Author Topic: From the symptoms of a common cold to bleeding out the ears and eyes: What happens when you are infected with the Ebola virus?  (Read 644 times)

Offline wolfcreek

Re: Family of Texas doctor with Ebola not showing signs of virus
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
Given this disease is spread by close contact, has an incubation period of up to 21 days and can be spread sexually by men up to 2 months after symptoms disappear, I'm not real happy about these folks being back here in Texas.

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2709686/From-symptoms-common-cold-bleeding-ears-eyes-What-happens-infected-Ebola-virus.html

You have a temperature and no appetite. Your head is aching and you're throat is sore.

It may appear as though a common cold is lurking, but unbeknownst to you the vicious Ebola virus has started to attack your immune system.

The virus destroys the same cells as those targeted by HIV, though the Ebola infection is more aggressive, wiping out the building blocks of the body's immune system.

It has an incubation period - that is the time from infection to when the first symptoms present themselves - of between two and 21 days, increasing the risk of the highly-infectious illness spreading.

Offline flowers

This article says Ebola was discovered in 1976. does anyone here know how that happened?

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
This article says Ebola was discovered in 1976. does anyone here know how that happened?
Looking through a microscope, into a petrie dish?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork

Check the wikipedia article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
I am guessing this will be a paid time off? What about all the hotel workers  and other workers in that area, do they get a warning to take time off? 

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »
Wha- a-a-a-?  This is scaremongering, pure and simple.  It's also intensely racist and disrespectful to the African leaders who will be there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:36:18 AM by Oceander »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork

Offline flowers

did it satisfy your curiousity?
Not really. wiki says it first started in 1976, still i fail to see how it was started? maybe a animal carcass?

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Not really. wiki says it first started in 1976, still i fail to see how it was started? maybe a animal carcass?

It doesn't say that it started in 1976, it says that it was first identified in 1976.  It's probably a virus that developed in animals and then jumped to humans at that time.  There are a lot of diseases that moved from animals to humans.  There's a partial list of them here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis#Partial_list_of_zoonoses

Offline flowers

It doesn't say that it started in 1976, it says that it was first identified in 1976.  It's probably a virus that developed in animals and then jumped to humans at that time.  There are a lot of diseases that moved from animals to humans.  There's a partial list of them here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis#Partial_list_of_zoonoses
Thanks  for link. That is a long list for it just being a partial list. 

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Thanks  for link. That is a long list for it just being a partial list. 

I agree.  It's interesting how long it is, though.  One wonders how long the list is for diseases going the other way.

Offline flowers

I agree.  It's interesting how long it is, though.  One wonders how long the list is for diseases going the other way.
never thought about that, diseases going the other way. i wouldn't think there are many of them, then again?

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
never thought about that, diseases going the other way. i wouldn't think there are many of them, then again?

I know.

Offline olde north church

When the guys are finished they generally kill the animal then eat it.  Removes the evidence.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf