Author Topic: Obamacare for Ebola?  (Read 341 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Obamacare for Ebola?
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Obamacare for Ebola?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
In addition to the almost non-existent sanitation and long term care facilities in third world countries, there is an insatiable demand in Africa and in African communities in other countries for what is known as "bush meat".  Often it is monkey or other primates that carry ebola and that is how a widespread uncontrolled outbreak like the one we are seeing now gets started.

And again, in the past the US led the way in responding to reported outbreaks of ebola to support local efforts to contain the outbreak.  Those limited deaths did not just happen by themselves.  The limiting factor was active and sustained intervention by countries who could afford to do so, like the US and others.  That effort is not happening now.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obamacare for Ebola?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
People like bushmeat, true. Killing a cow is a serious decision - in most of C. & S. Africa cattle are visible signs of wealth and status and are not wasted lightly.

I can see it being an aspect in the chain of infection though, especially the primate aspect. Some viruses are "killed" (in quotes because the court is still out on if viruses are actually alive) by thorough cooking. Ebola is not one of them. Throw in the fact that a hell of a lot of Africans like their meat incredibly rare ....

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf