Author Topic: Zaatari Syrian refugee camp fertile ground for small businesses  (Read 450 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Wheelchair-bound Mohamed Harib does not let his infirmity get in the way of a chance for business.

He has joined hundreds of compatriots setting up shops in Zaatari camp, Jordan's largest facility for Syrian refugees.

"I opened the shop to try to support my family because there are eight of us here," Mr Harib said of his tiny mobile phone stall sandwiched along Zaatari's bustling main drag, nicknamed the Champs-Elysees, after the famous Parisian street - a wink at Syrian humour.

The entrepreneurial acumen of Syrians, like Mr Harib, championing their own grassroots businesses have helped to transform the camp of 85,000 into Jordan's fifth biggest city, while turning a profit for many as well.

"Back in Syria, I had a car and a lovely home. We were used to a certain level of income," the businessman explained. "It's different here. I'm living in a caravan and my shop is in one too. We need money to survive."
Syria refugee in Jordan's Zaatari camp closes his shop Recently the businesses staged camp-wide strikes protesting against the Syrian presidential elections

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28541909

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:36:43 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Zaatari Syrian refugee camp fertile ground for small businesses
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:58 pm »

Just thought people might be curious where I lived for those few weeks. Top picture - dead center is the hospital/admin complex. To the immediate right is our compound, which it fenced, then the storage sheds and the motor pool. Top right corner is for incoming for the camp itself.

It's shrunk a bit.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink