Author Topic: What Atheists Have To Offer The Right  (Read 313 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
What Atheists Have To Offer The Right
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
Robert Tracinski
The Federalist
August 5, 2014

Conservative writer and CNN talking head S.E. Cupp recently put out a video describing how she has been welcomed among conservatives even though she is an atheist. This led Hot Air's Allahpundit to chime in with his own experiences, citing myself and National Review's Charles Cooke as other examples of atheists on the Right. And we're not the only ones. There's Heather Mac Donald and Walter Olson, and a whole website devoted to the issue. Among marquee names, there are a few famous agnostics/atheists like Charles Krauthammer and George Will.

When you start looking, we're everywhere.

I pretty much agree with Cupp about not feeling excluded. Heck, The Federalist even encourages me to comment on the Bible from an unbeliever's perspective. Yes, I get a fair number of readers who disagree with me, but as a general rule Christians tend to be annoyingly nice critics. Environmentalists will tell me they wish I would die; Christians tell me they're praying for me. I try to return the favor by not demonizing Christians, so to speak, in the way that the Richard Dawkins "New Atheist" crowd does.
More