Author Topic: Coal Miners Union In Full Revolt After Supporting Obama In 2008  (Read 850 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Coal Miners Union In Full Revolt After Supporting Obama In 2008

Posted By Michael Bastasch On 2:45 PM 08/02/2014 In | No Comments

It’s unlikely that United Mine Workers of America president Cecil Roberts thought he would be arrested protesting the energy policies of the very politician his union supported in 2008. But things have come full circle for coal miners, who now see President Obama’s climate agenda threatening their livelihoods.

Roberts and other UMWA members were arrested Thursday marching through Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, towards the federal building the Environmental Protection Agency was holding field hearings for a new rule that could very well force more coal mines and plants to shut down.

Roberts was leading about 5,000 coal miners, their families and supporters to show the EPA that coal miners, boilermakers, electric workers and other unions did not support the Obama administration’s new regulations limiting carbon dioxide emissions from coal-fired power plants.

“This was an expression by the leadership of the union and the solidarity for our members when our jobs are on the line … it’s what it’s all about,” Roberts said while being arrested.

UMWA District 31 vice president Mike Caputo said the Pittsburgh rally was only “the first shot of the battle” against the Obama’s administration’s regulatory agenda.

“We were willing to go to jail to show the government that this is a serious issue within our union and the jobs that it affects,” Caputo told the Register-Herald. “We painted a vivid picture of who this rule is going to affect.”

The fact is, UMWA has come along way since 2008 when they enthusiastically supported Barack Obama in his bid for the presidency.

During the 2008 campaign, UMWA had originally thrown its weight behind former North Carolina Democratic Sen. John Edwards during the primaries. But after he dropped out of the race, the coal miners union heartily endorsed Obama — even though he had lost primaries in the coal-heavy states of Kentucky and West Virginia to Hillary Clinton.

“Senator Obama shares the values of UMWA members and our families,” union president Roberts said in 2008. “He understands and will fight for the needs our members have today and the hopes our members have for a secure future for themselves and their families.”

According to the Associated Press, UMWA was “unanimous in picking Obama for its endorsement.” The union, which at the time represented 105,000 active and retired coal workers in the U.S. and Canada were one of many major unions to throw in with Obama.

“Senator Obama will fight to preserve American jobs, not ship them overseas in greater and greater numbers,” Roberts said in his endorsement. “Senator Obama will make sure that the nation’s mine safety and health enforcement agency actually enforces the law, instead of coddling mine operators who repeatedly and willfully violate the law.”

But while UMWA was enthusiastically supporting Obama, the then-senator was making some very telling statements about his plans for energy policy, in particular what he planned to do with the coal industry.

In an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, he stated his energy plan would “bankrupt” coal plant owners, adding that “electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket,” under his cap-and-trade system.

“So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted,” Obama told the SF Chronicle.

“Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket, regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad, because I’m capping greenhouse gases,” Obama added. “Coal power plants, natural gas, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money onto consumers.”

It wasn’t long after Obama won the 2008 election that Democrats in Congress attempted to push through cap-and-trade — which was defeated in 2010. But the defeat in Congress was made up for by Obama’s regulatory branch — namely, the Environmental Protection Agency.

In late 2009, the EPA made its “endangerment finding” which classified carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases as harmful to human health because they caused global warming when emitted from power plants.

This finding gave the EPA the power it needed to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from coal-fired power plants — a major source of carbon dioxide. The agency began to craft regulations aimed at limiting carbon emissions from power plants and vehicles, as well as other regulations which capped other emissions, like mercury, from coal plants.

As Obama’s first term came to a close, the coal industry began to feel the heat of EPA regulations and was forced to shutter coal mines and power down power plants. This trend was exacerbated by plummeting natural gas prices.

By the 2012 election, the coal industry was blaming President Obama and the EPA for much of their woes as coal mines were shut down and miners laid off. Obama’s so-called “war on coal” had become a major talking point for Republican candidates at all levels.

“Coal is a blessing,” said Josh Mandel, 2012 Republican Senate challenger to Ohio Democratic Sherrod Brown. “There are some who are trying to convince the country that coal is a liability… It’s not a Democratic or Republican issue. It’s an economic issue.”

Republican Mitt Romney, Obama’s 2012 challenger, said during the second presidential debate that people in coal country “grabbed my arms and said, ‘Please save my job.’”

“When the president ran for office, he said if you build a coal plant, you can go ahead, but you’ll go bankrupt,” Romney said.

The EPA’s imposition of onerous regulations on the coal industry caused Obama to lose UMWA’s support. But the union did not wind up backing Romney, despite the Republican’s playing up the “war on coal” issue.

“Governor Romney’s record on coal isn’t any better,” Caputo told the National Journal in 2012, referring to comments made by Romney in 2003 where he said that coal kills people.

“Mitt Romney has never been a friend of our industry,” Caputo added. “Now he’s out preaching he’s all for coal, but his history sure doesn’t show that.”

Even though EPA regulations had lost Obama UMWA’s support in 2012, the president had still done little to tackle global warming — especially after the 2010 defeat of cap-and-trade in Congress.

But the EPA’s 2009 “endangerment finding” set them up for a huge regulatory once Obama began his second term. When he came into his second term Obama also made promises to issue more regulations to tackle global warming, which would inevitably impact the coal industry.

In June 2013, Obama put the full force of his administration behind fighting global warming. In a speech at Georgetown University he promised to use executive orders to regulate greenhouse gas emissions, including ordering the EPA to slap carbon dioxide emissions limits on power plants.

In September 2013, the EPA proposed a rule that would cap carbon emissions from new power plants, effectively banning the construction of new coal-fired power plants unless they installed unproven carbon capture technology.

UMWA was not pleased by this rule, adding to the list of ways the Obama administration was closing its regulatory grip on the coal industry.

“These regulations lay the groundwork for a future of significantly higher electricity bills for American ratepayers, especially those who live in states where a majority of the electricity is generated from coal,” UMWA’s Roberts said about the rule in 2013. “The current low price of natural gas will not last long, especially in a marketplace where it becomes the dominant fuel.”

It was less than a year later that the EPA proposed its second round of carbon emissions limits for power plants, this time on plants that were already in operation. The EPA predicts the rule to cut emissions from existing power plants 30 percent by 2030 would raise electricity prices up to 6.5 percent by 2020 and shutter 19 percent of the U.S. coal-fired capacity while decreasing coal production by 28 percent.

“Coal miners have been asked for 150 years to provide the means to energize America and make our nation the strongest on earth,” Roberts said in a press release following the existing plant rule’s release. “We have always answered that call. We have done what our nation asked of us. But under this rule, our reward is to be kicked to the curb, hopefully out of sight and soon forgotten.”

In the wake of these new rules and with thousands of coal jobs already being cut, UMWA stepped up its activism and heavily opposed the rules. Their most recent protest at the EPA field hearings in Pittsburgh and coal miner testimonies and field hearings in other cities showed just how determined they are to repeal these regulations.

Thousands of coal miners and their families showed up, along with thousands of coal supporters, to protest the agency’s existing power plants rule that would cause more coal jobs to be cut as coal production is reduced and more coal plants are shuttered.

“I think it went extremely well,” Caputo told the Charleston Daily Mail of the Pittsburgh march. “I think we sent a powerful message that these are real people with real jobs. These are folks who are retired with pensions, people who are working, trying to support their families and live a middle-class life and send their kids to college. That’s what’s at stake if this rule goes through as proposed. It could put us all out of work.”

Caputo, Roberts and 13 others were arrested during the march for obstructing the sidewalk. “We were processed and released,” Caputo told the Daily Mail.

What’s become clear to many coal supporters is that Obama is trying to live up to his 2008 promise and “bankrupt” the coal industry.

“Before he was elected in 2008, President Obama warned he would do this when he told the San Francisco Chronicle, ‘if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them,’” West Virginia attorney general Patrick Morrisey told coal supporters at the Pittsburgh rally.

“Well, my fellow attorneys general and I have a response to that: ‘You can try to ignore the law, shut out Congress, violate the Constitution, and destroy the livelihoods of miners and thousands of families, but we will fight you with every fiber of our being.’”

Follow Michael on Twitter and Facebook

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/02/coal-miners-union-in-full-revolt-after-supporting-obama-in-2008/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Coal Miners Union In Full Revolt After Supporting Obama In 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »
Why did the coal mining unions support him in 08..were they not listening to him campaigning on how he was going to destroy the industry?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:29 pm »
I'll repeat what I just posted on another thread.

What I have concluded in the 5 1/2 years of Obama's presidency: elections are too important to be left up to voters.

Offline evadR

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:28:33 pm »
Stupid is as stupid does.
51% of the voting population fell for it.
40% still do.

"A person is smart. The people are stupid, lazy and dangerous"
MiB
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:36:36 pm »
Unfortnately, their "daughters" belong to him.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:05 pm »
They are following the same path unions in Germany  did when they supported Hitler.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:27:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:59:35 pm »
Obama campaigned on a platform that he would wipe out the U.S coal industry.
The U.S. coal industry supported him.

Obama made a speech to Congress in which he said he will no longer recongnize Congress.
All the congressmen cheered with wild applause.

Obama wrote in a book that if it came down to it, he will always 'I will stand with the Muslims'. He wrote that. More than 60% of American Jews voted for a guy named Hussein, all the while arguing that he is not a Muslim. This would be like me being named Chiemy GoldbergHiemySteinjewburg, and then arguing that I am not Jewish.

We are currently living in an idiocracy. Everything in America these days is upsidedown and backwards. People in America are freakin crazy.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:22:41 pm »

The very picture of the modern "useful idiot."

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »

Obama made a speech to Congress in which he said he will no longer recongnize Congress.

Obama wrote in a book that if it came down to it, he will always 'I will stand with the Muslims'. He wrote that. More than 60% of American Jews voted for a guy named Hussein, all the while arguing that he is not a Muslim. This would be like me being named Chiemy GoldbergHiemySteinjewburg, and then arguing that I am not Jewish.

We are currently living in an idiocracy. Everything in America these days is upsidedown and backwards. People in America are freakin crazy.

One of the most brilliant posts I've read in a long, long time. Kudos.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:28:54 pm »
Why did the coal mining unions support him in 08..were they not listening to him campaigning on how he was going to destroy the industry?
They just saw the D next to his name and thought everything will be OK. Kind of like most AFL-CIO unions.

From Wikipedia:

“Although its main focus has always been on workers and their rights, the UMW of today also advocates for better roads, schools, and universal health care.”

The progressive agenda comes before the employees the union represents.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »

Stupid, stupid, stupid. The coal miners deserve every bit of what they're getting.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 07:40:33 pm »

good post.

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:07 pm »

Mike Judge made a prophetic film. Who would have guessed?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
Not exactly. The UMW supported him. Coal mine owners did not. The unions may complain now, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll support the Democrat nominee in 2016, no matter what. They're idiots.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »

I think they just listened to union management, which has a much different agenda and is not particularly interested in actually doing something for the rank and file.  By supporting Democrats union management gets a lot more payola - think the theft of GM from its rightful owners - and they're perfectly willing to sacrifice their rank and file to their own personal profit.

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »
This post is so great that I reformatted it just a tad and posted it on Fb.

WHO AM I ????
I campaigned on a platform that I would wipe out the U.S coal industry.
The U.S. coal industry supported me.
I made a speech to Congress in which I said I will no longer recongnize Congress.
The congressmen cheered with wild applause.
I wrote in a book that if it comes down to it, "I will always stand with the Muslims" More than 60% of American Jews voted for me, all the while arguing that I am not a Muslim.
WHO AM I ???

Here's one of the answers I got"

"The Emperor in Star Wars.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:39 am »
I think they just listened to union management, which has a much different agenda and is not particularly interested in actually doing something for the rank and file.  By supporting Democrats union management gets a lot more payola - think the theft of GM from its rightful owners - and they're perfectly willing to sacrifice their rank and file to their own personal profit.

You're wrong about that.  It isn't just the coal miners who are in open revolt against Democrats.  Union members across the board have had enough of their dues being spent on things that do not benefit them one whit, and they are increasingly letting management hear about it loud and clear.

Of course there are the holdouts.  Longshoremen are a good example out here.  They are unashamedly liberal and bullies besides.