Author Topic: Boehner rules out impeachment: ‘Scam started by Democrats’  (Read 2272 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/29/boehner-rules-out-impeachment/print/

By Stephen Dinan

-

The Washington Times

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Talk of impeachment was cooked up by a White House desperate for something to rally Democrats ahead of November's elections, House Speaker John A. Boehner said Tuesday, flatly ruling out any action on the controversial suggestion.

"We have no plans to impeach the president. We have no future plans," Mr. Beohner said. "Listen, it's all a scam started by Democrats at the White House."

Democrats have acknowledged impeachment talk has been good for their fundraising, but also say there's some fire behind all the smoke. On Tuesday, congressional Democrats circulated a list of GOP candidates and sitting lawmakers who have said they want to see President Obama be impeached.

Some conservative commenters have said impeachment is the right step, given the way Mr. Obama has chosen to enforce or not enforce laws written by Congress.

But Republican leaders have tried to squelch the talk, saying they are focused on pursuing their lawsuit against Mr. Obama for overreaching his powers, and want to pass legislation on boosting job creation.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Boehner rules out impeachment: ‘Scam started by Democrats’
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:00:30 pm »
For once I agree with him.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »
Lawsuit? So that's what separation of powers mean? That when Congressional leadership is too timid to use their constitutional powers to fight back a lawless president, they take him to court? My, what towering GOPe statesmanship on display. I'm sure Obama's quaking in his golf shoes.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:27:14 pm »
You want them to impeach?  That's dumb, you know.  It would assure the Dems keep the Senate.

And don't give me any of this Sarah-Palinized "principle" garbage.  Impeachment is not judicial; it's political.  And Obama cannot be convicted no matter what Palin in her delusion thinks, and it would generate a political disaster for the Republicans.

Reminds me of the silly government shutdown in October. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:28:02 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:36:41 pm »
Lawsuit? Impeachment?? Heck, no. Leadership should be engaged in using article I powers, the power of the purse, to stop Obamas lawlessness.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:41:00 pm »
You want them to impeach?  That's dumb, you know.  It would assure the Dems keep the Senate.

And don't give me any of this Sarah-Palinized "principle" garbage.  Impeachment is not judicial; it's political.  And Obama cannot be convicted no matter what Palin in her delusion thinks, and it would generate a political disaster for the Republicans.

Reminds me of the silly government shutdown in October. 

Since I share Palin's delusion, let me say this. Realpolitik is going to DESTROY this country. If you believe 'nothing to see here', why is 'Boo Hoo' suing? What's the basis for the argument? If Obama is exceeding his powers [I assume the basis for the action], the remedy is impeachment. If Boehner and the GOPe won't exercise that option, because "We don't want to energize the Dim base", and we can see gains, yada, yada, yada; they're not fulfilling THEIR Constitutional duties. And those duties are, I would remind them upholding the Constitution - not the latest Gallup Poll.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:43:22 pm »
Lawsuit? Impeachment?? Heck, no. Leadership should be engaged in using article I powers, the power of the purse, to stop Obamas lawlessness.

You mean like a govt shutdown?  It took Obamacare being an absolute debacle for the GOP to recover from that foolish stunt.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:50:38 pm »
Yes. Shut. Government. Down. Power of the purse. That's a legitimate constitutional power. Congress suing the president? That is not a legitimate tactic for Congress to take. Impeaching the first black president? A PR nightmare, as most of us Rubes know.

Offline Carling

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »
Yes. Shut. Government. Down. Power of the purse. That's a legitimate constitutional power. Congress suing the president? That is not a legitimate tactic for Congress to take. Impeaching the first black president? A PR nightmare, as most of us Rubes know.

Why not?  If the only option is shutdown, the GOP may as well disband.  Although, being the Stupid Party, I can see us doing something idiotic like shutting down the govt and yet again snatching defeat from the jaws of electoral victory.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:32:28 pm by Carling »

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »
Since I share Palin's delusion, let me say this. Realpolitik is going to DESTROY this country. If you believe 'nothing to see here', why is 'Boo Hoo' suing? What's the basis for the argument? If Obama is exceeding his powers [I assume the basis for the action], the remedy is impeachment. If Boehner and the GOPe won't exercise that option, because "We don't want to energize the Dim base", and we can see gains, yada, yada, yada; they're not fulfilling THEIR Constitutional duties. And those duties are, I would remind them upholding the Constitution - not the latest Gallup Poll.

Does the Constitution say that impeachment is the only means to settle a dispute between Congress and the President?  No.

Does exercising undue executive discretion in enforcement of the laws constitute a "high crime or misdemeanor"?  Very, very doubtful.

Then suing the President is a perfectly acceptable means, short of impeachment, to resolve a dispute between the legislative and executive branches, and is the only avenue if no "high crime or misdemeanor" is involved.

Reality is reality, no matter how ugly and upsetting it might be.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:59:50 pm by Oceander »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 01:42:34 am »
PzLdr wrote above:
[[ If Obama is exceeding his powers [I assume the basis for the action], the remedy is impeachment. If Boehner and the GOPe won't exercise that option, because "We don't want to energize the Dim base", and we can see gains, yada, yada, yada; they're not fulfilling THEIR Constitutional duties. ]]

Gee, finally, someone who agrees with me in this forum.

John Boehner "suing" the president to get him to enforce the laws and obey the Constitution is tantamount to a police officer writing out a verbal warning to a murderer.

Again, the quote from Winston Churchill:
“Sometimes doing your best is not good enough. Sometimes you must do what is required.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 01:50:29 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ Congress suing the president? That is not a legitimate tactic for Congress to take. Impeaching the first black president? A PR nightmare, as most of us Rubes know. ]]

Is all that matters now -- "PR"?
What's the use of voting for Republicans, if all they're gonna do is try to puff up their PR?

All Boehner has done with this nonsense is signal to Obama that he has the green light to do whatever he wishes via edict and executive order. No one is going to stop him because there is only one sanction provided by the Constitution by which to stop him, and the Republicans seem to be saying that they will not use it, will never use it.

BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A PR NIGHTMARE
(shouting intentional).

Has it really come to this?

What are the Pubbies gonna do next?
Run up a white flag, just so there can be no doubt?

I'm supposed to VOTE for these people, come November?

Why?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:19:08 am »
PzLdr wrote above:
[[ If Obama is exceeding his powers [I assume the basis for the action], the remedy is impeachment. If Boehner and the GOPe won't exercise that option, because "We don't want to energize the Dim base", and we can see gains, yada, yada, yada; they're not fulfilling THEIR Constitutional duties. ]]

Gee, finally, someone who agrees with me in this forum.

John Boehner "suing" the president to get him to enforce the laws and obey the Constitution is tantamount to a police officer writing out a verbal warning to a murderer.

“Sometimes doing your best is not good enough. Sometimes you must do what is required.”

I'm with you as well, recall: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,143429.msg583845.html#msg583845

In which I used this Churchill quote:

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:23:21 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ Congress suing the president? That is not a legitimate tactic for Congress to take. Impeaching the first black president? A PR nightmare, as most of us Rubes know. ]]

Is all that matters now -- "PR"?
What's the use of voting for Republicans, if all they're gonna do is try to puff up their PR?

All Boehner has done with this nonsense is signal to Obama that he has the green light to do whatever he wishes via edict and executive order. No one is going to stop him because there is only one sanction provided by the Constitution by which to stop him, and the Republicans seem to be saying that they will not use it, will never use it.

BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A PR NIGHTMARE
(shouting intentional).

Has it really come to this?

What are the Pubbies gonna do next?
Run up a white flag, just so there can be no doubt?

I'm supposed to VOTE for these people, come November?

Why?

You are totally correct, the Republicans have been cowed into basically telling him that he has carte blanche at this point, nothing will be done.

The conventional wisdom is that taking the Senate in November will allow them to somehow "stop him."  IMO, it is whistling past the graveyard at this point.  (As there is nothing that they will be able to do legislatively to halt any of it.  And of course, even with the Senate, the "i" word will still be off the table, because... well, you know.....  2016......)

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:49 am »
Well, this site is drifting toward being exactly like FR was a few years ago.   :shrug:

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 03:29:43 am »
Well, this site is drifting toward being exactly like FR was a few years ago.   :shrug:

:facepalm2:

how so?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:31:02 am by Oceander »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 03:30:20 am »

It is a political exercise. Impeachment.  If one cannot WIN that exercise, it is best not take it up.  Especially since impeachment would guarantee Democrats keep the Senate.

You'd rather lose every fight and stand on your silly "principle."

Offline speekinout

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:31:01 am »

I agree. How sad.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 03:33:28 am »
You are totally correct, the Republicans have been cowed into basically telling him that he has carte blanche at this point, nothing will be done.

The conventional wisdom is that taking the Senate in November will allow them to somehow "stop him."  IMO, it is whistling past the graveyard at this point.  (As there is nothing that they will be able to do legislatively to halt any of it.  And of course, even with the Senate, the "i" word will still be off the table, because... well, you know.....  2016......)

No President will be impeached and convicted outside of a bipartisan effort.  No Democrat will vote to impeach or convict Obama.

Thus, it is a waste of time to even try.  The best thing we can do is VOTE DEMOCRATS OUT OF OFFICE!!!!

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 03:34:19 am »
No President will be impeached and convicted outside of a bipartisan effort.  No Democrat will vote to impeach or convict Obama.

Thus, it is a waste of time to even try.  The best thing we can do is VOTE DEMOCRATS OUT OF OFFICE!!!!

Exactly.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:02 am »
It is a political exercise. Impeachment.  If one cannot WIN that exercise, it is best not take it up.  Especially since impeachment would guarantee Democrats keep the Senate.

You'd rather lose every fight and stand on your silly "principle."

Most governmental processes are 'political exercises'. So your calculus is if you can't win, don't try. Glad Leonidas didn't have you for an advisor. And, yeah, I'd rather lose for a 'silly' principle [the rule of law], than win with no principles at all.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:01 am »
Most governmental processes are 'political exercises'. So your calculus is if you can't win, don't try. Glad Leonidas didn't have you for an advisor. And, yeah, I'd rather lose for a 'silly' principle [the rule of law], than win with no principles at all.

A realist might  say that if you don't have what you to believe to be a winning hand, you fold and wait for the next pot, and hopefully are dealt a more likely winning hand in order to use your capital.   :pondering:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:33:57 am by Carling »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 07:25:51 am »

I agree. How sad.

I'm not seeing that.  Where are the Zots and Kittie Brigades.  Where are the fools gloating that a voice was silenced?  Where are the contributors who shrug their shoulders and OPUS out?

What I see is a lot of stupid people certain they are right about everything.  and yes I'm talking about myself too.  I can't believe you guys have not banned me already with my GOPe apologist spiel and my Rah Rah Rah RINO cheerleading.   This place is nothing like FR.
If it was, a lot of both(speekinout and Carling) your usually brilliant and thoughtful analysis would read [Comment #15 Removed by Moderator]

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 07:33:21 am »

How did that work out in Gallipoli?

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 07:47:57 am »
A realist might  say that if you don't have what you to believe to be a winning hand, you fold and wait for the next pot, and hopefully are dealt a more likely winning hand in order to use your capital.   :pondering:
That is an excellent analogy.  Another analogy for politics is war.  In war rational people want to pick the battles they can win and stall or retreat from battles they can't win.