Author Topic: Army Promotes First Vietnamese-American General  (Read 566 times)

rangerrebew

Army Promotes First Vietnamese-American General
« on: August 07, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »
Army Promotes First Vietnamese-American General

Associated Press | Aug 07, 2014

FORT HOOD, Texas — A Fort Hood soldier whose family came to the United States as refugees when he was 10 became the first Vietnamese-American to reach the rank of general in the U.S. Army on Wednesday.

Col. Viet Luong received his brigadier general's stars from the Fort Hood commander, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, at a ceremony Wednesday at the Central Texas Army post.

Luong and nine other family members escaped South Vietnam on a flight during Operation Frequent Wind in 1975. After a stay at a resettlement camp in Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, the family settled in Los Angeles, the Killeen Daily Herald reported.

Today, he is the 1st Cavalry Division deputy commanding general for maneuver and the first Vietnamese-born officer to reach the position of general staff or flag officer in the U.S. military.

"The journey was arduous," he said after his wife pinned his new stars on him.

"I don't like to tell that story too much. I'm deeply humbled. I do have some responsibility ... to tell the story of our nation and what it stands for," he said.

"I'm a symbol of democracy, freedom and the justice of our Constitution," he said.

Among the hundreds attending the ceremony were Luong's seven sisters, his mother, wife and three children.

"Viet and sisters are Americans now by choice," Milley said. "He has served this great nation honorably over the last many decades. ... There's no one in uniform today that epitomizes what it takes to be an American soldier more than Viet Luong."

Luong commanded combat troops in Iraq in 2006-08 and Afghanistan in 2009-10.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/08/07/army-promotes-first-vietnamese-american-general.html?comp=700001075741&rank=2
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:31:05 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Army Promotes First Vietnamese-American General
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »
Congratulations, Sir. Wear them well.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

Re: Army Promotes First Vietnamese-American General
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:03:00 pm »
Makes me think of the ARVN officers from 20th Tank Squadron I worked with. They'd be proud. So am I.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee