Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton celebrates her pregnancy with a gluten-free baby shower in upscale Westchester, New York  (Read 952 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2703411/Wheat-intolerant-Chelsea-Clinton-celebrates-pregnancy-gluten-free-baby-shower-upscale-Westchester-New-York.html

Six months pregnant Chelsea Clinton reportedly celebrated her impending due date with a lavish -albeit healthy - baby shower in Westchester last week.

Hillary Clinton hosted the event at Crabtree's Kittle House, an upscale restaurant near the Clintons' estate in Chappaqua, New York, on July 13, according to the New York Daily News.

Due to the 34-year-old expectant mom's wheat intolerance, the menu was said to be 99per cent gluten free - as was the cake at her 2010 wedding to Marc Mezvinsky.

Offline mountaineer

Well la-di-friggin-da. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I didn't know she had celiac disease? Or is she just one of those idiot suckers who fall for whatever health(sic) fad of the day?

Offline mountaineer

I didn't know she had celiac disease? Or is she just one of those idiot suckers who fall for whatever health(sic) fad of the day?
If she really had celiac disease, she couldn't tolerate even a 99% gluten free item. Going GF is a fad.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

Yep.

What the heck is healthy about a gluten-free diet for someone not gluten intolerant?

There's nothing quite as wonderful and delicious as bread and cake! And to deny your guests the real thing? Just socially vapid.

Oceander

Gluten-free - unless you have celiac disease - is definitely a case of social idiocy.  The scientist who did the original study that suggested that eating gluten caused various minor ills like stomach upset redid his study, much more rigorously and methodically, and found that the "gluten" effect was nothing more than a placebo effect:  people who thought they were eating a gluten-containing diet - whether they actually were or not - reported symptoms; those who believed they were eating a gluten-free diet - whether they were or not - did not report symptoms.  He's a true scientist because he was honorable enough to publish the results and explicitly state that the apparent effects were not real.

Offline flowers

I a willing to bet she doesn't have it.  I would think Hillary would have been on the campaign trail fighting for the women who have it by now.  Or maybe this is a way to start that fake issue?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Gluten-free - unless you have celiac disease - is definitely a case of social idiocy.  The scientist who did the original study that suggested that eating gluten caused various minor ills like stomach upset redid his study, much more rigorously and methodically, and found that the "gluten" effect was nothing more than a placebo effect:  people who thought they were eating a gluten-containing diet - whether they actually were or not - reported symptoms; those who believed they were eating a gluten-free diet - whether they were or not - did not report symptoms.  He's a true scientist because he was honorable enough to publish the results and explicitly state that the apparent effects were not real.

yep...right up there with the whole radical vegan thang....there was some chick recently who got locked up for child abuse for refusing treatment for her kid until she could consult "a vegan Doctor". 

This whole thing is so perfectly Portlandian too....

:smokin:

Oceander

yep...right up there with the whole radical vegan thang....there was some chick recently who got locked up for child abuse for refusing treatment for her kid until she could consult "a vegan Doctor". 

This whole thing is so perfectly Portlandian too....

:smokin:

I recall reading about a pair of vegan-nuts who wound up getting into trouble for animal abuse - apparently they couldn't imagine why a vegan diet wasn't good for little kittens.