anything but Demonrat-lite for the party.

Our government and media have been co-opted by international money-interests to drive this country in a direction that is contrary to the country's own best interest.

It has been known for hundreds of years that high tax rates hurt the economy and a weak military invites foreign aggression.  This ain't rocket surgery, folks.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 03:28:46 pm »
I know that is a reference to ME, since I am probably the only Kentuckian that posts here.  As I said in my last post above - I WILL turn out to vote this Fall - people DIED for my right to do so!  I have never skipped an election.  Until the GOP can see that maybe - just MAYBE - they are the problem, I think they are going to continue to be an impotent, damaged brand.

If you don't leave a tip, a waitress can chalk it up to forgetfulness.  If you leave a penny or nickel or dime, they get the message.  I think a lot of the people who don't vote these days are conservatives, Republicans, Democrats and the rest thinking their voices aren't being listened to.
A better strategy might be to organize a write-in campaign using a cartoon character with the same initials as the candidate they would like to replace.  There would be no mistaking that.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 03:31:39 pm »
If you don't leave a tip, a waitress can chalk it up to forgetfulness.  If you leave a penny or nickel or dime, they get the message.  I think a lot of the people who don't vote these days are conservatives, Republicans, Democrats and the rest thinking their voices aren't being listened to.
A better strategy might be to organize a write-in campaign using a cartoon character with the same initials as the candidate they would like to replace.  There would be no mistaking that.

I agree ONC.  Not voting at all gives the appearance of apathy - and I and others are anything but apathetic!