Author Topic: Ohio man, 90, gets 4 years in wife's 'mercy' killing  (Read 776 times)

Offline flowers

Ohio man, 90, gets 4 years in wife's 'mercy' killing
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:59:20 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/05/ohio-man-0-gets-4-years-in-wife-mercy-killing/

ELYRIA, Ohio –  A judge has sentenced a 90-year-old Ohio man to four years in prison for killing his wife of 65 years -- but he could be released after serving six months.

Robert Shaw from the Cleveland suburb of Avon was originally charged with aggravated murder for smothering his 84-year-old wife, Virginia, in November 2008. He pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in June as part of a plea deal.

Shaw's daughter thanked prosecutors and the Lorain County judge during a hearing Monday for how they treated their father.

Shaw's attorney had said his client killed his sick wife to end her suffering caused by medical problems. The attorney said Monday his client accepts responsibilities for his actions and is at peace with the sentence.

Offline olde north church

Re: Ohio man, 90, gets 4 years in wife's 'mercy' killing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »
First time he got caught.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:55 pm »
The prosecutor should have used discretion and:  Left. Him. Alone.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »
First time he got caught.

"First time he got caught."  What does that mean?

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:24:25 pm »
"First time he got caught."  What does that mean?

Cops and prosecutors use that one all the time.  I was being facetious.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:47:08 pm »
Sorry. Went right over my head.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:24 pm »
killed his sick wife to end her suffering caused by medical problems
Without any more information about her condition, her prognosis, her express desires, their relationship, etc. than this, it's inappropriate to conclude the authorities should not have prosecuted.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
Without any more information about her condition, her prognosis, her express desires, their relationship, etc. than this, it's inappropriate to conclude the authorities should not have prosecuted.

Do you think it's possible that after 65 years of marriage the guy finally had had enough and murdered her?

Or is it more likely that he knew that she had had enough and so helped release her?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »
It's possible he believed she had suffered enough, irrespective of her actual desire. There are a lot of possibilities. A lot of people who are very sick and suffering greatly still want to live. We just don't know what was going on in this case.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 11:59:01 pm »
It's possible he believed she had suffered enough, irrespective of her actual desire. There are a lot of possibilities. A lot of people who are very sick and suffering greatly still want to live. We just don't know what was going on in this case.

That's all true, granted. But, I've had some personal experience in this area that has led me to be more understanding to what may have been going on in the mind of this gentleman. That he may be released after six months tells me the state probably understood the couple's situation and the man's state of mind.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:25:47 am »
That's all true, granted. But, I've had some personal experience in this area that has led me to be more understanding to what may have been going on in the mind of this gentleman. That he may be released after six months tells me the state probably understood the couple's situation and the man's state of mind.

I know what you are saying AC, as you know, I've had personal experience as well that has given me compassion for what this poor man and his wife probably went through.  No one can say for sure, but to watch a loved one suffer through a terrible illness that they can never recover from - to know that their condition will continue to worsen - I can certainly understand a loving husband acting as he did.  Who's to say that he wasn't carrying out his wife's wishes? 

Going through what I've gone through with my parents, I've already talked with my husband about my feelings and how I would want to be treated should the situation arise.  I won't condemn the man, I think he did what he did out of love. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:57:24 am »
I'm not comfortable speaking openly about this. I just know what I know. I know that a person can check out weeks or months before all life functions cease, putting emotional and financial strain on their loved ones. It's hard for me to see what this man did as criminal. And until one is in that situation, I would reserve judgment. I hadn't always felt this way.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:00:24 am »
I'm not comfortable speaking openly about this. I just know what I know. I know that a person can check out weeks or months before all life functions cease, putting emotional and financial strain on their loved ones. It's hard for me to see what this man did as criminal. And until one is in that situation, I would reserve judgment. I hadn't always felt this way.

Yup.
Then again, the old bastard was planning this whole thing since 1966 or '67 and finally thought he had all his ducks in a row.  Meanwhile, a few towns over there's a guy with 3 girls locked in his basement.  Nuthin' like low hangin' fruit to put scalps on the wall!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 11:12:43 am »
I'm in favor of granting mercy when it is needed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink