Author Topic: Islamic State evicts Iraq farmers  (Read 349 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Islamic State evicts Iraq farmers
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:52:19 am »
Qaraqosh, Iraq - In the dark of night, on a farm about 30km southeast of Iraq's second largest city, Mosul, Sabah Zura Sukkariyya woke to the sound of a truckload of gunmen arriving on his property.

It was late June and the air was stagnant, still hot from the blistering sun earlier in the day. "They didn't talk to me or my family. They didn't tell us anything, they just took over my farm," the balding man with a thick moustache told Al Jazeera.
Check out our complete coverage of the crisis in Iraq

"It was Daesh [the Islamic State group]," Sukkariyya recalled. "They stayed on my farm and ate our food and everything we had. They hit my kids and the rest of my family. They took everything from my warehouse and took it to other Islamic State members."

Sukkariyya didn't know what to do. The Islamic State group, which had captured the city of Mosul on June 10, was now on his farm and the family had nowhere to flee. After being forced to stay there for a few days, the family was finally able to leave when the fighters guarding them were in-between shifts.

"I fled with my wife and children and we hurried into town. We walked 5 kilometres at sunset in 50C heat," he said.

Read more: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/07/islamic-state-evicts-iraq-farmers-2014728111016983465.html

Bad move. Really bad move. I admire most of the people there, but my God, they are intensely territorial. Don't matter if they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish - you touch their land at the risk of your life.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink