Author Topic: Mitt Romney was right about everything in 2012. So why not Romney 2016?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100281944/mitt-romney-was-right-about-everything-in-2012-so-why-not-romney-2016/

Mitt Romney was right about everything in 2012. So why not Romney 2016?

By Tim Stanley US politics Last updated: July 30th, 2014

Will Mitt Romney please adopt me? The Romster has been blogging about a fantastic vacation he’s taken his grandchildren on across the southwest (go there before the barbarians cover it in cable cars) and it sounds much nicer than the holidays I took as a kid. “All totaled, we hiked over 50 miles,” he writes. “Quite a feat for the young — and for Ann and me.” Boy, I’d love to tag along with them. On a Segway, natch.

It sounds as though Romney has given up all thoughts of running again in 2016, as he keeps telling us. But is he right to throw away a third bid so easily? Critics may laugh at the thought of “Romney 2016: the Last Stand” and journalists may cringe at the potential boredom. Yet it’s not such a dumb idea.

After all, the polls show that Romney would currently win a rematch with Obama – and do so comfortably. CNN/ORC International gives him a 53 to 44 per cent advantage. Men, women, white voters and everyone over 35 now prefer Mitt to the President. Only the young, non-whites and people in a coma back the White House. Admittedly, the same poll says that Romney would lose by 13 points to Hillary Clinton, which suggests that voters are less experiencing Mittmania than they are feeling buyer’s remorse. I’ll come back to that point in a moment, but for now let’s consider Romney’s advantage over Obama.

Almost everything that Romney warned us about Obama in 2012 has proven to be true. For example:

1. Romney said that Russia was a serious strategic threat to the US. The administration not only disagreed, it laughed the idea down. Now, it’s Putin who is laughing. Ukraine is in crisis, a passenger plane has been downed and America’s leadership is in question. Putin also put the kibosh on tackling Syria: so his reach extends well beyond the old USSR.

2. Romney said that Obamacare would be hard to implement and it sure was. The website barely functioned and the pledge that people could keep their own plans turned out to be a lie. There’s strong evidence that Obamacare has helped to insure the previously uninsurable, but the cost to business is yet to be seen. Also, it has created a whole new culture war struggle over the provision of contraception. Sandra Fluke’s campaign for free love was not an outlier but a vision of the future.

3. Romney said that Obama would struggle to work with Congress. Since 2012 we have had a round of fiscal standoffs and a humiliating shutdown of the federal government. Now there is wild talk of impeachment, while the President retreats to the golf course.

4. Romney took a strong stance on illegal immigration that might have seemed harsh or even irrelevant in 2012. Now US towns are besieged by a surge of children crossing the border – a humanitarian tragedy that is sorely testing the conscience of America. One poll found that almost half of Americans blame Obama’s policies for the problem, either because they have confused matters or because his rhetoric has encouraged more and more migration.

Of course, some of us also suspect Romney was right on Benghazi. Whether or not this will proved remains to be seen – but it is an issue that could haunt Clinton in 2016.

In short, Romney has a powerful narrative to spin here: “I was right back then, so maybe you should listen to me now.” And, if he ran in two years’ time, he’d be following in the footsteps of other great Republicans who have tried and tried again until the voters finally embraced them, including Nixon and Reagan. The big problem facing him would be that most voters probably don’t want 2016 to be a referendum on Obama but instead a vote for something fresh. And, at present, Clinton dominates the field thanks to her status as a global diplomat and the enthusiasm felt for her by women and minorities.

So, yeah, Romney in 2016 probably isn’t going to happen. But in a parallel dimension, the American people would give him another chance for the quality of his predictions alone. Then he could use his squillions of dollars to take us all on vacation to the great southwest.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Mitt Romney was right about everything in 2012. So why not Romney 2016?

Because elections aren't about choosing the candidate who's 'right'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Romney has "gravitas," and being right adds to his appeal.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

Because elections aren't about choosing the candidate who's 'right'...

Romney would have been such an upgrade over Obama it's hard to put into words. However, I question Romney's fire. I think he felt compelled to run, but he didn't have the desire to be president one would expect from a candidate. It could be argued that too much of a desire to attain office is a bad thing too, so on this point, I would give ground. Romney's second problem is that in the American Idol culture we now have, Romney is a Republican loser. I'm not sure that can be overcome.

I like Romney, I think he's a good man. I tried to convince anyone who would listen to vote for Romney, (something I didn't do with McCain). I'm a realist, I know that Romney has positions that would have grinded my gears, but as I said, compared to Obama, Romney is Ronald Reagan, George Washington, and Abe Lincoln rolled into one man.

Offline GourmetDan

I like Romney, I think he's a good man. I tried to convince anyone who would listen to vote for Romney, (something I didn't do with McCain). I'm a realist, I know that Romney has positions that would have grinded my gears, but as I said, compared to Obama, Romney is Ronald Reagan, George Washington, and Abe Lincoln rolled into one man.

Sure, but you're just arguing a different form of 'Romney was right'.

Elections are about media propaganda being controlled to produce the result our masters desire, nothing more...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline MACVSOG68

Romney would have been such an upgrade over Obama it's hard to put into words. However, I question Romney's fire. I think he felt compelled to run, but he didn't have the desire to be president one would expect from a candidate. It could be argued that too much of a desire to attain office is a bad thing too, so on this point, I would give ground. Romney's second problem is that in the American Idol culture we now have, Romney is a Republican loser. I'm not sure that can be overcome.

Well said.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Oceander

Well said.

I second that.

Offline truth_seeker

Sure, but you're just arguing a different form of 'Romney was right'.

Elections are about media propaganda being controlled to produce the result our masters desire, nothing more...

List of "our masters' names?

Offline aligncare

I don't see anyone in the Republican bullpen who can top Romney's experience as a manager (or hard worker) -- and heaven knows we need one in the oval office now more than ever.

There are other potential candidates whose political philosophy is more in line with mine. But the last 5-1/2 years suffering a lazy, incompetent president should scare us all into choosing a candidate with a proven track record behind him, not just lofty rhetoric. In other words: no 1-term senators.

Offline GourmetDan

But the last 5-1/2 years suffering a lazy, incompetent president should scare us all into choosing a candidate with a proven track record behind him...

It won't.  The media will deliver the appropriate propaganda and the chosen one will be elected.

Somehow people need to be disabused of the notion that 'the right thing' will eventually happen if we only try harder...

Offline truth_seeker

I don't see anyone in the Republican bullpen who can top Romney's experience as a manager (or hard worker) -- and heaven knows we need one in the oval office now more than ever.

There are other potential candidates whose political philosophy is more in line with mine. But the last 5-1/2 years suffering a lazy, incompetent president should scare us all into choosing a candidate with a proven track record behind him, not just lofty rhetoric. In other words: no 1-term senators.
How about 1/2 term governors?

Online Lando Lincoln

Yes.  Well said. 

During the primaries, I had a difficult time coming around to Romney.  But, I did.  I remember aligncare steadfastly trying to convince us (me) about Romney.  Indeed, I came to know him as a good man.  In fact, I came to feel he was the right man.  That, despite the fact I knew he would "grind my gears" from time to time.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

How about 1/2 term governors?

Absolutely a non-starter.  The unequivocal, quintessential non-starter.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

Absolutely a non-starter.  The unequivocal, quintessential non-starter.
Not even a gorgeous, edgy, ambitious one? A follower of the Pat Buchanan career path paradigm?

"It is about principle." The principle is standing to reap a lifelong reward, played wisely.

How about a Senator that loses their own state, like Santorum?

I'd like to see a movement telling those types to STFU and stay out period.

Offline speekinout

I could definitely support a Romney campaign in 2016. The way I thought of him in 2012 was as "quiet competence". He's not too good at theatrics, but he did well in business, as Governor of MA (a GOPer in a deep blue state), and he managed to bail out the Salt Lake Olympics. All very challenging jobs.
And it helps that so much of what he said in 2012 was accurate, even though he was sniffed at for his opinions.

But too many American voters use the same criteria for presidential candidates that they do for Miss America or American Idol. My choices for those contests never do too well, either.  **nononono*

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I like Romney. He is a good man. He shot for the moon twice and missed, but I want to see him in the next cabinet.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

As much I liked Romney in 08 and 12, I want someone new in 16.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ Mitt Romney was right about everything in 2012. So why not Romney 2016? ]]

Because Mitt Romney won't be running against Obama in 2016.

He'll be back running against himself, just like last time...