Author Topic: Afghan Girl, 10, Slated for Honor Killing After Being Raped  (Read 410 times)

rangerrebew

Afghan Girl, 10, Slated for Honor Killing After Being Raped
« on: Today at 03:48:40 PM »QuoteModifyRemovePublished on Clarion Project (http://www.clarionproject.org)

Home > Afghan Girl, 10, Slated for Honor Killing After Being Raped

Afghan Girl, 10, Slated for Honor Killing After Being Raped

A 10-year girl in Afghanistan is in danger of being honor-killed by her family after being violently raped by a mullah in a local mosque after her Quran class. After the family openly talked about killing the girl, the mullah offered to marry her, claiming to the authorities that he thought the girl was 17 and that the sex was consensual.

After nearly dying from her injuries sustained during the rape due to a delay in medical care, “Women for Afghan Women,” a shelter for battered women and children arranged for the girl to be taken to a hospital. Her injuries included a severing of the wall between her vagina and rectum that caused hemorrhaging.

After her recovery, she was taken to a women’s shelter to protect her from her family.

Pictures taken of the girl to document the case show a small, pre-pubescent child whose weight at the time was about 40 pounds (about 18 kilos), according to the doctor. 

Last week, the police were given orders to return the girl to her family, despite the fact that she will most likely be killed. Tuesday, the police entered the shelter and took the girl.

“I went to the hospital when they brought her there. I was sitting next to her bed when I overheard her mother and aunt saying that her father was under tremendous pressure by the villagers to kill the girl because she had brought shame to them,” said Nederah Geyah, who is the head of the women’s affairs office in Kunduz, Afghanistan.

Honor killings of girls who have been raped are common in Afghanistan, as family members believe that the raped girl brings shame to the family. Moreover, a girl who has been raped is considered not fit to be married and therefore must be supported by her family.

Dr. Hassina Sarwari, who is head of the shelter and a pediatrician, said when she arrived at the hospital to take the girl to the shelter, she encounter a large group of elders from the girl’s village. The group included male members of the girl’s family – her father, her brothers and an uncle.

Once inside, she met the girl’s aunt, who told the doctor she had been told by her husband to smuggle the girl out of the hospital and deposit her into the hands of the family outside.

“She said they wanted to take her and kill her, and dump her in the river,” Dr. Sarwari said. The doctor made her way to the girl’s room, where she found the girl and her mother holding hands and crying.

Dr. Sarwari remembers the mother’s word: “My daughter, may dust and soil protect you now,” she said. “We will make you a bed of dust and soil. We will send you to the cemetery where you will be safe.”

With the help of Geyah, the girl was rescued from her family and placed in the shelter. Geyah also helped initiate legal proceedings against the mullah. After publicizing the case, both women were threatened with death by the mullahs as well as the girl’s family. A militia commander demanded that the doctor return the girl to her family or face the consequences.

At one point, Dr. Sarwari was forced to go into hiding. Geyah has since resigned her job and moved to a different part of the country. Dr. Sarwari has said she wants to leave the country altogether.

Ironically, pressure has also come from locals who are angry at the shelter – not at the mullahs or the family. The shelter, which is one of seven in Afghanistan, is perceived as a tool of the Americans to destroy traditional Afghani culture.

Although the shelter does receive American aid money, no Americans work at the shelter. “W.A.W. is not American-run,” said Manizha Naderi, the shelter’s executive director. “Every single staff member is an Afghan. They are from the communities we work in. Our only concern is to make sure women and girls are protected and that they get justice.”

Geyah says that as the Americans prepare to leave, funding for the shelter as well as other progressive programs are starting to dry up. “We already see the signs of losing the support of the international community,” said Geyah, speaking in an interview before she left the job. “No one’s funding new civil society programs anymore. None of the foreigners show up anymore; they’re all in hiding. And I think what gains we have achieved the last 13 years, we’re slowly losing all of them.”

Dr. Sarwari says the police are cooperating with the mullah and the girl’s family. “There are a lot of powerful people behind the mullah,” she said. “The girl is easy. They can get to her; she’s their daughter.”

Meanwhile, authorities say, “The girl’s family gave us a guarantee that they would not harm her,” according to Sayed Sarwar Hussaini, who is in charge of the Kunduz police criminal investigation division. “We would not hand her back unless we were sure.”

Somehow that claim rings hollow in Afghanistan’s honor-based society.

Copyright © 2013 Clarion Project, Inc. All rights reserved.

Offline musiclady

Re: Afghan Girl, 10, Slated for Honor Killing After Being Raped
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:41 pm »
The shelter, which is one of seven in Afghanistan, is perceived as a tool of the Americans to destroy traditional Afghani culture.

Just think of the implications of this statement!  It's astounding that protecting a child from rape and murder is 'destroying traditional Afghani culture.'

Just for the record.................all religions are NOT the same.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:59 am »
music lady wrote above:
[[ Just think of the implications of this statement!  It's astounding that protecting a child from rape and murder is 'destroying traditional Afghani culture.' ]]

The only way we (of The West) might have prevailed in Afghanistan would have been by "destroying [the] traditional Afghani culture" -- and having done so, replacing it with Western Christian culture.

Same for Iraq.

I don't particularly care for Anne Coulter, but she spoke some of the most important words soon after the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks:
"Invade their countries. Kill their leaders. Convert them to Christianity."

We tried the first two recommendations.
But we failed in both countries because our leaders could not confront the third one.

Addendum:
And of course you're right -- all religions are NOT "the same".
At least one "religion" isn't even a religion, but a system of political and social control cloaked beneath the burqha of "religion". No need to state which one that is...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:24:53 am by Fishrrman »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:46:33 am »
The point where I disagree with you, Fishrrman, is with Iraq.

I've said it elsewhere, but I believe there was, in Iraq, the potential for a stable state, such as exists in Jordan and Turkey.  I believe that the collapse was due solely to the withdrawal of all our troops, removing any chance for stability.

Afghanistan is a different animal altogether.  They will, IMO, always be tribal and brutal, and there was nearly zero chance to help them become anything other than what they are.

Your assessment of Islam is accurate.  It's entire history is soaked in blood, from its violent founder to its terrorist present.

It is most certainly NOT just "another road to heaven."
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:53:49 am »
Wish I could buy a plane ticket there and shoot that Mullah myself.

The entire Muslim world appears insane.

Furthermore, if they can take hundreds of thousand of Central American children under the guise of the sex trade, they sure as heck could off the child asylum here.

What parent wouldn't choose that instead of killing their own child?   Jesus H. Christ.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:34:03 am »
music lady wrote above:
[[ Just think of the implications of this statement!  It's astounding that protecting a child from rape and murder is 'destroying traditional Afghani culture.' ]]

The only way we (of The West) might have prevailed in Afghanistan would have been by "destroying [the] traditional Afghani culture" -- and having done so, replacing it with Western Christian culture.

Same for Iraq.

I don't particularly care for Anne Coulter, but she spoke some of the most important words soon after the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks:
"Invade their countries. Kill their leaders. Convert them to Christianity."

We tried the first two recommendations.
But we failed in both countries because our leaders could not confront the third one.

Addendum:
And of course you're right -- all religions are NOT "the same".
At least one "religion" isn't even a religion, but a system of political and social control cloaked beneath the burqha of "religion". No need to state which one that is...

We usually agree on problems yet disagree on tactics.  :shrug:

I'd not convert them. Imposing a belief system is not our way - that's what the fanatics do. I am more fond of using their own tactics against them. Frighten them so hard that their grand children won't dare try anything.

Go in, hit hard fast and without pity. Make sure you leave one alive to spread the word. Rinse and repeat. It costs, sure. You are going to lose people. Good people - though they ain't no saints most of the time. Look at the current Israeli tactics in Gaza. Lifted directly out of the playbook of the Roman Empire. One of ours gets 10 of yours killed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink