Author Topic: EPA-approved E-15 gas drives buyer-beware campaign  (Read 335 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
EPA-approved E-15 gas drives buyer-beware campaign
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:36:35 PM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: EPA-approved E-15 gas drives buyer-beware campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
Even 10% ethanol is dangerous in older cars.  We had an 83 year old woman's land yacht catch fire in the drive through and burnt the local McDonalds to the ground.  The ethanol caused a catastrophic failure of the seals in her fuel system and dumped raw gas all over the place, causing the fire.  Lots of seals that were developed specifically for gasoline, dissolve quite readily in ethanol, even in dilute form...

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
Fuel from food is a government subsidized mistake. But for now it is probably impossible to stop or reverse, since so many farmers benefit.

Otherwise conservative residents, will go for the government subsidies, time after time.

In the beginning these types of things look to be "win-win." They become permanent dependencies, however.

Education, defense-aerospace, housing-building, banking-finance, etc. Government gets its tentacles into affairs of people, making them dependents.

Not inner-city children of crack whores, but middle class suburbanites.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR²

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
Next to anthropogenic globull warming, this stuff is the mother of all scams.

The EPA and the farmers may love it but your engine certainly won't.

The only place that sells 100% gas in my area is SAMs. If I need gas and can't get to the SAMs pumps, I fill it up just enough to get me by till I can.

Here's the advantages:
1..10% to 15% lower gas mileage
2..Eats up your car engine and exhaust parts
3..Robs corn from the poor starving people (my personal favorite)
4..Pollutes the air. Yes, you heard it right, pollutes the air.

Go ethanol...bring on E-80

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
It is possible - at considerable inconvenience and expense - to retrofit your car to handle ethanol rich fuels. Ford actually built an engine that would run on ethanol perfectly happily, then scrapped it because at the time refiners were basically throwing the light fractions away.

My question has always been though - why corn? Potatoes produce far more per acre, don't need fussing over beyond one spray to kill the beetle eggs, and starch is starch as far as fermentation is concerned.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:53:38 AM »
It is possible - at considerable inconvenience and expense - to retrofit your car to handle ethanol rich fuels. Ford actually built an engine that would run on ethanol perfectly happily, then scrapped it because at the time refiners were basically throwing the light fractions away.

My question has always been though - why corn? Potatoes produce far more per acre, don't need fussing over beyond one spray to kill the beetle eggs, and starch is starch as far as fermentation is concerned.

Why corn?  Ask Iowa.  If Idaho (spuds) than Iowa (corn), then it'd be potatoes, not corn.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf