Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson 'not racist' says BBC chief  (Read 485 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Jeremy Clarkson 'not racist' says BBC chief
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:19:01 am »
The BBC's head of television, Danny Cohen, has said he does not believe Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson is racist.

In a letter to the Guardian, Cohen wrote: "It's no secret that there have been some significant issues on Top Gear in recent months.

"Whilst Jeremy and I disagree on the language some have recently found very offensive, I do not think he or anyone on the Top Gear team are racist."

Clarkson was given a final warning about his behaviour on the show in May.

It followed claims he used a racist word while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe during filming of the BBC Two programme. Clarkson subsequently apologised.

Last week, Ofcom ruled Clarkson broke broadcasting rules during a Top Gear special in Burma, also known as Myanmar, when he used "an offensive racial term... which was not justified by context".

'Unique take'

Cohen recently implemented an internal review of the show, which he described in his letter as a "health check".

"The BBC has taken [the recent issues] seriously and has left no one associated with the programme under any illusion just how seriously," he wrote.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28685935

Personally, I think he's a bleep. Nothing more, nothing less.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink