Author Topic: Throw the Book at Him by Maureen Dowd  (Read 2763 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Throw the Book at Him by Maureen Dowd
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:09:25 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/opinion/sunday/maureen-dowd-throw-the-book-at-him.html?rref=opinion&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article

Throw the Book at Him

AUG. 2, 2014

Maureen Dowd

WASHINGTON — I CAN’T wait to read the book W. won’t write.

Not since Beyoncé dropped a new digital album online overnight with no warning or fanfare has there been such a successful pop-up arts project.

Crown Publishers startled everyone Wednesday by announcing that the 68-year-old W. has written a “personal biography” of his 90-year-old father, due out in November.

I guess he ran out of brush to clear.

“Never before has a President told the story of his father, another President, through his own eyes and in his own words,” the Crown news release crowed, noting that W.’s “Decision Points” was the best-selling presidential memoir ever and promising that 43’s portrait of 41 will be “heartfelt, intimate, and illuminating.”

It is certainly illuminating to learn that W. has belatedly decided to bathe his father in filial appreciation.

Like his whimsical paintings and post-presidency discretion, this sweet book will no doubt help reset his image in a more positive way.

But the intriguing question is: Is he doing it with an eye toward spinning the future or out of guilt for the past?

Just as his nude self-portraits are set in a shower and a bath, this book feels like an exercise in washing away the blunders of Iraq, Afghanistan and Katrina.

Are these efforts at self-expression a way to cleanse himself and exorcise the ghosts of all those who died and suffered for no reason? It’s redolent of Lady Macbeth, guilty over regicide and unable to stop rubbing her hands as though she’s washing them, murmuring “Out, damned spot!”

But some spots don’t come out.

I know that George H.W. Bush and his oldest son love each other. But it has been a complicated and difficult relationship and a foolishly and fatefully compartmentalized one.

Even though both Bushes protested that they didn’t want to be put on the couch, historians will spend the rest of history puzzling over the Oedipal push and pull that led America into disasters of such magnitude.

It would be awesome if the book revealed the truth about the fraught relationship between the gracious father and bristly son, if it were titled “Mano a Mano: I Wish I’d Listened to My Dad.”

Because, after all, never in history has a son diminished, disregarded and humiliated a father to such disastrous effect. But W. won’t write any of the real stuff we all want to hear.

The saga began when W. was 26 and drinking. After a rowdy night, the scamp came to his parents’ home in D.C. and smashed his car into a neighbor’s garbage can. His dad upbraided him.

“You wanna go mano a mano right here?” W. shot back to his shocked father.

It was hard, no doubt, to follow the same path as his father, in school, in sport, in war and in work, but always come up short. He also had to deal with the chilly fact that his parents thought Jeb should be president, rather than the raffish Roman candle, W.

Yet W. summoned inner strength and played it smart and upended his family’s expectations, getting to the governor’s mansion and the Oval Office before his younger brother. But the top job sometimes comes with a tape worm of insecurity. Like Lyndon Johnson with hawkish Kennedy aides, W. surrounded himself with the wrong belligerent advisers and allowed himself to be manipulated through his fear of being called a wimp, as his father had been by “Newsweek.”

When he ran for Texas governor in 1994 and president in 2000, W. basically cut his father adrift, instead casting himself as the son and heir of Ronald Reagan, the man who bested his father. “Don’t underestimate what you can learn from a failed presidency,” he told his Texas media strategist about his father.

His White House aides made a point of telling reporters that Junior was tougher than his father, pointedly noting he was from West Texas and knew how to deal with “the streets of Laredo.”

He was driven to get the second term his father had not had. And he was driven — and pushed by Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld — to do what his dad had shied away from, toppling Saddam Hussein. This, even if it meant drumming up a phony casus belli.

He never consulted his dad, even though H.W. was the only president ever to go to war with Saddam. He treated the former president and foreign affairs junkie like a blankie, telling Fox News’s Brit Hume that, rather than advice on issues, he preferred to get phone calls from his dad saying “I love you, son,” or “Hang in there, son.”

And he began yelling when his father’s confidante and co-author, Brent Scowcroft, wrote a Wall Street Journal op-ed piece cautioning that invading Iraq wouldn’t be “a cakewalk” and could be destabilizing to the region and mean “a large-scale, long-term military occupation.”

He never wanted to hear the warning that his father was ready to give, so allergic to being a wimp that he tried, against all odds, history and evidence, to be a deus ex machina. He dissed his father on Iraq, saying “he cut and run early,” and he naïvely allowed himself to be bullied by his dark father, Cheney, who pressed him on Saddam: “Are you going to take care of this guy, or not?”

As Jon Meacham, the historian who is writing a biography of Bush père, wrote in Time a week ago, H.W. was a man who knew that Woodrow Wilson was wrong in thinking that a big war could end all wars.

“The first Bush was closer to the mark when he spoke, usually privately, of how foreign policy was about ‘working the problem,’ not finding grand, all-encompassing solutions to intrinsically messy questions,” Meacham wrote.

So now, symbolically washing his hands, W.’s putting out this cute little disingenuous book about his father that won’t mention that he bollixed up the globe, his presidency, and marred Jeb’s chances, all because he wasn’t listening to his father or “working the problem.”

W.’s fear of being unmanned led to America actually being unmanned. We’re in a crouch now. His rebellion against and competition with Bush senior led directly to President Obama struggling at a news conference Friday on the subject of torture. After 9/11, Obama noted, people were afraid. “We tortured some folks,” he said. “We did some things that were contrary to our values.”

And yet the president stood by his C.I.A. director, John Brennan, a cheerleader for torture during the Bush years, who continues to do things that are contrary to our values.

Obama defended the C.I.A. director even though Brennan blatantly lied to the Senate when he denied that the C.I.A. had hacked into Senate Intelligence Committee computers while staffers were on agency property investigating torture in the W. era. And now the administration, protecting a favorite of the president, is heavily censoring the torture report under the pretense of national security.

The Bushes did not want to be put on the couch, but the thin-skinned Obama jumped on the couch at his news conference, defensively whining about Republicans, Putin, Israel and Hamas and explaining academically and anemically how he’s trying to do the right thing but it’s all beyond his control.

Class is over, professor. Send in the president.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Throw the Book at Him by Maureen Dowd
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 11:19:01 pm »
And yet the president stood by his C.I.A. director, John Brennan, a cheerleader for torture during the Bush years, who continues to do things that are contrary to our values.

Guess what, dear. You can have and hold your values because some people voluntarily give up their rights to obey their values.

Who is this sanctimonious little toad, anyway? I can't be arsed to look it up.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:25:25 pm »
Nothing wrong with MoDo that a good f***in' wouldn't cure, but the problem is finding a volunteer...

:smokin:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:38 pm »
A "tape worm of insecurity"?? What the heck has she been drinking?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline speekinout

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:05 pm »
George W Bush certainly did more than any man in recorded history. The list of things he's "responsible" for is infinite.  :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:33:59 pm »
Nothing wrong with MoDo that a good f***in' wouldn't cure, but the problem is finding a volunteer...

That just told me everything I need to know in one pithy sentence.  :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:46:57 pm »
The arcane Maureen Dowd. Would that I knew what she was talking about.

Maureen Dowd's opinion is must read for the intelligentsia crowd who pretend to understand her.

Barely a single sentence of her hipster exposition makes any sense to me, though. I guess I'm not hip enough.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:49:37 pm »
That just told me everything I need to know in one pithy sentence.  :beer:

Does that mean you're available??  I can make a call......

:whistle:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:56:26 pm »
Does that mean you're available??  I can make a call......

:whistle:

Alas. I wish I could oblige, but I'll be washing my hair for the next 20 years ....  :whistle:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 11:57:44 pm »
The arcane Maureen Dowd. Would that I knew what she was talking about.

Maureen Dowd's opinion is must read for the intelligentsia crowd who pretend to understand her.

Barely a single sentence of her hipster exposition makes any sense to me, though. I guess I'm not hip enough.

Thank you... I'm not alone.  WTF?!?!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:03 am »

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 01:49:48 am »
Bush Derangement Syndrome is alive and well.  However guilty GWB might be, Obama is orders of magnitude more guilty.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 11:56:25 am »
Waiting for MoDo's autobiog "Waitin' On The Vinegar:  My Life As A Dride Up Cunth"
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 01:21:50 pm »
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 01:23:27 pm »
At least Bush waited until after he'd done something before writing a book. Or books. Or having books written for him...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 01:25:15 pm »

:nometalk:

:laugh:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:52:40 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:23 pm »

Politics aside.....there was a day when I'd have hit it.    :laugh:

Maybe doggie but never missionary!  And always, ALWAYS in the dark!  Probably an assumed name too.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 02:52:48 pm »
Okay... this is enough for me. :seeya:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »

A seasoned bartender will always warn you, subtly, about which customers to avoid approaching.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 03:01:57 pm »
But that 'bartender' is/was the owner of the Washington Post...which means his word can't be trusted.  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
Okay....this is getting a little out of hand... :smokin:
Support the USO

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »
Okay....this is getting a little out of hand... :smokin:

How about a man cave?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 08:56:28 pm »
How about a man cave?

Nobody talks like that in my man cave..... :shrug:

why not take it down?