Author Topic: 'Accidental congressman' loses primary  (Read 746 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Accidental congressman' loses primary
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:08 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/214437-accidental-congressman-loses-primary

August 05, 2014, 09:38 pm
'Accidental congressman' loses primary

By Cameron Joseph

Rep. Kerry Bentivolio (R-Mich.) has lost his primary to businessman Dave Trott (R), making him the third House incumbent to fall this election cycle.

The Associated Press has called the race for Trott, who spent more than $2 million of his own money on the primary. He led Bentivolio by 66 percent to 34 percent with 60 percent of precincts reporting.

Bentivolio, a Tea Party activist and former reindeer farmer and Santa impersonator, was dubbed the "accidental congressman" in 2012. He was a major underdog until then-Rep. Thad McCotter (R-Mich.) failed to qualify for the ballot. Establishment Republicans fell short in a write-in campaign against him and Democrats failed to knock him off in the Republican-leaning district.

The freshman was an early target of local business Republicans — the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and its local affiliates endorsed Trott, as did 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney and a number of local Republican officials.

Bentivolio never mounted much of a challenge — he refused to fundraise effectively, didn't lock in big endorsements from conservative outside groups and lost his campaign manager late this spring, while Trott coalesced most of the establishment behind him.

He's the third House Republican to fall in a primary this cycle, following former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's (R-Va.) stunning upset and Rep. Ralph Hall's (R-Texas) fall.

Trott starts off as the favorite in his GOP-leaning district heading into the fall.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: 'Accidental congressman' loses primary
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:32:27 am »
The freshman was an early target of local business Republicans — the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and its local affiliates endorsed Trott, as did 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney and a number of local Republican officials.

Real conservatives have been demanding the GOP take suicidal positions, like shutdowns, and impeachment.  They have been threatening and bragging about leaving the GOP for years, and this year they declared war on the GOP leadership.  The GOPe is fighting back.  We want our party back.  We are tired of apologizing for the rantings of the looney right.  "I'm not a witch. I'm just like you,""legitimate rape,""war on whites,""black people voted in the MSGOP primary," and "extremism is no vice."

Some cancers can be killed by poisoning the cancer but that damages the host too.  Some cancers must be removed with a scalpel.

3 incumbents defeated during this primary challenge against the leadership of the GOPe. The Tea Party took down elderly Ralph Hall who received the ACU conservative award 33 times, they totally skipped the battle to take down Cantor who IMO is clearly a solid conservative, and tonight they lost one of there own.  Not a great scorecard for all that money flushed down the toilet. 

Are the people who support SCF, Freedomworks, Heritage Action, Tea Party Patriots, Club for Growth satisfied?  I know I'm more than satisfied with my donations to the RNC, and the NRSC.

Another accident has been corrected.  Go GOPe!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 06:02:25 am »
Could someone please tell me what the GOP stands for these days? 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:31:01 am »

Here is our last national platform http://www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/

Off the top of my head I'll say
Right to Life
Right to Guns
Right to Worship
Right to Speech
Rights of States
Right to keep earnings

Some of those sound Constitutiony

This Ralph Hall guy who wasn't conservative enough for the right fringe stood for low taxes, a strong defense, and conservative social issues.

“Conservatives have a responsibility to fight the out-of-control growth of government in Congress. We are proud to honor the fine work of Representative Hall in that battle,” said ACU Chairman Al Cardenas.

Rep. Hall and Rep. Michele Bachmann visit at the American Conservative Union Awards Ceremony before they are both honored as "top conservatives" consistently supporting issues of concern to grassroots conservatives.

The following are Key Votes highlighted by the ACU in which Rep. Hall supported a conservative vote:

H.R. 152, Disaster Relief  (Roll Call 14)
H.R. 152, Wasteful Spending (Roll Call 16)
H.R. 152, Legal Services Corporation (Roll Call 18)
S. 47, Violence Against Women Act (Roll Call 55)
H.R. 890, Welfare Reform (Roll Call 68)
H. Con. Res. 25, Conservative Budget (Roll Call 86)
H.R. 1120, National Labor Relations Board (Roll Call 101)
H.R. 2216, Davis Bacon Wage Rate Requirements (Roll Call 191)
H.R. 1960, Missile Defense (Roll Call 230)
H.R. 1797, Right to Life (Roll Call 251)
H.R. 1947, Farm Bill (Roll Call 257)
H.R. 1947, Farm Bill (Roll Call 263)
H.R. 1947, Christmas Tree Tax (Roll Call 274)
H.R. 1947, Food Stamp Reform (Roll Call 283)
H.R. 2609, Government Reform (Roll Call 343)
H.R. 2397, Defense Appropriations (Roll Call 397)
H.R. 2397, Guantanamo (Roll Call 405)
H.R. 2610, Air Service Subsidies (Roll Call 421)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:12:06 am »

A lust for money and power.

Everything they else claim to stand for is just lies to get elected.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:12:22 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:49 am »

As true a statement as has ever been spoken.  The 21st century GOPe is feckless and rudderless. They need strong leadership and a freaking platform, for heavens sake!

Offline speekinout

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:57 am »

That's a pointless question. The only possible answers are meaningless statements like "the Constitution" or "motherhood and apple pie" or maybe a single issue statement like "an end to abortion".

If you want to ask something meaningful, you would ask what a GOP Congress would try to accomplish in the last two years of an 0bama admin. And then you would judge them by, first off, the merits of their proposals; and secondly, by the soundness of their strategy to get those proposals implemented in an 0bama admin. It really shouldn't matter all that much if you like the individuals - we're not voting on Miss America or the newest American Idol - it only matters if they have proposals to fix something that's broken. There are a lot of things to choose from, and they can't fix them all, so a promise to fix everything is not a good answer.

Unfortunately, answering those questions would require at least a majority of GOPers to agree on a platform. So far, they're much too busy fighting each other to agree on anything. In that respect, they are listening to their "base" - we're the ones who don't agree with each other any more than they do. :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 01:13:57 am »

I don't know about money, but if ANYBODY is lusting for power, it's Ted Cruz, Mr. Tea Party himself.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 01:53:17 am »
If he cannot manage to mount even a mildly effective primary campaign, how on Earth could he have been expected to withstand a democrat party blitzkrieg?