Author Topic: Ebola Quarantine Stations Established in El Paso, Los Angeles and 18 Other Cities  (Read 355 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
So American citizens who get Ebola should be consigned to a third world h*ll hole for treatment rather than being brought back?

Offline Fishrrman

Oceander asks above:
[[ So American citizens who get Ebola should be consigned to a third world h*ll hole for treatment rather than being brought back? ]]

That's a difficult question.

I'll play the realist:

Citizenship matters for nothing.

What DOES matter is that the infected person has one of the most deadly and virulent diseases to arise in recent history.

We will be told that "every precaution will be taken" and (in all likelihood) that "nothing can go wrong with our procedures".

But I sense that even the most well-versed researchers studying the Ebola virus still do not know all its vectors of transmission.

We've seen that healthcare workers taking all kinds of precautions, STILL become infected. That's how the two infected persons currently being treated in Atlanta caught the disease.

But again, we'll be told that it's completely safe, that they're properly quarantined here and there is no chance that anyone else could be infected.

What could go wrong?

Aside:
I find it very interesting that both Americans seem to be responding to the "secret serum" (no longer much of a secret) developed by some drug firm on the west coast, even though the drug is not yet "approved" (LONG process). The CDC better have as many doses of that drug as the developer company can provide, testing process be damned....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So American citizens who get Ebola should be consigned to a third world h*ll hole for treatment rather than being brought back?

Why not? It's the fundamental idea behind quarantine. Minimal exposure of others to the infected, and isolation in place is the most effective way of doing that. They knew that back during the Black Death. Entire villages would isolate themselves, and surrounding villages would leave food at specific drop points.

Immigrant ships where someone showed signs of infectious illness would anchor off shore and fly the yellow ensign. No one boarded and no one left until the disease had run it's course.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf