Author Topic: Absurd study of the week: getting shot naked is safer than while clothed  (Read 931 times)

rangerrebew

Absurd Study Shows Getting Shot Naked is Safer

by Betty Butter • 1 August, 2014 • Guns • 1 Comment

Absurd study of the week: getting shot naked is safer than while clothed

Using deer femurs, they found that a layer of denim made it more likely that a bullet would cause an indirect bone fracture (that is, a bullet causing a bone break without coming into direct contact with the bone). This was because the fabric increased the amount of overall pressure on the tissue at the moment of impact and led to a larger cavity being opened in it.

The direct applications of this finding might seem limited: few people plan their wardrobe (or lack thereof) around the possibility that they might get shot. And clearly, gunshot wounds cause all sorts of trauma besides bone breaks. But the researchers say this work is an important step in understanding the surprisingly overlooked process of how bullets actually damage human tissue.

For the study, the researchers picked up deer femurs at a nearby processing plant and surrounded them in ballistic gelatin — a substance specifically designed to mirror the consistency of human tissue, for research purposes.

Then, they shot the gelatin-covered femurs — either naked, or covered with a single or double layer of denim — while carefully measuring the pressure exerted on the gelatin at the moment the bullet arrived, as well as the velocity of the bullet as it entered and left the fake tissue, and other metrics. But instead of shooting directly at the bone, they shot through the gelatin so that the bullet just barely missed the femur.

They did this because it’s previously been found that in many cases, gunshots actually cause bone fractures indirectly — the pressure caused by an arriving bullet violently opens up a temporary tissue cavity that can break bone. Experiments have determined that bullets passing through tissue 10 millimeters away from the bone can cause fractures in this way.

In this experiment, the denim (whether single or double layer) acted to increase the pressure caused by an arriving bullet. This led to temporary tissue cavities roughly three times as large being ripped open in the clothed femurs, the researchers calculated. And it meant a bullet could pass relatively farther from the femur and still indirectly cause a fracture: bullets passing 20 millimeters away from the bone caused an indirect break in clothed tissue, versus 10 millimeters for unclothed tissue.

Additionally, when comparing clothed and unclothed tissues both hit with bullets passing the same 10 millimeters from the bone, the former group suffered deeper and more complex fractures, with multiple fragments.

So is it really that much better to be shot naked?

Read more here

Read more at http://blurbrain.com/absurd-study-shows-getting-shot-naked-safer/#dZ9BiVSRflteT1Ba.99
Read more at http://blurbrain.com/absurd-study-shows-getting-shot-naked-safer/#dZ9BiVSRflteT1Ba.99

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
What, exactly, makes this an absurd study?

It's something we didn't know before and do know now. It has a few practical ramifications to be explored, if people are smart enough to do so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Not impressed. This old news.

I spent my whole time in the military naked. Everyone left me alone.

(except when I delt with the Navy, but that is a whole different story)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Wot? No boots?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

Why do the Marines have so many tattoos? So the Navy has something to read in the shower.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
True story man, for real.

I was in the barracks just out of the shower. I walked over to my bunk to get dressed. Now keep in mind I am oblivious. Everything I am doing is, like, robotic or something. So I drop my towel and some guy started yelling. I mean he was really upset. A couple of other soldiers came over and were holding and consoling him.

I had no idea what was going on. He starts yelling, 'Why the hell are you naked!'
I said, 'because I have to be naked before I can put my underwear on. I think that's how it works for everyone?'

He was having a fit because he saw a naked man.

So I walked over to him, still naked, (I thought he was joking or something) and I said 'come on, give us a little kiss'.

I thought he was going to faint, he flipped out, so I backed off. Got dressed.

I have never seen a reaction like that. It is obvious that my being in a state of undress, triggered something. I was thinking a perv uncle or something. Something happened to this guy.

When you are in the military, and dealing with hundreds of all kinds of people, you just never know what is going to happen next.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Odd reaction indeed! Nicely handled though - a bit of humor to relax the rest of them and take the edge off, then backing off.  :beer:

Could well be a perv uncle (or older neighbor, or camp counselor, or scout leader, or priest, or teacher) that you just happened to resemble slightly and it kicked him off. I mean - he got through the communal showers in boot just fine, right? Had to have if he were there.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Either that or he was simply incredibly attacted to me, without my knowledge.
Gay men are attracted to my look. I have delt with it all my life. I have been hit on by dudes more times than I can count. Some of them became obsessive and weird. Strange people.

I have never been gay. I do have some kind of gay thing going on, but I do not know what it is. Clean, taut, tall, shaven, speak well, well read, I like old movies and broadway, and I go to theater and opera once in a while.

Everything a pretty boy could want. But, that gay stuff is not for me. I am crazy for women. I love everything about them. They make me lose my mind. (and my money)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Either that or he was simply incredibly attacted to me, without my knowledge.
Gay men are attracted to my look. I have delt with it all my life. I have been hit on by dudes more times than I can count. Some of them became obsessive and weird. Strange people.

I have never been gay. I do have some kind of gay thing going on, but I do not know what it is. Clean, taut, tall, shaven, speak well, well read, I like old movies and broadway, and I go to theater and opera once in a while.

Everything a pretty boy could want. But, that gay stuff is not for me. I am crazy for women. I love everything about them. They make me lose my mind. (and my money)

Educated, well spoken, interested in the performing arts - yep, that hits a lot of tick boxes right there. Being decent looking won't help your case - betting you dress pretty nicely as well.

I've had it a few times (God knows why, I certainly don't. I'm ugly as hell. Maybe it's the rough trade thing some of them seem to have.) - mostly in pubs and bars. I just say "Thank you, but I am straight. Fancy a drink and a chat though?" Most of them back off. Gives them a face saving way to not be embarrassed. Couple of them are now pretty good friends.

The stalker types - maybe you get them because you are not gay at all and they know it? You know what they say about people wanting what they can't have. You are everything they'd like and want, but simply not interested.

People are endlessly amusing.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Educated, well spoken, interested in the performing arts - yep, that hits a lot of tick boxes right there. Being decent looking won't help your case - betting you dress pretty nicely as well.

I've had it a few times (God knows why, I certainly don't. I'm ugly as hell. Maybe it's the rough trade thing some of them seem to have.) - mostly in pubs and bars. I just say "Thank you, but I am straight. Fancy a drink and a chat though?" Most of them back off. Gives them a face saving way to not be embarrassed. Couple of them are now pretty good friends.

The stalker types - maybe you get them because you are not gay at all and they know it? You know what they say about people wanting what they can't have. You are everything they'd like and want, but simply not interested.

People are endlessly amusing.

One time my brother convinced me to go to a small house party with some of his gay friends. We were all drinking and having a decent time, but there was one guy there that was staring at me rather intently. It became obvious after the 3rd or 4th time he tried to casually brush up against my genitalia that he was a huge creeper and was eye bleep me even though everybody knew I was straight. He just wouldn't stop staring and being creepy as hell, and it ended up making me so uncomfortable that I left. From that point on I have understood the woes of pretty young women that deal with that crap from straight guys on a regular basis.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Absurd study of the week: getting shot naked is safer than while clothed
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »
Yeah, dude, me too. I was out drinking with a guy, thinking nothing of it. Suddenly, he saw two girls in a car and starting chasing them with his car. I mean he was really on them. I was literally yelling, 'What the hell are you doing!?' But he would not stop chasing them. They finally pulled into a driveway and ran up to the door. I looked and him and he panting and sweating. Freakin' crazy.

So we got back to base. We both get out of the car. He comes up to me and gives me a crazy hug. Then he says, 'Oh I love you so much.' While hugging me strongly. All of this fell from the sky, I had no idea. I broke his freakin' nose.

Gays are like chefs. You can tell them that you don't like broccoli, but they will not hear it. Every chef will always say, 'That's only because you never had it like I cook it.' That is my experience with gay men.

And I understand what you said about creepy guys chasing after girls. I know what you mean. But I can only tolerate so much.

The difference is when they piss me off, they wind up needing medical attention. No means no!, dude!

Oceander

Re: Absurd study of the week: getting shot naked is safer than while clothed
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:03:36 pm »
What, exactly, makes this an absurd study?

It's something we didn't know before and do know now. It has a few practical ramifications to be explored, if people are smart enough to do so.

Depending on how dramatic the difference, it might lead to different triage protocols on gunshot wounds depending on whether the bullet(s) passed through weak fabric/clothing or strong fabric/clothing.

The underlying factor - wider openings caused by rounds hitting strong fabric - is more or less similar to the difference between a hollow point and a non-hollow point round:  the flattening tip of the hollow point creates a larger wound than the non-hollow point.