Author Topic: Cantor to resign from Congress....early  (Read 794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cantor to resign from Congress....early
« on: August 01, 2014, 12:55:31 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/214031-cantor-to-resign-from-congress

By Jessica Taylor - 08/01/14 12:48 AM EDT

Now-former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) will resign from Congress on Aug. 18, nearly two months after his surprise GOP primary defeat.

Cantor announced his plans in an interview with his hometown newspaper, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, the same day he officially stepped down from GOP leadership.

According to Cantor, his decision is timed so that Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) can call a special election to coincide with the regular Nov. 4 general election.

“I want to make sure that the constituents in the 7th District will have a voice in what will be a very consequential lame-duck session,” he told the Times-Dispatch.

Long seen as the Speaker-in-waiting, the 14-year incumbent was dealt a surprising defeat at the hands of Randolph-Macon economics professor Dave Brat (R) on June 10. Cantor has since endorsed Brat, who faces another Randolph-Macon professor, Democrat Jack Trammell, in November in the heavily Republican district.

"I hope he will win," Cantor reiterated in support of Brat.

Earlier Thursday, Cantor bid his colleagues farewell one last time in an emotional speech before he passed the torch to incoming Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).

"This is a privilege of a lifetime," he told a packed House chamber.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: Cantor to resign from Congress....early
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:28:33 pm »
"Na Na Na Na
Na Na Na Na
Hey Hey Hey..."

Seriously, why do they need a special election? Didn't he lose the primary BEFORE the general election?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:34:37 pm »
"Na Na Na Na
Na Na Na Na
Hey Hey Hey..."

Seriously, why do they need a special election? Didn't he lose the primary BEFORE the general election?

He currently holds the seat until January. Now that he's leaving it will be unfilled. The special election will allow the winner to immediately take office.

Cantor's reply: Nah, nah, nah, nah. I'm going to K street, I have a retirement you can only dream of, and I'm going to make more money than I ever could in Congress.. see ya, wouldn't want to be ya!  :tongue2:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »
I'm not surprised he is going to step down early.  I was surprised when he initially said he would serve out his entire term.  This way he puts the
onus on the Gubnor, who now has to come up with a temp who is also willing to run for the office this Fall.

I cannot imagine myself continuing after losing a Primary so spectacularly.  If it had been me, I would have announced my immediate retirement from the House at the conclusion of my concession speech.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:45:24 pm »
If he had any balls, he would chug down a fifth of Jack Daniels and run bare-assed through the Chamber.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:45:49 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:37:10 pm »
And what makes Cantor think that McAuliffe is going to listen to him? Terry is going to do everything he can to either leave that seat vacant or rig the contest so that the Democrat wins, that way the Dem has incumbency heading into the contest with David Brat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:59 pm »
And what makes Cantor think that McAuliffe is going to listen to him? Terry is going to do everything he can to either leave that seat vacant or rig the contest so that the Democrat wins, that way the Dem has incumbency heading into the contest with David Brat.

He doesn't.  It's called payback.  She's a bitch.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »
He doesn't.  It's called payback.  She's a bitch.

Cantor keepin' it classy...   /s

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan