Author Topic: Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’  (Read 395 times)

rangerrebew

Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’

By Cheryl K. Chumley

-

The Washington Times

Planned Parenthood officials say “pro-choice” is no longer a label they like, and they’d much prefer if people started talking about the more generic — and less politically charged — issue of “women’s health.”

“[The change] is something that we have been talking about for several years,” Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, told The New York Times. “I just think the ‘pro-choice’ language doesn’t really resonate particularly with a lot of young women voters. We’re really trying to focus on, what are the real things you’re going to lose? Sometimes that’s rights. Sometimes that’s economic or access to health care for you or for your kids.”

Pro-choice become popular in the wake of the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, because it succinctly countered the pro-life tag used by those who opposed the procedure. But around 2010, Planned Parenthood said the label started falling on deaf ears of younger women.

“The labels we’ve always used about pro-choice and pro-life — they’re outdated, and they don’t mean anything,” said Janet Colm, 62, the president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund of Central North Carolina, in The New York Times. “I used to be a one-issue voter [pro-choice], but I think most younger people today aren’t.”

It’s still not clear what phrase could comfortably substitute for the pithy “pro-choice.” But some activists have been slinging about “women’s health” and “economic security” while talking about Planned Parenthood policy.

“You just have to take more words,” said Dawn Laguens, the executive vice president of the political advocacy unit of Planned Parenthood, speaking of the need of a broader group message, The New York Times reported.

Meanwhile, those opposed to abortion — the “pro-life” crowd — have picked up on Planned Parenthood’s attempt to change the message. And they’re seeing that switch as something to cheer.

“I find it very encouraging that they find that after 40 years they have to do something different because they know it’s not working,” said Carol Tobias, the president of the National Right to Life Committee, the New York Post reported.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/31/planned-parenthood-strikes-pro-choice-label-in-fav/#ixzz393FeLUjD
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline aligncare

Women's health ... unless you're an aborted females.

Offline musiclady

Leftists always lie and change their terminology to get the brain dead masses to fall for their evil designs.

Murder became "choice" and now choice is too political so it becomes "women's health."

They never stood for choice, and they certainly don't protect women's health.

They are pathological liars whose only goal is to kill innocent children.

And no change in rhetoric will ever disguise the truth.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Or a woman having an abortion in a facility that PP has made sure has no medical safeguards.

Funny how the left ignores both worldwide femicide and the lifelong damage, physically and emotionally to millions of women.

You think maybe they don't really care about women at all?? 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

It drips with irony,doesn't it?  Abortion is "women's health" but more than half of all aborted fetuses are female.  George Orwell could not have used the term because it defies credulity, but in 21st century America no  one questions, including Republicans who cower at the charge of engaging in a "war on women."

Offline Saundra Duffy

• For victory & freedom!!!
    • SOS Salt Lake City
Planned Parenthood getting away with murder year after year after year.  A mob of monsters!  It's just part of the ruination of America.  Looks like nothing short of Jesus' return will stop this nightmare.
For victory & Freedom!!!