Author Topic: US fuming over Israeli criticism of Kerry  (Read 799 times)

Offline flowers

US fuming over Israeli criticism of Kerry
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:10:17 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/us-fuming-over-israeli-criticism-kerry-154747943--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration pushed back strongly Monday at a torrent of Israeli criticism over Secretary of State John Kerry's latest bid to secure a cease-fire with Hamas, accusing some in Israel of launching a "misinformation campaign" against the top American diplomat.

"It's simply not the way partners and allies treat each other," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

Her comments were echoed by the White House, where officials said they were disappointed by Israeli reports that cast Kerry's efforts to negotiate a cease-fire as more favorable to Hamas.

"Israel has no better friend, no stronger defender than John Kerry," said Tony Blinken, President Barack Obama's deputy national security adviser. He said the criticism of Kerry was based on "people leaking things that are either misinformed or attempting to misinform."

The coordinated pushback came amid growing U.S. frustration with the number of Palestinian civilian casualties as Israel wages an air and ground war in the Gaza Strip. Obama and Kerry have been pressing Israel to accept an immediate and unconditional humanitarian cease-fire.

The U.S. has made little progress in achieving that objective. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a televised speech Monday that his country must be ready for "a prolonged campaign" against Hamas in Gaza.

Offline flowers

Re: US fuming over Israeli criticism of Kerry
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:23 pm »
It's simply not the way partners and allies treat each other

EXACTLY!

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:20:29 pm »
AP should read its own comment section. not many fuming at all at the Israelis.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »
a torrent of Israeli criticism over Secretary of State John Kerry's latest bid to secure a cease-fire with Hamas

Israel has always been a very temperamental "ally".  Always. 

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:26:48 pm »
Israel has always been a very temperamental "ally".  Always. 

the criticism is more than well-deserved.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »
the criticism is more than well-deserved.

No it's not.  We're supporting the destruction of the tunnels and the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.

I'd like to see Israel learn how to play nice ... especially with her chief bank and benefactor.

Just saying.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:58 pm »
No it's not.  We're supporting the destruction of the tunnels and the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.

I'd like to see Israel learn how to play nice ... especially with her chief bank and benefactor.

Just saying.

Do the Israelis tend to over react slightly? Hell yes. Not exactly going to blame them though - they have plenty of reasons to not only put their foot down but put it down hard. The international peace keeping force in Gaza is more of a joke than anything else, since it's made up of underfunded, poorly equipped units from minor nations. For some reason - 240B probably knows why, I never knew - none of the nations on the UN security council can provide troops for either Gaza or the West Bank.

But as for playing nice - they have been. Warning residents before taking out targets, at substantial risk to themselves. As far as possible, they have been fighting an ethical war.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:53:14 pm »
Yet another example of how the Obama Administration views the world as Obama wants it to be, as if his words alone should be enough and not actual deeds, instead of recognizing what is actually going on.

John Fing Kerry has rendered himself irrelevant in the entire Middle East.  He always has been, but for 18 months the World has respected the Office and tried desperately to overlook the buffoon in it.  No longer.  Kerry no longer has any credibility and neither does Obama.  That will not stop them from continuing to pretend things are otherwise.

Most people simple do not appreciate just how dangerous this makes every hotspot in the World.  This embarrassing three ring circus will continue until the wheels come completely off the bus.  Let us hope there are pieces left to pick up....

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »

But as for playing nice - they have been. Warning residents before taking out targets, at substantial risk to themselves. As far as possible, they have been fighting an ethical war.

I'm going to withhold an opinion on this for the time being. 

It seems Israel warning Palestinians could be Israel fighting an ethical war.  Or the warnings could be moot...and the Israelis could know it because there is nowhere for the Palestinians to run to to be safe.  Yet, Israel continues to use the civilian deaths after the grandiose warning of imminent missiles/bombs as further proof that Hamas/Palestinians just want "telegenic" dead children.

I'm not sure, but this whole "warning" thing may turn out to be one of the most remarkable public relations maneuvers in the history of warfare. 

I'm just not sure.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:02 pm »
Israel can do no wrong in my eyes.

They should give the Palestinians 72 hours to get out and they should level it.  Bulldoze it  The entire Gaza. 

And then they should drop them off on the Jordanian border...where they actually belong.

Just how perilous is Israel's situation?   The effing UN Security Council is showing anti-Semitic behavior.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:22 pm »
I could be being reflexively defensive - I do have both family and friends in Israel. That I will not apologize for. I'm a protective sort.

I detest Hamas, passionately. They are cowards and scum who use kids as shields - which makes them fair game as far as I am concerned. Don't hurt kids. It's not rule one, but it's in the top 5.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:41:31 pm »
Israel can do no wrong in my eyes.

My exact feelings as well.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:50:08 am »
DC Patriot wrote above:
[[ They should give the Palestinians 72 hours to get out and they should level it.  Bulldoze it  The entire Gaza. ]]

In complete agreement.

They should do the same with the West Bank -- literally drive every Palestinian out of it and across the border.

Then build a 40-foot-high wall around all their borders.

That's the way "cities" were protected in Old Testament times.
So it should be, again.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:55 am »
http://www.gopusa.com/news/2014/07/28/obama-admin-threatens-israel-over-criticism-of-kerry/?subscriber=1

Obama admin threatens Israel over criticism of Kerry

Obama admin threatens Israel over criticism of Kerry
By Associated Press July 28, 2014 11:50 am

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Obama administration officials are fuming over Israeli criticism of Secretary of State John Kerry's latest bid to secure a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas.
In unusually harsh language, officials say the criticism of Kerry could put the relationship between the U.S. and Israel in jeopardy. They also say the personal attacks on Kerry cross a line and are particularly disappointing at a time of active conflict.

Israeli media commentators have leveled almost nonstop criticism at Kerry in recent days over his attempts to bring Qatar and Turkey - two countries viewed by Israel as strong Hamas supporters - into the cease-fire negotiations. Kerry was also being accused of abandoning some of Israel's key demands during the negotiations.

In trying to implement the cease-fire over the weekend, "U.S. Secretary of State of State John Kerry ruined everything," wrote columnist Ari Shavit in Monday's Haaretz, Israel's leading liberal newspaper. "Very senior officials in Jerusalem described the proposal that Kerry put on the table as a `strategic terrorist attack'."

Kerry made no direct mention of the criticism during brief remarks Monday. However, he did seek to debunk the notion that the U.S. had backed away from its support for the demilitarization of Gaza, which has been a top priority for Israel.

"Any process to resolve the crisis in Gaza in a lasting and meaningful way must lead to the disarmament of Hamas and all terrorist groups," Kerry said.

Kerry returned to Washington Sunday after a week of shuttle diplomacy in the region failed to secure the weeklong cease-fire he sought.

U.S. frustration with Israel seeped into the White House's readout of a phone call Sunday between President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The White House said Obama told Netanyahu that the U.S. had "serious and growing concern" about the worsening humanitarian situation in Gaza. He also called to an "immediate, unconditional humanitarian cease-fire," according to the White House.

White House national security adviser Susan Rice was expected to address the situation in the Middle East later Monday. The U.S. officials who described the administration's view of the Israeli criticism insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter on the record by name.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 02:11:57 am »
DC Patriot wrote above:
[[ They should give the Palestinians 72 hours to get out and they should level it.  Bulldoze it  The entire Gaza. ]]

In complete agreement.

They should do the same with the West Bank -- literally drive every Palestinian out of it and across the border.

Then build a 40-foot-high wall around all their borders.

That's the way "cities" were protected in Old Testament times.
So it should be, again.

Israel built the wall a long time ago, in response to Yassar Arafat and the PLO sending suicide bombers onto packed public buses in Israel, and exploding themselves.  One of Hamas' demands is to reopen one of the crossings through the wall to unrestricted traffic in and out, which defeats the purpose entirely, endangers Israeli citizens, and helps Hamas rearm.

As long as Hamas exists these brush wars with Israel will continue to happen every few years.  As long as Hamas can smuggle increasingly larger and more powerful Iranian artillery rockets into Gaza from Egypt, and nothing is done to stop it, it will continue.  With the encouragement Hamas is getting from the Obama Administration right now it will only get worse.