Author Topic: Enlisted Women to Join Sub Crews Starting in 2016  (Read 501 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Enlisted Women to Join Sub Crews Starting in 2016
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:03 pm »
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/07/28/enlisted-women-to-join-sub-crews-starting-in-2016.html?ESRC=navy.nl

The Day | Jul 28, 2014 | by Johanna Somers

The Department of the Navy plans to add enlisted women crewmembers to seven Ohio-class submarines starting in 2016 and to four Virginia-class attack submarines beginning in 2020.

"I think this is just the next step in a process that started a number of years ago to tap into a talented part of the Navy to help run very sophisticated vessels, and to me that's a real huge advantage that the Navy is capitalizing on," said U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney, D-2nd District.

"... Women sailors do a great job on surface ships. They have been doing it for a long time, and obviously, with good planning and accommodation, I think the submarine force stands to gain from having women serve in the enlisted rank as well."

The Navy's most recent integration plan was given to Congress on July 18 and likely won't be released to the general public until the end of the year because Congress must have 30 days of continuous session -- days when both chambers are in session -- to review the plan.

In a letter to Vice President Joe Biden, the Department of Defense explains its intention to modify seven Ohio-class submarines and build Virginia-class submarines to meet "habitability requirements" for crews comprising men and women.

Courtney said the costs of providing separate sleeping quarters for women and adding lavatory signs are minimal compared to shipbuilding costs in general. "This plan does not affect the existing Los Angeles-class submarines," he said. "If they had to modify that, that would cost money because they weren't built for gender class separation. But the Ohio-class subs were so big that it really wasn't that difficult to set up sleeping quarters for women only and make sure lavatories have proper signage."

Building the new Virginia-class attack submarines to accommodate women's quarters shouldn't require large design or construction changes, Courtney added.

The integration plan calls for women to make up 20 percent of the enlisted crew of submarines on which female officers are already serving. More than 60 women officers are serving on 14 ballistic-missile and guided-missile submarine crews.

Female officers began integrating into the submarine force in 2011 after the Navy lifted its ban on women serving aboard submarines in 2010. Female officers will be arriving at the Naval Submarine Base in Groton by January 2015 to join the crews of the attack submarines USS Virginia (SSN 774) and the USS Minnesota (SSN 783).

The USS Michigan (SSGN 727) is the first submarine that enlisted women would report to in 2016, according to integration plan. Women would be able to serve in all job positions on submarines formerly closed to enlisted women.

Opportunities for enlisted women are changing because in 2013 the DoD retracted the 1994 Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule, which excluded women from being assigned "to units below the brigade level whose primary mission was to engage in direct combat on the ground."

"The Navy, we are very excited to roll out this plan because we believe, and again we have been very persistent about this, that there are very capable women who have the talent and desire to succeed in the submarine force," said Timothy Hawkins, a spokesman for Submarine Group 2. "Drawing from this talent helps us maintain the world's best force."

The integration plan released to Congress is the result of a 60-person task force led by Rear Adm. Kenneth M. Perry. The panel met for a little more than a year and reviewed questions such as how many enlisted women are interested in serving aboard submarines and what modification would be required.

"The Navy looks forward to publicly releasing details of the plan once the congressional notification process is complete," Hawkins said
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: Enlisted Women to Join Sub Crews Starting in 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:01:37 am »
This could add new meaning to the phrase "hot rack".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:11:01 am »
I do not think these Liberal geniuses understand basic human physiology.

Women, since before 3000 years ago, have always been considered 'bad luck' on a ship. There is a reason for that.

On a long deployment, just having a woman/female walk by me, would make me crazy. Just the smell and the boobs would drive me out of my mind.

If they think they are trying to 'train' me or 'change' me, I am very much sure that will never happen.

These guys need to review the song, '15 men on a dead man's chest, yo ho ho an a bottle of rum'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcv5TJkJBA

This 'political correct' bullshit will eventually burn itself out, just evolutionary. Because it is so stupid and counter intuative, and counter reality.

But until then, I guess we have to all agree with the freaking hippies, until they all kill themselves, or until they get us all killed.

Way hay and up she rises, is no joke. The ocean does not know or respect "political correctness".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:07:50 am »
I can see it on base. We do it, and it works reasonably well. Not perfectly, of course, but reasonably. No means no gets rather rigorously enforced.

On a sub though? Never been on one, but that close a quarters for months at a time? Recipe for disaster. Base works because you can take a walk. Go out, smell the dust, and cool down a bit. Can't do that 100 feet down.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink