Author Topic: Israel cabinet rejects Kerry cease-fire proposal in Gaza  (Read 648 times)

Offline flowers

Israel cabinet rejects Kerry cease-fire proposal in Gaza
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:12:49 pm »
http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Report-Kerry-cautiously-optimistic-cease-fire-deal-could-be-struck-Friday-368935

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's security cabinet has rejected proposals for a cease-fire in the Gaza Strip and is seeking changes to the plans, a government source said on Friday.

US Secretary of State John Kerry has been pushing for a halt to 18 days of fighting between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Full details of the proposed truce have not been released, but the government official, who declined to be named, said Israel wanted modifications before agreeing to any end to hostilities. Hamas has yet to respond to the proposed ceasefire.

Earlier Friday, Channel 10 cited sources in the diplomatic-security cabinet who said that Israel viewed Kerry's bridging proposals as "a Qatari proposal with ornaments."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Israel cabinet rejects Kerry cease-fire proposal in Gaza
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:28:52 pm »
I heard an illustration of the situation a few days ago on the radio. The ongoing violence by the muslims has to be trimmed every-so-often, life a lawn.

This time maybe Israel is opting to turn the soil over to a greater degree. They try to reduce Hams' ability to commit violence.

The Palis ought to learn, but don't.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »
I heard an illustration of the situation a few days ago on the radio. The ongoing violence by the muslims has to be trimmed every-so-often, life a lawn.

This time maybe Israel is opting to turn the soil over to a greater degree. They try to reduce Hams' ability to commit violence.

The Palis ought to learn, but don't.

I know this isn't going to be a "popular" opinion--but all the "trimming and soil turning" will do nothing but add months maybe a year or two to the next outbreak of violence which promises to be worse than this one.  If Israel is serious about wanting a sustained "quiet" perhaps it's time to look at and address the underlying reasons for this cycle of death and destruction.

Maybe, just maybe,  it's time for all to recognize that the status quo that hasn't worked for fifty years is not going to work, period.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:12:45 pm »
I know this isn't going to be a "popular" opinion--but all the "trimming and soil turning" will do nothing but add months maybe a year or two to the next outbreak of violence which promises to be worse than this one.  If Israel is serious about wanting a sustained "quiet" perhaps it's time to look at and address the underlying reasons for this cycle of death and destruction.

Maybe, just maybe,  it's time for all to recognize that the status quo that hasn't worked for fifty years is not going to work, period.
I'll not argue that a new paradigm is required.

But the Palis start with the premise that Israel should be destroyed, and that is hardly a "reasonable" position.

The Palis' problems could largely get solved, by decent leaders. But they keep elevating scoundrels, thugs, who exploit the ongoing conflict, instead of pursue peace and prosperity.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:18:45 pm »
"Maybe, just maybe,  it's time for all to recognize that the status quo that hasn't worked for fifty years is not going to work, period."

They are dealing with people who's stated objective is the annihilation of Israel and all it's Jewish population.

How would you suggest they deal with such people?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 10:36:47 pm »
I'll not argue that a new paradigm is required.

But the Palis start with the premise that Israel should be destroyed, and that is hardly a "reasonable" position.

I know.  I've heard this my whole life.  And I've believed it fully.  But after this round of fighting I can't help wonder what the situation would be today if somewhere during the past five decades the Palis had had something other than the destruction of Israel to live for.

I'm starting to think this is just not fixable.  The Israeli strict military control of borders, airspace, travel, living areas, water, electricity, collection and distribution of taxes, and the application of law is so entrenched in the Israeli narrative of national security that I don't see a change coming from this direction.  The  Palestinians are so filled with rage that I don't see how this can be diffused without more bloodshed.  And the leadership of other Arab countries just keep hoping it will all go away.

It's a mess.  Maybe the best that can be hoped for is the status quo with a sustained "quiet".   At least for a while.  :shrug: